transportation from palm springs to la cruise ship terminal

athenagirl

We will be staying in Palm Springs from Dec. 1 to Jan. 15 and are thinking of taking a couple of 3 day back to back cruises from L.A. to Ensenada to build up to elite status a little quicker. Does anyone have any ideas on transportation? Flying from P/S to LAX is too expensive, I'm not comfortable driving the freeway to LA, Greyhound makes too many stops and takes up to 5 hours, the mega bus does not go to P/S. Are there any tour companies that would get us there and back?:rolleyes:

Its a easy drive from PS to LA. If you have a GPS its very easy. I do it all the time when I go to PS

agreed... its almost a straight shot, almost entirely on the same freeway, used to live smack in the middle of palm springs and LA. just dont drive during rush hour and it should only be a 2.5 hour drive

You might be able to do a Super Shuttle or something like that. I have never heard of a tour to/from PS/LA, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Driving that far is a giant pain, IMO.

I did ask the shuttle bus driver when we got off the Crown Princess last week and he said it would be about $200+ per person. Just a little too high. I know the drive sounds easy, but we will only be renting a car a few weeks here and there, and I can't see paying for a rental car that's just going to sit in the parking lot for 3 days, plus I'm just too chicken to drive on those crazy freeways.:eek:

We will be staying in Palm Springs from Dec. 1 to Jan. 15 and are thinking of taking a couple of 3 day back to back cruises from L.A. to Ensenada to build up to elite status a little quicker. Does anyone have any ideas on transportation? Flying from P/S to LAX is too expensive, I'm not comfortable driving the freeway to LA, Greyhound makes too many stops and takes up to 5 hours, the mega bus does not go to P/S. Are there any tour companies that would get us there and back?:rolleyes:

Well, basically your options are, Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

You have already eliminated planes as too expensive and Greyhound for taking too long. Basically you have just documented the relationship between price and speed. The faster something is, the more it costs.

The train from Palm Springs to Los Angeles takes 3 1/2 hours and leaves Palm Springs at 2am. Not very convenient, and who knows if it will be on time. It would cost about $21 - $41 per person.

So that just leaves us with ground transportation. It is over 100 miles from Palm Springs to Los Angeles making a taxi about as expensive as flying. Given this, some sort of private car or shuttle service is your best bet.

Super Shuttle or Prime Time would run about $225 for two people one way.

A limo would cost you about $265.

My only other suggestion would be to post your question on this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1455788

Curt Jerome Wild is very knowledgeable about transportation and hotels in the LA area. The closest airport to the LA pier (whether you are using the pier in San Pedro or Long Beach) is the Long Beach Airport.

Edited by Cuizer2

Well, basically your options are, Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

You have already eliminated planes as too expensive and Greyhound for taking too long. Basically you have just documented the relationship between price and speed. The faster something is, the more it costs.

The train from Palm Springs to Los Angeles takes 3 1/2 hours and leaves Palm Springs at 2am. Not very convenient, and who knows if it will be on time. It would cost about $21 - $41 per person.

So that just leaves us with ground transportation. It is over 100 miles from Palm Springs to Los Angeles making a taxi about as expensive as flying. Given this, some sort of private car or shuttle service is your best bet.

Super Shuttle or Prime Time would run about $225 for two people one way.

A limo would cost you about $265.

My only other suggestion would be to post your question on this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1455788

Curt Jerome Wild is very knowledgeable about transportation and hotels in the LA area. The closest airport to the LA pier (whether you are using the pier in San Pedro or Long Beach) is the Long Beach Airport.

that thread posted above doesn't seem to be an active thread and Curt hasn't been seen around these parts lately.

The problem is that Palm Springs is about 120 miles away from the World Cruise Center (I'm guessing you're talking about a Princess cruise; if on Carnival, it'll be around that too, more or less, to the Port of Long Beach).

According to Google maps, it's the 111 to the 10 to the 60 to the 215 to the 91 to the 110, but despite the different freeway numbers, these undoubtedly blend into each other so as long as you're headed west, you may actually have a decent trip.

What I would suggest (maybe you other Angelenos can agree or disagree) is to drive over to San Pedro the day before your cruise (timing to avoid rush hour traffic as much as possible), spend the night there at the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza (see which one has a park and cruise arrangement), get the free shuttle to the port in the morning. That way, you'll save on a private shuttle from PS to SP, have a relaxing night before your cruises. Then after your cruise, retrieve your car and drive back to PS if you're spending more time there.

Another alternative is to drive to SP and return your car to the rental agency (if an one way rental is allowed). If you do this, you can drop off your luggage and significant other at the port, return the car, and then go back to the port (if the rental agency won't shuttle you there, take a taxi). After the cruise, get another rental and return to PS.

There are two schools of thought driving in LA ---

Drive during rush hour-- the vast majority drive this everyday and know where they're going, when to merge, when others will merge etc. Also speeds are usually reduced giving enough time to merge.

Drive not during rush hour-- faster but many times people have no idea where they're going.

It's never easy near port because of all the semi trucks.

By LA native standards it's an easy drive Palm Springs to San Pedro. Google directions and study a LA Freeway map. There are several ways to get there if one way is blocked. None take you thru Downtown.

(What's helped us many times is using StreetView on Google Maps. Actually 'test drive' the route before you drive it. )

Leave Palm Springs after dinner the night before. Traffic will be easier and you won't have to deal with the sun in your eyes.

Coming back you'll be going against traffic.

1070am does traffic on the 5s- 1:05, 1:15, 1:25 .....

Edited by SadieN

Amtrak has bus service from downtown PS (and some from Palm Desert) to the train station in Fullerton near Disneyland. Buses leave PS at 9am and 3pm. From the Fullerton station you can take an Amtrak or Metrolink train into LA Union Station, or take a shuttle van or taxi straight to the port. Fullerton is about 30 minutes by road from Long Beach /Carnival and 45 minutes from the LA cruise port.

That said, PS-Fullerton is a 2h20m trip plus an hour for a shuttle or taxi to the ship. You can easily drive the entire distance for the same time and cost including rental car formalities.

Another example, like it or not, the automobile still reigns as king in SoCal.

I live in Palm Springs and it is an easy drive with gps. When you get your car tell them you want to drop it off in San Pedro/Long Beach. We took a Panama Canal cruise with friends 2 years ago and they flew to PS, rented a car and when we went to the port dropped it off there, a few minutes away. The rental co provided transport back to the terminal. Only one rental agency near port, so you may have to do your homework. I drove it 2 weeks ago and left my car in the lot for 12.00 a day. Easy drive 2 1/2 hours at most. Left at 10 and there by 12:30

I live in Palm Springs and it is an easy drive with gps. When you get your car tell them you want to drop it off in San Pedro/Long Beach. We took a Panama Canal cruise with friends 2 years ago and they flew to PS, rented a car and when we went to the port dropped it off there, a few minutes away. The rental co provided transport back to the terminal. Only one rental agency near port, so you may have to do your homework. I drove it 2 weeks ago and left my car in the lot for 12.00 a day. Easy drive 2 1/2 hours at most. Left at 10 and there by 12:30

So is that Enterprise? I think that's the agency by the port, but the OP will definitely be aware of which hours/days they are open (I believe they are closed on Sunday). If this isn't a problem and they do one-ways, that would be nice.

Thank you everyone for all your advice. I know travelling from PS to San Pedro is best done by car but I'm a nervous Nellie when it comes to those freeways. Amtrak sounds like it may be our best option so far. I will give them a call tomorrow and see about a connection from the Fullerton stn.

Thank you everyone for all your advice. I know travelling from PS to San Pedro is best done by car but I'm a nervous Nellie when it comes to those freeways. Amtrak sounds like it may be our best option so far. I will give them a call tomorrow and see about a connection from the Fullerton stn.

Google is your friend. Searching "Palm Springs Fullerton" produces numerous hits. This one is a good overview: http://www.visitpalmsprings.com/page/getting-here-by-train/185863

The biggest thing is what to do beyond Fullerton. I recommend SuperShuttle, Execucar, etc. rather than transferring to a LA-bound train. Your shuttle will arrive at either port about the same time the train arrives in LA. Via train, you will still have the time and expense of getting to the port.

Honestly the LA freeways seem to be sensationalized by worldwide media. Friends and family over the years who expected a dreadful and terrifying experience found it's no problem at all (as long as rush hours are avoided). The route to either port is easy to navigate...and it skirts LA and avoids the heart of the beast.

Edited by kenish

I believe the Amtrak bus will not let you buy just a bus ticket, and must be purchased in conjunction with a train ticket. That's not say you couldn't buy a ticket all the way to LA and just make your own arrangements once you arrive at the transfer point in Fullerton. The train only option fron PS is a long distance train called The Sunset Ltd, originating in New Orleans or Texas. There is a chance it will run late.

I looked at the Amtrak website, and missed the fact that the Fullerton bus has to be booked with onward train travel. Agree with a previous post...purchase a bus/rail ticket to either LA Union Station or to Anaheim (next stop south from Fullerton). Simply get off the train in Fullerton. Then get a shuttle, which you will need to reserve in advance.

This will take almost as long as Greyhound, which your original post ruled out. Really, the best choice is a rental car since you don't want to spend time or money. SoCal infrastructure is centered around cars; although things are improving you're at a serious time/cost/convenience disadvantage without one.

Edited by kenish

• 3 weeks later...