Average age of passengers by cruise line

beth4652

Just received this in an e-letter. Thought you all might be interested. I don't know where the info came from or how accurate it is.

Passenger ages vary somewhat by sailing, but usually they are as follows:

Carnival Cruise Line: 0 - 45 years of age

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line: 25 - 55 years of age

Crystal Cruise Line: 55+ years of age

Celebrity Cruise Line: 35 - 64 years of age

Norwegian Cruise Line: 27 - 56 years of age

Holland America Cruises: 30 - 60 years of age

Princess Cruise Line: 35 to 65 years of age

Interesting that HAL comes up with a slightly older demographic than Princess. I do think an average age would have been more meaningful than such a wide range, and I have certainly seen people beyond both ends of the range they state for Princess. Doesn't seem very scientific.

Interesting that HAL comes up with a slightly older demographic than Princess. I do think an average age would have been more meaningful than such a wide range, and I have certainly seen people beyond both ends of the range they state for Princess. Doesn't seem very scientific.

I think you meant HAL came up "younger" (not "older")...their range was shown as 5 yrs younger thank Princess. I would have thought HAL to have the older crowd...

As for Carnival, having been on two, the average age is more like what is shown for Princess. We met more people in their late 40's-50's than any other age group. Don't know where the above stats came from but I have seen totally different numbers for most lines. Crystal is probably right as it's more upscale and costly. Where did the e-letter come from? There are stats out there somewhere with the real numbers.

As for Carnival, having been on two, the average age is more like what is shown for Princess. We met more people in their late 40's-50's than any other age group. Don't know where the above stats came from but I have seen totally different numbers for most lines. Crystal is probably right as it's more upscale and costly. Where did the e-letter come from? There are stats out there somewhere with the real numbers.

It came from an online TA that keeps trying to get my business. Just thought it was interesting, not necessarily scientific.

While the averages may work when looking at all ships and sailing for each line, they are affected by the length and location of eacch cruise. Longer cruises attract older cruises. Older poeple are more likely to have the time and money for them. Cruises in Europe and Asia also attract older cruisers.

I think itinerary is the key. Our cruise to New England/Canada had more old folks than I've seen anywhere other than my in-laws' retirement community. We were probably among the youngest 5 percent of the passengers on that cruise--and we were 40 and 46 at the time.

Our travel agent steered us to booking our Alaskan cruise during the peak season because we would fit in better. She said the May and late August and September cruises would tend to be older.

We purposefully book longer cruises for Christmas--on smaller, older ships because they tend not to attract families with young children. There are still children on board, but not in the critical mass needed to foment bad behavior.

I think the Princess #'s are a bit wrong. When we were on the Golden P. in '05 I'd say the average age was about 102, :D Ok maybe not that high BUT on disembarkation day, a 75 y/o lady that we met with her family on the cruise, said, "We're to young for this group". DW was 43 at the time.

We ( my BF and I) sailed Caribbean Princess back in April and found the age groups to be mixed. ( We are in our mid 30's). Everyone's on vacation having a great time, and to us it really doesn't matter what age groups are on board. We have an amazing time wherever we go and meet wonderful people regrdless. Infact, we found we had more fun with the older couples we met than those closer to our age.

Looking forward to the Crown!!!

Our 17 day Panama cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle, the youngest person I saw, was a 2 yr old boy with his parents, from there it jumped to late 40's or early 50 to one gentleman in his 80's, who wore a suit the intire cruise. Overall I would say majority were 60 to 70. I was 61, DH 72 and this was the oldest group of passengers we had cruised with. We felt like the youngsters really LOL.

Just received this in an e-letter. Thought you all might be interested. I don't know where the info came from or how accurate it is.

According to the above the only people under the age of 25 are on Carnival. ;)

The average is different for length and itinerary and time of year. I don't think the numbers really mean much unless you know the premise. I think people over 65 sail on lines other than Crystal.

I agree totally with you.

Several years ago, in a trade publication Carnival stated that "More seniors travel Carnival than any other line". This was based (partially) on the fact that Carnival had more ships and more passengers than any other line (at the time).

On my Crystal cruise - I found the demigraphics the same as most of my Princess cruises.

I think itinerary is the key. Our cruise to New England/Canada had more old folks than I've seen anywhere other than my in-laws' retirement community. We were probably among the youngest 5 percent of the passengers on that cruise--and we were 40 and 46 at the time.

Our travel agent steered us to booking our Alaskan cruise during the peak season because we would fit in better. She said the May and late August and September cruises would tend to be older.

Our NE/Canada cruise didn't have that old of a group. I have had older groups on Caribbean cruises compared to NE/Canada. It just goes to show you that each sailing can have a different demographic.

I disagree with your agent about sailing Alaska in May. I am in my 30's and have sailed Alaska many times and I don't think May has an older group. The only difference between my May and July cruises was that there were bratty kids (unsupervised kids causing problems in large groups) on my July cruise. The age of the adults were the same.

I think this is misleading. Carnival attracks all kinds of passengers. Families with younger children tend to go with Carnival because of the water parks and the slides and the lower prices. It is a good starting product since many of their itineraries are varied.

Royal attracks all ages as well. The shorter 7 night cruises attrack everyone, the longer cruises for the older clients and the short 3 or 4 night for people who either can take them easily or people who just work a lot and don't have the time for the longer cruise.

Crystal is high end, and the ages are higher because 1. older demographics have more money and 2. it is usually a step up and if you are a serious cruiser, you naturally move up as time goes on. This is the same for Regent, Seaborn, and the others.

Celebrity is usually a little more than Royal so the ags go up a bit. The food and services are a little better than Royal, a move up line again. People usually don't make Celebrity their first cruise.

NCL is getting a larger amount of the younger crowd due to pricing, advertising, and sailing from the NY area first. Freestyle dining is a big draw and since the younger crowd really isn't into formal dining, they go more for this, especially with younger children.

Holland's ages are the oldest, along with Cunard. It is just their reputation. They offer the standards of cruise lines from years ago like high tea, teakwood decks, longer itineraries, and Holland is like Celebrity, it is a move up line.

Princess is more of the 30-70 ages, with a good mix of kids lately. The NY sailings are definitely lowering the ages. Being able to cruise with no flying is a big draw with families. Princess is also considered a move up line. Their prices are a little higher than Carnival, and they offer more exotic cruises for Europe. They are also offering a world cruise now, which moves them up as well.

JMHO :D

The average is different for length and itinerary and time of year. I don't think the numbers really mean much unless you know the premise. I think people over 65 sail on lines other than Crystal.

You are so right! The age of the cruiser is directly tied to itinerary (especially length), time of year and the cost of the cruise. One poster mentioned the geriatric group on the 17 day repositioning cruise. What else would you expect? How many young people and families can take and afford a 17 day vacation?

Paul, your correct, longer cruises tend to be taken by an older age group, as many are retired, families grown up, so they have more time. In thinking back on that cruise, I think majority were between 55 to 75. The 2 1/2 yr old boy had alot of fun, mingling with the passengers and he was well behaved.

The numbers are a total load of crap. Ages are more dependent on length of cruise, itinerary, time of year, and cost.
Bingo. I agree. Baloney made up out of nothing. It would be far more accurate to compare cruiselines by itinerary and length of cruise. You'll find the Princess Caribbean cruise ages very comparable to RCI but older when you consider a 15 - 31 day cruise. By the very nature of a longer cruise, younger people are less likely to be able to take that kind of cruise. That will make the overall numbers older for Princess, and inaccurate for comparison, since Carnival and NCL passengers rarely take 15 - 31-day cruises. (Do they even have 15 - 31-day cruises?)

These numbers are absolute nonsense.

I having a giggle trying to picture a Carnival cruise on the younger end of the averages reported above.... 2000 1years olds, with their 600 older brothers and sisters of 5 years of age bringing the average onboard to about two. :D Or are the numbers suggesting that the Fun Zone on Princess has 35-40 year olds since according to the numbers, they are the youngest passengers on the ship.

The numbers you were given are completely useless - and tell you nothing.

It doesn't even matter if they are correct or not.

The AVERAGE age on nearly any ship (a far better indicator) can change by as much as 20 or 30 years from one week to the next, depending on a great many factors: cruise line, ship size, price, itinerary, holidays, cruise length, groups onboard, weather (hurricane season), and a great many others.

When the average age changes by just a few years, as it does nearly every week, the resulting cruise experience can be incredibly different for the passengers onboard. When it changes 20 or 30 years, it is not even the same ship or cruise line as the week before.

I base this information on my observations of over 1300 cruises. (Guess what I do for a living?) Too many passengers take one, two, or ten cruises on various ships or various lines and then think they have a clear picture of what those ships and lines are always like. In most cases, they could not be more mistaken.

The last Celebrity cruise we took, the age range seemed like it was somewhere between 90 and 130. Even the old people on the cruise were complaining about the old people.

Once on this cruise a very old man got on the elevator with a speedo on and his walker. No joke.

Archived