World cruise QM2--take plunge with family of 5?

quandrea

Posted on Cunard board but not getting any replies.

We have a World Cruise segment on hold until Wednesday when we must firm up. Deciding if we should take the plunge.

We are a family of five. The segment we are looking at begins next year, January third in New York. We do the transatlantic in connecting insides and then depart Southampton on January tenth in a balcony stateroom and an inside triple across the hall. Land in Sydney on February 25, where we will disembark.

Wondering how much we need to budget for shore excursions. Also wondering if we should just wait twelve to fifteen years and go without the children once they are grown.

The biggest wrinkle seems to be the dogs. Leaving them for two weeks with my mother in law and brother in law is a big deal.

We homeschool and would continue our studies while abroad. Husband could work from the ship as well.

It seems like an adventure of a lifetime, but the notion of checking out of life for two months is also quite daunting. It would certainly be simpler in the future when our kids will be grown and can watch the dogs, house, etc; but the idea of taking the children on this trip while we are still homeschooling seems remarkable and quite the experience for our family.

I'd really appreciate any input world cruisers might have regarding budget, leaving one's life behind, the pros and cons of world cruising etc. Hope to get some honest feedback that will aid in our decision.

How great you can afford to do such a cruise! It would take a pretty big lottery win for a family of 5.

We are very fortunate, yes. I think we are at a special time in our lives, where we have the freedom to travel because of homeschooling. My eldest daughter will reenter school in 2018 when she begins high school, so this time is fleeting. On the other hand, packing all five of us up is a big deal. So the question is, would you book the trip as a family, or put it off for a little over ten years?

Have you cruised Queens prior? With family? No answer from Cunard forum maybe because its somewhat of a formal Euro ship.Was on Cunard in Summer many years ago.No kids.They dress for dinner too.I would take a short trial cruise on them before committing.

Thanks to all. We have cruised Cunard before. Transatlantic back in 2008. We are booked on the QM2 for Canada/New England in September. We really like the line. Our daughter loved the kids programme in 2008. We just have to figure out what to do with the dogs. That is the biggest stumbling block.

We are looking at San Francisco to Sydney on the Queen Elizabeth, 13 nights in Australia and finally Queen Victoria from Sydney back to San Francisco. Just discovered that voyage today and it keeps us from making that flight back from Australia.

I would bite the bullet and go for it

You never know what life deals out to you and yours

I have recently tackled whether to do the World Cruise - and finally just went ahead and booked it - had to figure out what sort of job I may have when I get back but it seems to have all fallen into place - lots of saving and a bit of overtime between now and May next year

If you can afford it - then do it imho...... as for $$$$$ - its like any holiday - you can spend spend spend or be careful and not need so many dollars - having travelled a fair bit around the world I can attest to that - while raising a relatively large family have travelled quite broadly - and my kids, well, they are just fantastic and worldly too and ummm travelling in mums footsteps and seeing the world before babies and weddings etc etc - what more could I hope for - they do Uni and then off around the world

U go girl.....:) :cool:

I am constantly reminded of people who put things off and then for one reason or another they never get to do them. Since your children are homeschooled anyway why not let them learn about the world by actually visiting far away places and making forever memories.

The summer before I turned 12, my mother took me to Europe. We had some interesting experiences that I have never forgotten. When my mother died, I decided to take my daughter on a trip to Europe. That was 30 years ago and we still talk about what we saw and did and the people we met.

Travel helps everyone learn more about their world. Everything (except the dogs) seem to align for a chance of a lifetime. Take the kids and have a wonderful family adventure!

BTW, I left you a post on the Cunard forum. For the excursions I forgot to mention that the hop-on,hop-off buses are a great way to see a lot for less than the cost of a ship excursion. If you decide to do the world voyage, check out which ports have a HOHO bus.

I am constantly reminded of people who put things off and then for one reason or another they never get to do them. Since your children are homeschooled anyway why not let them learn about the world by actually visiting far away places and making forever memories.

The summer before I turned 12, my mother took me to Europe. We had some interesting experiences that I have never forgotten. When my mother died, I decided to take my daughter on a trip to Europe. That was 30 years ago and we still talk about what we saw and did and the people we met.

Travel helps everyone learn more about their world. Everything (except the dogs) seem to align for a chance of a lifetime. Take the kids and have a wonderful family adventure!

BTW, I left you a post on the Cunard forum. For the excursions I forgot to mention that the hop-on,hop-off buses are a great way to see a lot for less than the cost of a ship excursion. If you decide to do the world voyage, check out which ports have a HOHO bus.

Thank you for all your help. My husband and I talked more this morning. I think we are leaning towards going. I think my brother in law would take the dogs. Husband's lost income is a consideration, but one that could be accommodated. We have until Thursday to decide. This window of opportunity with our children will close in a year or two and we will have to wait over a decade to go again. As you say, lots can happen in ten years and we may never get to it. Travelling just the two of us in the future will no doubt be very different than a family experience. I will keep you all posted. I am really enjoying reading the various blogs by world cruisers here and on the Cunard forum. It has really helped in the decision making/planning process.

If we do decide to go, my mother in law is going to have a fit. She will have a very hard time being away from the children for so long.

Please do this. I have no experience going on a world cruise with or without kids, but I am a mama (mine are young enough the experience would be a waste). I'm sure there will be days you think you were crazy for doing this, but what an incredible gift it will be for your kids to see so much of the world at formative ages! And the memories you make--good and bad--will be things your family laughs and talks about for years to come. This sounds like a dream home school trip to me and the mama and teacher in me is totally planning all the amazing lesson plans you could do to correspond with this trip and the places you will see.

If you can swing the trip, you should jump on it and just take a kid-free world cruise again in 10 or 15 years. ;) Maybe you could split up who keeps the pet(s) so no one has them for the entire time if that's the biggest issue.

Please do this. I have no experience going on a world cruise with or without kids, but I am a mama (mine are young enough the experience would be a waste). I'm sure there will be days you think you were crazy for doing this, but what an incredible gift it will be for your kids to see so much of the world at formative ages! And the memories you make--good and bad--will be things your family laughs and talks about for years to come. This sounds like a dream home school trip to me and the mama and teacher in me is totally planning all the amazing lesson plans you could do to correspond with this trip and the places you will see.

If you can swing the trip, you should jump on it and just take a kid-free world cruise again in 10 or 15 years. ;) Maybe you could split up who keeps the pet(s) so no one has them for the entire time if that's the biggest issue.

Thanks for the encouragement. Great idea about splitting the time for pets. I see you have twins. So do I! It's a wonderful journey; mine are six now. We went on a Baltic cruise when they were eight months. Wonderful trip.

Thanks for the encouragement. Great idea about splitting the time for pets. I see you have twins. So do I! It's a wonderful journey; mine are six now. We went on a Baltic cruise when they were eight months. Wonderful trip.

Ours are almost three and we have a one year old (because we're crazy). We haven't been brave enough to take them on a cruise yet, but maybe we will soon. On a side note, if you end up doing the world cruise with the kids, you should write a review or blog of the trip. I think that would be great reading!

Edited by bakingem

Well we did it. Placed the deposits down this afternoon. Yikes! That was a big hit to the VISA. Ah well. Hubby and I decided last night that we will book. If something were to come up professionally that meant we had to cancel, so be it.

Here's our plan:

21 nights on Queen Elizabeth San Francisco to Sydney.

13 nights in Australia

25 nights on Queen Victoria to San Francisco.

This prevents us having to endure any long flights. We also don't take the massive financial hit of flying home from Australia. Looks like air will be very reasonable and husband says he'd rather put that money into actual time away.

Dogs will be with my brother in law.

We will homeschool on the road. I will have to figure out what books absolutely must come, as we like to travel light.

So if all goes according to plan, we will actually be due to arrive in Sydney exactly one year from today.

Lots to do.

Oh. I had originally booked with Cunard directly. Which I actually like doing, as I take a fair bit of time selecting the staterooms so we are next to or across from each other. Transferred to my travel agent today. They will be picking up all the gratuities for each voyage. Excellent.

Travel insurance - call either Insuremytrip or Thetripinsurancestore !! Don't leave the country without protection for your family! For the best pricing you need to do this the first 14 days. Talk to them about which features are most important (business cancellation, ill family, pre-existing illness, family illness etc)

Your medical insurance at home rarely covers out of country and you need to understand all the issues. Some providers even cover the children free so ask about that!

To the original poster, I am just seeing your message.

GO< GO< GO<GO< GO...you are so blessed to be in good health to go. This will be a memory for your children for the rest of their lives. 30 years from NOW, they will be talking about this trip with their children.

Please go, I wish I could go with you.

To the original poster, I am just seeing your message.

GO< GO< GO<GO< GO...you are so blessed to be in good health to go. This will be a memory for your children for the rest of their lives. 30 years from NOW, they will be talking about this trip with their children.

Please go, I wish I could go with you.

We are booked. Our good health was a consideration when booking. We are young and lucky enough to be free from school schedules. Hubby can work on the road. This won't be the case forever and who knows where we will be in ten to fifteen years. We are doing it.

Now the weather in the South Pacific is scaring me a bit. I've been reading accounts of this year's WC and it's a bit frightening.

quandrea, I would not worry. We've sailed that area many times. Captains are monitoring weather like this days if not a couple of weeks in advance and adjustments are made if necessary. We have had some terrific sailings.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I've been . Reading the entire World Cruise board. You are kind enough to offer so much valuable information. How many times have you made the journey. If next year goes well, perhaps we will do a full WC some day.

On a,side note, we told my mother in law today. She is not happy. Hubby asked her to come too but she said she will probably be dead by then. She is a healthy 78 right now. She will get used to the idea. I know how much she will miss us. Her coming too would be so good for her, but shed never do it.

• 3 months later...

We taken long segments of the world cruise 3 X and there was always from 1-3 children on board. Everyone will get to know them. Last year there was with a 12 year old and his older sister and parents. The 12 year old ended up playing Settlers of Catan with us every sea day. It is a good way to get children to learn how to interact and converse with older people that they don't know. Which will be a useful skill as they grow older. And by experiencing other cultures and people, the world view that traveling can give children is wonderful. When my son was in 5th grade we took an extended family trip to Honduras. He had to leave school a couple of weeks early. He did an assignment on the Mayan Ruins that we visited and presented in the Fall to his six grade class. He is 30 and still talks about this trip today.

We are booked. Our good health was a consideration when booking. We are young and lucky enough to be free from school schedules. Hubby can work on the road. This won't be the case forever and who knows where we will be in ten to fifteen years. We are doing it.

Now the weather in the South Pacific is scaring me a bit. I've been reading accounts of this year's WC and it's a bit frightening.

I shouldn't worry about the weather in the South Pacific at that time of year if I were you.

We have crossed many times on various World segments including Cunard...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/01/06/queen-mary-2-southampton-to-sydney/

...and last year on Silversea.

16304653998_592ed0cc17_z.jpg

The weather on all occasions was perfect.

I shouldn't worry about the weather in the South Pacific at that time of year if I were you.

We have crossed many times on various World segments including Cunard...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/01/06/queen-mary-2-southampton-to-sydney/

...and last year on Silversea.

16304653998_592ed0cc17_z.jpg

The weather on all occasions was perfect.

Thank you for the reassurance. Lovely pictures.

We taken long segments of the world cruise 3 X and there was always from 1-3 children on board. Everyone will get to know them. Last year there was with a 12 year old and his older sister and parents. The 12 year old ended up playing Settlers of Catan with us every sea day. It is a good way to get children to learn how to interact and converse with older people that they don't know. Which will be a useful skill as they grow older. And by experiencing other cultures and people, the world view that traveling can give children is wonderful. When my son was in 5th grade we took an extended family trip to Honduras. He had to leave school a couple of weeks early. He did an assignment on the Mayan Ruins that we visited and presented in the Fall to his six grade class. He is 30 and still talks about this trip today.

This sounds so great. We have Settlers of Catan but never have the time to play. I'm going to pull it out and learn with her. Great tip. So glad to see this thread active again. We have made headway with plans. Our two weeks in Australia is planned. Visiting the Blue Mountains for two nights in a lovely house. Three nights on an olive farm in the Hunter Valley. Eight nights in Sydney. Seeing old friends in Sydney too. Looking forward to getting to Hawaii again. None of us have seen New Zealand--lots of research to do. Same for SanFrancisco.

I was also able to save nearly six thousand on our booking. Prices went down, I cancelled and rebooked. Managed to keep all incentives too, same cabins. I am sure putting my travel agent to work though!