Poll: Which Carnival TV show would you pitch?

If you were a TV executive, which Carnival TV show would you pitch?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a TV executive, which Carnival TV show would you pitch?

• Love Boat for the next century -- A Fun Ship sitcom
    • Reality cruisin' -- Real people compete to be the next Carnival Cruise Director
    • Cruise ship survivor -- Teams face tough challenges as they take on the roles of ship's crew
    • Cruise Jeopardy -- Contestants show off their knowledge of maritime matters

Erica,

I'd call it Cruisin' the Fun Ships

I would also make it a reality based show where a film crew follows a family and a group of friends on a cruise and shows their different experiences. Two story lines per show with John Heald as the cruise director. The bedtime story each night would include highlights of their experiences througout the day and bring their fellow Carnival cruisers into the story as well. :)

It would be similar to the pictorial reviews we post on the Carnival boards on CruiseCritic.com

Carnival is working with an unnamed television network to turn John Heald's blog into a sitcom: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2481. If you were a TV executive, which Carnival TV show would you pitch?

Don't see your pick here? Tell us below.

John "GOMER PYLE" Heald: Annoying cruise directors hawking and pitching everything carnival has to sell every which way possible. What is the obvious fascination with CDs anyways? I just don't see what they add to my cruise experience. The only one with any real talent I have seen on my almost 20 cruises now was about 5 years ago on the inspiration (don't remember his name and no it was not Lenny "drink up" Haliday) he did a magic act on stage that was fantastic. Other that that I never seen anyone else with any real talent. Just MHO

Oh FTLOG! :eek:

I'm addicted to cruising. :p

I'm addicted to these dang boards :o

and NOW they're gonna make a CCL TV show for me to get hooked on?? :rolleyes:

I voted for # 3 :D

• Administrators

Remember A&E's reality show "Airline"? I loved that show. How about "Cruise Line".........

A&E 's series focused on "heartwarming passenger stories, occasional outbursts, weather-related anxiety, everyone’s urgent timetables, heightened security measures…all come together to create a real life drama that is truly unique to commercial airline travel."

Additionally the show "followed various members of Southwest’s staff and crew, from the Customer-focused flight crews to the hard working ground crews who are often on the receiving end of a frustrated customer’s wrath". (more about A&E's Airline here from Reality TV World)

The above concept can easily be applied to a cruise line -- the stories are endless, the evidence of which is chronicled every day here on the message boards. I'm actually surprised that it hasn't already been done!

I voted for #1 because it seems the most like John's Blog - which I am addicted to along with these boards!

Can't wait to see the TV show with John!

Sort of tired of the reality shows, but have to agree with LauraS who said why not use A&E's Airline as an example. That show could really be entertaining.

My first cruise the CD made fun of people who wanted to go to the midnight buffet - didn't seem right for him to insult the paying guests! IMHO the CD can add or detract from the whole experience.

Diane from Texas

Remember A&E's reality show "Airline"? I loved that show. How about "Cruise Line".........

A&E 's series focused on "heartwarming passenger stories, occasional outbursts, weather-related anxiety, everyone’s urgent timetables, heightened security measures…all come together to create a real life drama that is truly unique to commercial airline travel."

Additionally the show "followed various members of Southwest’s staff and crew, from the Customer-focused flight crews to the hard working ground crews who are often on the receiving end of a frustrated customer’s wrath". (more about A&E's Airline here from Reality TV World)

The above concept can easily be applied to a cruise line -- the stories are endless, the evidence of which is chronicled every day here on the message boards. I'm actually surprised that it hasn't already been done!

I love it!!

A great episode would be when a ship is docked in Cozumel...just an hour of watching drunk people running for the ship with passengers cheering them on.

I wonder if only us addicts would appreciate a cruise show??? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Carnival is working with an unnamed television network to turn John Heald's blog into a sitcom: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2481. If you were a TV executive, which Carnival TV show would you pitch?

Don't see your pick here? Tell us below.

Admit it.

Everyone is enamored by the sea. Whether you like to dive right into the wave, to sit and watch the ebb and flow of time, to be in awe of its massive stretch, or to be frightened of its strength or fury, to go with the flow or "ride it out" deckside, on a cruise ship, is a fascinating concept, a "virtual cruise".

"The Deadliest Catch" is a program which details the everyday hardships of crab fishermen and their ship. Its captain is its glue, relating the focus and description of everyday detail. However, on a cruise ship, a cruise director's private recollection, online comments, and consented input from onboard guests, of tales of the voyage may not impinge on cruise guests' privacy and security. Imagine viewing footage of a beloved one with another partner or discovering the bank account is closed out and someone else is on a seaboard escape. Not tasteful, and certainly not entertainment.

Reality shows appear to capture dissatisfaction as entertainment. Remember, "booted off" an episode draws conversation and promotes hype among its viewers. It would be unlikely to find a "plank" to banish bad service!

In my opinion, crew members are much more sympathetic toward the wants of a guest, not a cruise director. On a "reality" show, stories based upon the trevails of cruise directors wouldn't nearly cover the total involvement of the crews' duties. Each day is challenging to the persons whom we rely on, the crew members, not the cruise director. The crew members "make or break" onboard satisfaction.

An onboard cruise "reality-based" program is only as enjoyable as 1) the participation of informed and consenting guests, 2) the reliability of its crew, 3) the taste, presentation and accoutrement of fine dining, 4) an impressive element of entertainment while onboard, 5) relating interesting, moreso embarrassing, tales of port and onboard experiences, 5) contesting its consumer satisfaction or positing a frustrating "blip" of onboard behavior.

The focal point still remains under the guardianship of the cruise director.

Why not? Go for it. A cruise director has a set of management skills to protect its fleet. Imagine the possibility of improving cruise travel, enhanced by the replay of incidents that normally occur on any voyage. We have seen much worse video content in the recent past.

I personally like a "sitcom" show. I'm recording Airline now when it comes on..:rolleyes: Yes it is entertaining but frustrating at the same.. Sometimes I think people need to take a test before they step on to a airplane.. And I'm thinking I'm flying with these stupid people...:eek:

Anyways, I miss just a normal sitcom.. Everyone is in to these reality shows some much.. I do have to admit I have watch my far share of reality shows.. But it would be nice to have a show back like the Love Boat, But a UPDATE verizon... I'm next vote would be for the Fun Ship Survivor... Now that would be interesting

Does anyone remember... on Mtv they used to have a show called Road Rules, in which one of the seasons was "Semester at Sea". The crew followed the drama that occurred on a ship while everyone partied too hard and studied less. It was entertaining for the most part, especially to see the ship, but something was missing.

I believe in order to have a successful cruise sitcom/ reality series, you really need to keep it interesting. Look at the Real World, 20 years on Mtv and going strong.

People want to see fights, drama...etc. But, I think by implementing something completely different is key.

As a teacher, I like the idea of having people selected to do specific jobs on a cruise ship. i.e. work at Camp Carnival, Director, bartender, cabin stew...etc.

So here's my pitch, "My New Life on a Cruise Ship".

Cameras follow you and a small crew around as you take on the challenges of your new life and job away from home. Maybe you end up loving it, or maybe you want to go home. I would love to see what it would be like to work on a ship. ;)

I love it!!

A great episode would be when a ship is docked in Cozumel...just an hour of watching drunk people running for the ship with passengers cheering them on.

I wonder if only us addicts would appreciate a cruise show??? :confused:

that is a favorite activity...both cheering and running:D

Archived