.......idle jottings

ho-hum

We've been on a road trip to the frozen north, visiting friends and relatives. Much of the time was spent in the land of 3.2 beer :eek: Spent two days at Zion National Park, quite a remarkable place. We had the pony with us so the logistics were interesting....

Tip on Zion: in November and the winter months you can drive into the main canyon on weekdays. Otherwise you have to use the park's shuttle system. With a car you can stop at the many turn outs to take some spectacular photos. And you can bring your four-legged friends (but they are restricted as to where they can go outside the car).

Nice trip, but cold! Made coming back to San Clemente seem like returning to paradise :)

There were three new couples who had never "done a crossing": each couple re-booked !

They would'nt have done that had it been hell.

Reminds me of our first experience on SD, ho-hum. Storms and high seas for two days sailing out of San Juan. Sick as a dog and swore I would never do a small ship again. Now I have a closet full of SD pajamas. Zimmy's DH

We've been on a road trip to the frozen north, visiting friends and relatives. Much of the time was spent in the land of 3.2 beer :eek: Spent two days at Zion National Park, quite a remarkable place. We had the pony with us so the logistics were interesting....

Tip on Zion: in November and the winter months you can drive into the main canyon on weekdays. Otherwise you have to use the park's shuttle system. With a car you can stop at the many turn outs to take some spectacular photos. And you can bring your four-legged friends (but they are restricted as to where they can go outside the car).

Nice trip, but cold! Made coming back to San Clemente seem like returning to paradise :)

Sounds great.

Temperatures in Poshland dropped to near freezing last night and are set to continue.

Brrrrrr........

Blondie not a happy bunny.

Time for open fires, hearty stews and a Chateauneuf or two....

Always a solution !

So are you coming to SDII with Jimmy-boy and yours truly ?

The light is fantastic.......at the TOYB at least !

Reminds me of our first experience on SD, ho-hum. Storms and high seas for two days sailing out of San Juan. Sick as a dog and swore I would never do a small ship again. Now I have a closet full of SD pajamas. Zimmy's DH

Haha.......

Nice to hear from you Zimmy.

So did you get over the effects of the "ocean in the motion" then ?

Those pyjamas ehhh......there is a "Ho Hum" tribe in West Africa where they all walk around in Hum's pyjamas collected over the years !

Hum is chief of the village and am allowed to let my goat herd feed where they like !

"So are you coming to SDII with Jimmy-boy and yours truly ?"

Sadly, no. Too many irons in the fire :( But will expect daily blogging from you two!

Not from here. Last time on SD, the internet was so bad as to be useless. DW says I am not to buy internet on ships anymore. As they say: "Happy Wife, Happy Life".:eek: Besides, when H-H is finished educating my savage palate into the world of fine wines, I doubt I will even be able to find the keyboard.

The chums you meet on SD.

Just back from a lunch in Poshtown run by a supposed celebrity chef where we met up with posh English chums and great mates.

The food was really quite good, the wine list "pedestrian" but the service.......

Staffed by young schoolgirls Hum's guessing.

Well it is Sunday, so pocket money for them.

The girls were very well presented in black ensembles (blouses, skirts, leggings, shoes: hair tied back) and they were "dolled up" applied with restraint and finesse actually. Nice job girls: parents would be proud.

They were polite too but the lack of training was clear.

Such a shame.

Hum quietly "barked" at the gormless maitre d' for some attention after sitting without service for several minutes.

And so soon we were talking about the service on SD.

"This wouldn't happen on SD, that would' t happen on SD"

"Oh wasn't Werner brilliant but Goran, isn't he marvellous ?"

"And Christophe .......oh yes".

And so finally having received a G&T.

WHAT !

There's a ruddy orange in it !!!

Hey maitre d' what's this ?

Yes we are proud of our bespoke gins.

But the orange !!

Yes, we think it's an original twist.

Well, you are wrong, it's a mistake and a ruddy big one now please take it away and provide a new one with a lemon slice !

Very good sir.

It returned ...... It was so-so. Hum loves a cheap Spanish gin called Larios. No not the posh one...the really,really cheap one.

Well finally the food arrived and it was fine; a good, competent job.

The relief was palpable.

Blondie used to do business lunches here every day of the week and would polish off a bottle (champagne, of course) with a few imbibers.

She could drink them under the table and boy she got some amazing deals.

Then Britain inherited the puritanical, earnest American work ethic and the "writing was on the wall". She employed nerds who spoke to other nerds and lunches were history.

So we hadn't visited this restaurant for "donkey years". We had had a great time here, when Hum was occasionally "wheeled out" after Blondie had done the deal.

Hum was a liability ...... still is !!

So these chums are faced with the dilemma, that to meet up with Blondie they have to meet Hum too ! Yikes !

Blondie is great and Hum never wishes to embarrass her .... well not intentionally.

Well these two chums were extremely gracious and despite Hum telling the maitre d' to "dont be a stranger" we kind of accepted the service.

Well we chatted and chatted, then hugged and kissed at the end.

No, we wouldn't be meeting up again until 2017.....,promises to keep in touch and they must visit the "pile" next time. No pressure to stay. We will show them the guest lodge so they know it is "half decent".

Help! I need an intervention. I've begun posting on the Windstar board as if they were the IJ crowd. And they are not....

Moderators, please forgive me.

Update: I emailed the moderators to ask them to remove a post that may seem a bit harsh. Would just be a casual comment on IJ :-)

You don't need an intervention.....they need "a reality dose" !

Go for it Raggy !

Haha.....your comment/s was/were a bit too robust ehh ?

Thank heavens for "our" Host Dan....he allows some licence though Hum remains on a warning for LIFE !

But that aside.

Hum retreats to the "jottings" for the more colourful infused comments about anything and provided Hum stays there, some tolerance is permitted except when certain "dullards" complain.

And they do......

One day, "....idle jottings" may simply be pulled.

Not if Hum goes first though.

Hum began reading the post on Windstar to which you last posted and found it generally so dull except for the starter pist: it was hilarious.

Here is an extract:

We are frequent travelers to many U.S. we booked early and prices went down after the 60 days window had closed.........

I would have rated the cruises a 4 if it weren't for the problem we had in Kusadasi. At the end of the shore excursion, the guide left us at a Windstar approved store in Kusadasi named Heirloom. They were very aggressive and oversold us a Turkish rug and lots of jewelry. They kept giving us wine and frankly we weren't clear headed when we purchased the items. We went way over what we could afford and didn't even realize it until later when we added up the bill. The reason is because they sell you one item at a time and convince you that you can't live without the item, they stress how unique it is and what a good deal they are giving you. We actually didn't even know how much we had spent until we added up the bill the next day. When I reported this to Windstar, the Captain and Hotel Manager acted concerned and told us to speak to the Shore Excursions Manager. He was not at all helpful and said there was nothing he could do. I asked for help in returning the items and getting a refund. He said that was not possible. He said he would get us authentication certificates to verify the quality of the jewelry but he never followed up. In my opinion, if Windstar recommends a store on a shore excursion and puts their name on a sign outside the store, then Windstar should take responsibility for helping its guests when they have a problem. The management at Windstar was very hands off about our problem. For this reason, we will never go on a Windstar cruise again. This is a shame because we were Windstar fanatics until now. I plan to write a letter to the CEO and see if the corporate headquarters can help us......

Essentially they were complaining vehemently (the post went on for ages too) that they "hated" Windstar because they bought a carpet !

Quite extraordinary !!!

Spread the "spirit of idle jottings" far and wide, Hum sayeth unto you so that others are saved from these banalities and blaming others for being a ........

News in late last night from SDII......

SDII have had their USPH inspection and passed with an incredible 98 points !!!

A truly amazing achievement after all they had to contend with recently.

What a crew.

Now they can relax a tad and enjoy the Caribbean a bit more and have a bit more time for themselves.

So very happy for them.

Oh man, the one about the drunken purchases was too ripe to comment on. And some of the replies were merciless, some overly so, would even raise eyebrows on IJ....

My latest post was in reply to someone complaining that they refused to pay a "30% surcharge" because Windstar charges in $US rather than in the recently flaccid $CAN. And that this "surcharge" was the reason WS pax loads on the refurbed SB triplets was low, due to a reduction in Canadian pax....

By the way, the population of Canada is less than that of California, and its GDP per capita is less. So the loonie fizzling is unlikely to affect WS much. At least for summer cruises. Would not suprise me if the entire population of Canada decamps for the Caribbean in the winter :eek:

Oh man, the one about the drunken purchases was too ripe to comment on. And some of the replies were merciless, some overly so, would even raise eyebrows on IJ....

Would not suprise me if the entire population of Canada decamps for the Caribbean in the winter :eek:

Nope. Most of them are down here in Arizona.......Driving slow.......In the left lane.

As to the "drunken purchases", I have made a few questionable purchases on cruises over the years but to admit it that way on a public forum and blaming demon rum for my shortcomings????:eek: Not hardly. DW sums it up for me every time with "Stupid has a price".:eek::D

Edited by Jim Avery

I read that Windstar thread with interest as we have had wonderful times on the old small triplets of Seabourn and it is sad to read of the decline in food, service, and upkeep. That's the way it goes though and Xanterra, who also run lots of hotels and other facilities in US National Parks, has shown that they can take a great facility like El Tovar at the Grand Canyon and infuse it with lackluster food and service.

I will be able to report on the Legend by mid-March. We snagged a sale on the far southern Caribbean cruise, for only $1,900 pp (after originally paying $2,400) Expectations are low.... But, the itinerary is great, lots of diving opportunities. The ship spends a lot of time in each port. One sea day in the 7 day criuise. Spending three nights on Barbados pre and one night on Aruba post. A little caribbean sunshine always welcome in the winter, even for us SoCal types.

Come, come Jimmy boy, the internet has been more than adequate for a long while now on SD.

Even able to upload photos from the middle of the Atlantic t'boot !

When did you last sail ?

1972 !

Though SD again failed in producing a Crossing blog !

Rotten sports ! or Lazy sports !

Not a great choice between them.

Suppose they did'nt want to post pictures of "large, hairy back-sided Polish workers" welding panels to the side of the ship whilst eating pickled garlic sandwiches 'tween swigs of vodka !!

No of course it did'nt happen ! (they were salami sandwiches 'tween swigs of industrial alcohol) !

One enterprising SD chum was wily posting on a social media site though.

Hum tried to persuade him to post here but sadly to no avail.

It is a bit more of a to do to send photos here.

Hum does because he loves each and every one of you.

It was a shame about the xing blog as one of the Concierge ladies (the amazingly talented Frud) is a very fine photographer but Hum's guessing, orders from the "bunker deep in the mountain" somewhere outside Oslo had told them to keep "schtum" (love those Yiddish expressions) because of works onboard and weather.

Shame, it was completely censored or they could'nt be bothered.

One year we hit a wave that sprayed over the satellite !

That was published. Oslo saw it and it went ! Remove ! Dumped !

Hum was willingly tutored in wine by one of the worlds top 5 connoisseurs over a 10 year association: we are the closest of chums still and share a love of the same calibre of classic Old World wines loving the lesser known regions of Italy in particular.

Hum prays everyday to the Gods of wine for this truly wondrous piece of amazing fortune which has so enriched Hum's life.

Hum feels he has chums from all over the world stretching back to the beginning of time......which to creationists is a few years ago !

Awakening the faculty of discernment within oneself is the beginning of it all.

No education needed.

And for that to happen, one's palate must be "virginally pure" !

So, Jimmy boy,

No drinking anything except filtered water until we meet for lesson one !

And first glass to be about 11am when palate is at it's keenest.

Don't worry about becoming inebriated.

You will be spitting !

Check wind direction first.

Don't worry we can spit over side from the bar stool.

Start practicing spitting.

See how the Aussies do it: vulgar lot but impressive bunch.

[YOUTUBE]C6lWG-aGHvQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by ho-hum

I will be able to report on the Legend by mid-March. We snagged a sale on the far southern Caribbean cruise, for only $1,900 pp (after originally paying $2,400) Expectations are low.... But, the itinerary is great, lots of diving opportunities. The ship spends a lot of time in each port. One sea day in the 7 day criuise. Spending three nights on Barbados pre and one night on Aruba post. A little caribbean sunshine always welcome in the winter, even for us SoCal types.

Sounds an amazing deal.....yes would be interested to hear all about it Raggy.

I did forget to mention that SD II often has British Royalty on board. During those times, certain sartorial differences could be imposed. You pays your money and you takes your chances.........:eek::D

Haha !!!

Quite correct.

You old scoundrel, you......

Just what is the frigging problem dressing ......err...a bit smart ?

Explain.

No really Hum wants to know.

Hum always dresses smartly especially at the weekly court appearances for "general public nuisance" offences !

And it pays off....always released...works everytime.

"Yes your honour, no your honour, no Hum promises it will never happen again your honour. See you in the Red Lion for a quick "snifter" your honour"

If Hum wanted to go to a BBQ drinking out of a "tinnie" (quite disgusting, by the way) then he would dress appropriately: Aussie or even worse, Kiwi !

If Hum must.

Fortunately for Hum, he knows some very civilised Aussies, one of whom has all his jackets tailored in New York.

He looks amazing and as befits his appearance, he is a super-duper high flyer of impeccable manners and loved by all especially his 86 year old mother with whom Hum and Blondie holidays with.

Oh how Hum wanders off.

Kiwis ? Scruffy bunch, generally speaking.

And morose.

Terribly dull people.

Have you ever seen "Lord of the Rings" ?

You know it's filmed in NZ.

It's not just the landscapes they film......it's the "people" too... Orks etc...

Best avoid.

Hate their wines too.

Beers even worse.

Oh Hum likes "Flight of the Conchords": very funny.

Based on laughing at being Kiwis......lot of material there.

Where was Hum ?

Fortunately Hum does not know any friends who like to stand, engulfed in smoke, eating burnt meat, drinking from tins, involved in inane conversation about what happened on the recent episode of "Jerry Springer", surrounded by "Neanderthals", screaming kids, "horny" dogs (Hum is a sex god to Dobermans) and under 100 degree height developing the final stages of sun stroke !

Oh the fun !

Hum rarely accepts BBQ invitations. Especially from English people. We are prone to burning adjoining hedges and creating widespread garden fires as well as giving everyone salmonella !

No BBQs for HH....

Back to topic.

If you are on a bespoke vessel then dress accordingly and especially if you are in the Dining-Room.

Hum has observed very occasionally, guests being very politely requested to re-consider their very casual ensemble and boy do they get annoyed.

Thus equating the very casual with ignorant slobs with an un-pleasant attitude.

Good riddance.

And the best dressed are always wonderful human beings..... Exquisite manners, convivial, inclusive......

Will some aficionado or advocate of "slobby" dressing bother to drag themself off the littered couch and make a clearing on the table from old take away boxes and beer cans and explain just what is so frigging marvellous it is to throw any old clothes on under the misguided appellation that this is "casual" and somehow acceptable ?

We have to look at you.

It aint pretty.....wash, wear clean clothes and try to look a bit smart and pretend to take an interest in others.....you might well be surprised that the "old wreck" you are talking too was young once and had a far more interesting life than you !

Yes, it is "out of your comfort zone" but do try dearest. Do try.

Hum has never watched "Downton Abbey".

Well why would he ?

It would be the equivalent of Australian TVs "Neighbours" for Hum.

We live "cheek to jowl" with aristos.....ruddy difficult if you need a tradesman !

So why the world wide fascination with Downton but wishing to dress and behave like "guests" on Jerry Springer ?

Oh and dont get Hum on to table manners !!!!!

Fortunately Hum only dines with a few people and all have perfect manners but there are very, very occasionally some sights on near tables !

The curious use of the fork by a very few in particular is a gross fascination to Hum sometimes (always women for some strange reason.......they only eat with the fork: you imagine them holding a phone to their ear with the other hand talking about some banality or other).

Another reason for SD.......nearly all guests are mannered, polite and friendly and do appear smart.

Oh and they are interesting too.

On a vessel like SD you bump into so many people.

Of course old Hum "hams it up" and puts on the accent a bit thick: works every time !

"Oh you must British"

Well dear lady, how discerning of you if Hum may be so bold.

In the Carib....Hum dresses slightly down but will wear a jacket if eating inside most times (it covers up the creased linen shirt, that way will get another day out of it).

In the Med....Hum dresses in full regalia.....medals, sash, ceremonial sword, ostrich plumed hat etcc...

Blondie wears 6" heels at every dinner and will be adorned with a tiara at certain ports in case royalty are about (Monaco for sure).

Finally, if you host a dinner party or are simply a fellow guest at a party or table then it is essential not to be a snob about all this stuff despite the foregoing drivel !

Be inclusive, ask about fellow diners, never talk about yourself, be attentive, smile, appear interested, compliment and if there is a "faux pas", do not draw attention to it.

And if un-fortunately you are invited to repeat the event.

Politely decline without explanation and never give contact details.

In fact wear a disguise and speak Norwegian.

Hum has just thought; maybe those "Norwegians" onboard are simply avoiding Hum !

So verbose, Ho.... a pleasure to spend these (somewhat lucid) moments with you.

So Hum "prattles on" too much then......yes you are right, of course.

You are quite correct about so many things Abenaki.

Still, sifting through your briefest of extremely in-frequent contributions (but highly valued, nevertheless) Hum detects a rare compliment: an approbation, if you will of his ocassional psychotic ramblings which many have historically and most erroneously concluded are alcohol influenced !

And which, they would be quite wrong, Hum might add.

But yes to spend happy times with dear chums frivolously observing life's theatre, is most satisfying. Especially searching amongst the "lower slopes" of life and what these usually discarded elements have to richly offer indicate discernment and modesty whilst also demonstrating dexterous comedic enterprise and dare Hum say, skill.

Truly "Much ado about nothing".....Hum's inscription on his final resting place.

Either that or "What just happened ?"

Thanks for the vid. Yet another reason why I enjoy traveling with Aussies. I fit right in! Any more Captainly rumours out there Mr. Hum? One more leaves and the two left will never be allowed off the ships.

Yes the Aussies are a great bunch to travel with and Hum is privileged to know a good few of them......and oddly, none are called Bruce or Sheila and have never introduced into conversation the phrase "throwing another shrimp on the barbie " !

Nothing Hum can report Jim (regarding Captain situation).

Yes of course, Ho, a compliment indeed....

Twice he wrote !

Hum is all a flutter, like a giddy schoolgirl.........what a way to end the week....and with lunch today at the new restaurant phenomena in the UK: "Sexy Fish" !

Great reviews.

Awful name.

With a certain "you know who" flying in from gay Paris !!!

Drinky-poos at Claridges first.....a bottle of L-P is the way to go.

"Ooh la la" !!