Guaranty Balcony?

cookiejarvis

Last night DH yells through the walls to come here, something to show me. He had completed a mock booking of our cruise in July and discovered the new Balcony SAle. We decided to go for it. We had already paid in full for our OV room. In essence we had to cancel our reservations and rebook the balcony. Total cost of the move was $195 for three of us. Downside, we had to do a balcony guaranty.

My questions:

1. When will we get notice of balcony assignment?

2. We were linked to two other reservations for dining late. Now says we are waitlisted for late dining. Can we change this to eat with our family?

3. Did we make a hugh mistake?:eek:

I've only done a guarantee once on Carnival, and I received my cabin assignment a few months before the cruise, after final payment. But I don't think there is any set date they have to inform you. I think I've heard of people not finding out their cabin number until a few days before.

I don't think you made a mistake at all by booking a guarantee. It's generally a great deal on a balcony cabin. As far as the dinner reservations, I would email the maitre d, explain the situation, and ask if there is any way you can be seated together again. Never hurts to ask.

P.S. You could also send a note to John Heald on Facebook, and explain the dining situation to him as well. Often, he seems to be able to get these things worked out.

Edited by Fitzget

I've only done a guarantee once on Carnival, and I received my cabin assignment a few months before the cruise, after final payment. But I don't think there is any set date they have to inform you. I think I've heard of people not finding out their cabin number until a few days before.

I don't think you made a mistake at all by booking a guarantee. It's generally a great deal on a balcony cabin. As far as the dinner reservations, I would email the maitre d, explain the situation, and ask if there is any way you can be seated together again. Never hurts to ask.

P.S. You could also send a note to John Heald on Facebook, and explain the dining situation to him as well. Often, he seems to be able to get these things worked out.

Thanks for the advice.:)

Last night DH yells through the walls to come here, something to show me. He had completed a mock booking of our cruise in July and discovered the new Balcony SAle. We decided to go for it. We had already paid in full for our OV room. In essence we had to cancel our reservations and rebook the balcony. Total cost of the move was $195 for three of us. Downside, we had to do a balcony guaranty.

My questions:

1. When will we get notice of balcony assignment?

It can be assinged anytime up until you cruise

2. We were linked to two other reservations for dining late. Now says we are waitlisted for late dining. Can we change this to eat with our family?

You may have to wait until you board the ship and visit the dining room to make a change. I have seen people say sometimes the first day they cannot change, but by the second night, they can....

3. Did we make a hugh mistake?:eek:

Probably not, but you could be eating at a different time, at least for the first night, and the balcony you get, could very will be obstructed with lifeboats in front of your balcony, so you view might not be great.

We've only done a balcony guarantee once but that when it was just my DH and I traveling. We didn't have to worry about being close to another's room. We ended up with a great room, aft section on my favorite deck. Could not have asked for better. We got our room assignment about 28 days prior to sailing but I think it varies.

You just have to take the attitude that any balcony will be fine, then you'll be ok with whatever you get.

As for dining, keep checking your reservation for availability. If you're still wait listed, go see the maître d at embarkation day to try to change.

Probably not, but you could be eating at a different time, at least for the first night, and the balcony you get, could very will be obstructed with lifeboats in front of your balcony, so you view might not be great.

There are no balcony cabins on Sunshine with obstructed views. Lifeboats are several decks below the first deck of balcony cabins.

Thanks to all who responded...you have abated my concerns. The way we saw it, we now have a balcony, whether obstructed or not, we can walk out for fresh air. Now hearing that there are no obstructed balconies on Sunshine, I am excited. I guess now we just have to wait til assignment.

Thanks to all who responded...you have abated my concerns. The way we saw it, we now have a balcony, whether obstructed or not, we can walk out for fresh air. Now hearing that there are no obstructed balconies on Sunshine, I am excited. I guess now we just have to wait til assignment.

Have an awesome cruise, and be sure to report back when you get your assignment. :D:D

We even had an obstructed Balcony on The Legend once. It was on a Guar booking.

We loved it. We were on the Upper Deck. right by the elevators. there are few cabins on that deck on the Legend, or around us..not many. it was quiet. Like cruising alone .

When it came to hall noise, or hall traffic., the quiet was almost eerie.

The balcony had somewhat of a view. We were very pleased. And on other lines..HAL, Princess.............I have never gotten a GUAR cabin that was not an upgrade, and that I was not happy to get.

I would do it in a heartbeat.