Snorkeling Pictures

KPGirl

I love to snorkel, does anyone have any interesting snokel pictures ?? I just love to look at all the underwater creatures, especially turtles.

Turtle pic from Barbados. This turtle came right up to see what I had in my hand. ( a camera lol :D ) enjoy !

010_7A.jpg.49e88ef67a546099d45c658f966cf1c2.jpg

I have a Canon D10 waterproof camera. I love it so much (and I normally shoot with a dslr). I love the camera so much that I just (last week) purchased another one for our upcoming cruise because me and my hubby always fighting over who gets to use it at any given time while snorkeling. Now we'll each have our own. :D Last year I didn't even take my slr because I have complete confidence in the pictures the Canon D10 gives me. It takes awesome land pictures and awesome night pictures too including fireworks. :)

its funny that you are feeding those fish fruit loops, we did the same thing in cozumel, I had taken them off the ship incase we got hungry, the fish jumped right out of the water for them, we took some good pics and video of them.

Putterdude where were the sea turtles?? Some of your pictures have better colour then others, is that because of the colour of the ocean?? The turtles are so clear while some fish are kind of dull. Thanks so much for taking the time to show these pics to me.

Putterdude where were the sea turtles?? Some of your pictures have better colour then others, is that because of the colour of the ocean?? The turtles are so clear while some fish are kind of dull. Thanks so much for taking the time to show these pics to me.

The turtles are off Folkstone Beach in Barbados. The pictures have different quality of colour depending upon depth and the clarity of the water.

I have never tried using my flash underwater, what has been other peoples experience with using the flash on the D10?

I have never tried using my flash underwater, what has been other peoples experience with using the flash on the D10?

I have always heard you get better results if you use the flash under water too. However, I always seem to forget to try it. Up until our cruise a few months ago, I kept forgetting to use the video as well. Last cruise I managed to sneak in some video time. This year, we have 2 Canon D10's. Hopefully we won't miss anything...pictures or videos. :D

Unless the water is crystal clear and I mean like gin, try not to use a flash a snorkeling depths. A flash will highlight any particles in the water and create a ton of back-scatter in the frame. Sunlight at snorkeling depths down to 30 feet or so is more than adequate with a camera like the D10. Plus, many fish eyes will reflect the light making it look like they have laser beams emanating from their eyes.

You best friend for making underwater images look better is good post processing. The "I'm Feeling Lucky" feature on Google's free Picasa photo software program can work wonders on underwater pictures. The various Adobe programs have as good and better post processing as well.

Lots of good info + snorkeling picture taking advice and some amazing images on the Snorkeling Forum on ScubaBoard

Thanks for the advice. That makes sense since it would basically work the same as if it was snowing out...you use the flash, you are going to get the snow flakes coming down in front of you.

I've been pretty lucky with all my underwater pictures so far. :) I just think I'll continue to do the same thing. :D

Anyone have pictures of the shipwrecks in Barbados? Especially in Carlisle bay? Wondering what we will see if we are not scuba diving...

We are snorkeling Barbados & Dominica, now I have to choose St. Lucia Jalhouise Beach or St Thomas Saphire Beach. Help please as it is only 1 or the other.

I have tried using mine and have not seen any difference in the color. I suspect it may, in my case, be because most of the pictures I have taken have been no deeper than 15' and the light is sufficiently bright so it doesn't matter. What I did note though, was that with the flash on, it took a lot longer between shots, and I missed a few while waiting for the recharge, and it drains the battery much more quickly.

Archived