30+ people sick on Princess just in SF

Flatbush Flyer

Can't see the ship from our view across the bay. So, it must've already left for the next port. Don't know the circumstances- only heard it on the 5pm TV news headlines tonight. Please remember to wash your hands (particularly if you're about to visit SF.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can't see the ship from our view across the bay. So, it must've already left for the next port. Don't know the circumstances- only heard it on the 5pm TV news headlines tonight. Please remember to wash your hands (particularly if you're about to visit SF.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Its everywhere.

It was one of the top stories on LA area's CBS local news. Crown Princess has "a lot" of sick passengers with Norovirus. They didn't say too much else other than a little about the itinerary.
Yeah. They also didn't cover how much Noro is in local schools, colleges, hospitals, or other public locations. Of course, that wouldn't have made a good story.

What can we do to protect ourselves other than washing hands. We are on the Crown In a couple of weeks and my wife is concerned and considering not going...:eek:

Wash your hands thoroughly and often. Use the hand sanitizers, although they are not a substitute for good hand washing. Do not use the public facilities, try to use only the bathroom in your stateroom.

Be in tip top shape when you board - you want your immune system functioning optimally so that you are not as susceptible to the nasty little germs.

We have been on board during outbreaks and have not gotten ill. Perhaps it is luck, perhaps it is paying attention to hand washing...just because it is on board doesn't mean you are going to get it.

On the other hand, if you or your wife are immune compromised for any reason - chemotherapy in particular comes to mind - or didn't get a flu shot this past fall, you might not want to go.

Yeah. They also didn't cover how much Noro is in local schools, colleges, hospitals, or other public locations. Of course, that wouldn't have made a good story.

True that it can happen in any rather locked in public location.

While not national news, we've had local schools hit that were Front Page News here.

LuLu

~~~

What can we do to protect ourselves other than washing hands. We are on the Crown In a couple of weeks and my wife is concerned and considering not going...:eek:

She should be more concerned about going to the supermarket... :p Really, noro is everywhere. It's more commonly called the stomach flu. Take some precautions and you'll be fine.

Well said Pam and so true!

Paul

So... about 1.5% aboard were infected. Must have been a slow news day... :rolleyes:

I get sooooooo tired of this stuff. People at work always ask me about it. The so called "news reporters" love to jump on this stuff and blow it all out of proportion. My wife is sick right now. Nobody is reporting the "news" that she (and another 100 or so people) have "come down with" or "are suffering from" whatever it is she has. If she was currently on a cruise though, it would be big "news".

The virus all so has to get into your system. Therefore don't put your fingers in your eyes, nose or mouth. I have been on many ship with this virus and have never caught it. I wash my hand a lot too. A couple of years ago we were on Crown Princess when they had a very bad out break.

Edited by geocruiser

I also had one of my classmates call me this afternoon in a panic. She also heard it on our local LA news. It seems the crew is working very hard to keep it under control and I too hope it's kept to a minimum for the upcoming cruises.

I got off the Crown Saturday after spending 16 days on her. The Captain and the crew had things pretty much under control as well as they could.They were taking every precaution.

Cruise ships get a bum rap as far as I am concerned. You have 3000 people living in close quarters, something will happen. It was a great cruise. You should not cancel your cruise.

Besides washing your hands often, avoid using the public bathrooms. If at all possible, use your cabin bathroom.

I've been on quite a few cruises with Noro precautions in high gear and have avoided getting sick. Last time I got sick on a cruise was 2005. However, I've gotten a nasty intestinal big at home several times. :)

I also had one of my classmates call me this afternoon in a panic. She also heard it on our local LA news. It seems the crew is working very hard to keep it under control and I too hope it's kept to a minimum for the upcoming cruises.
What is really irritating is that Princess gets the blame for what the passengers contracted beforehand (likely in airports or planes) and then brought onboard.

Wash your hands thoroughly and often.

On the other hand, if you or your wife are immune compromised for any reason - chemotherapy in particular comes to mind - or didn't get a flu shot this past fall, you might not want to go.

The flu shot has NOTHING to do with Norovirus. The flu shot is a shot against Influenza which is a respiratory illness and has nothing to do with Norwalk which causes the "stomach" flu. Two totally different illnesses.

Just posted this article on another thread if you want to take something along to pre clean your cabin etc or wipe your hands after handling utensil in buffet etc.....http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-cleaning-products-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

Just posted this article on another thread if you want to take something along to pre clean your cabin etc or wipe your hands after handling utensil in buffet etc.....http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-cleaning-products-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

Could we just use hydrogen peroxide on a cotton pad?

The flu shot has NOTHING to do with Norovirus. The flu shot is a shot against Influenza which is a respiratory illness and has nothing to do with Norwalk which causes the "stomach" flu. Two totally different illnesses.

I agree, but my comments about a flu shot have to do with keeping the immune system in shape, and therefore having better ability to fight off other bugs, too.

You could but at most concentrations sold to the public it won't do much other than remove dirt. There's a reason the cleaning crews uses masks with some solutions..

Could we just use hydrogen peroxide on a cotton pad?