Mosquitoes?

GreeniePrincess

We are heading on a southern Caribbean cruise at the end of February with St. Kitts as one of our stops. We have never been to St. Kitts before, and I was considering heading to a beach for the day. I'm considering becoming pregnant/could be pregnant, and with all of the news about Zika virus, I was wondering if mosquitoes are typically a problem this time of year. I'd like to go wherever I have the least possibility of running into swarms of mosquitoes and would like to snorkel if possible. I plan to take proper precautions (long sleeves, bug spray), and it was too late to cancel the cruise by the time the outbreak hit. Suggestions please?

I am a physician myself and have discussed with with DH as well. I am aware of the risks of the virus. We have decided, after much discussion, to continue with the cruise as this will be a family vacation and took much planning and is the only opportunity for us to do this. I'm looking for any suggestions as to any specific areas to avoid if anyone has suggestions. I realize that there is no guarantee, and this was not an easy decision to make. Any advice about places/times to avoid is much appreciated.

I am a physician myself and have discussed with with DH as well. I am aware of the risks of the virus. We have decided, after much discussion, to continue with the cruise as this will be a family vacation and took much planning and is the only opportunity for us to do this. I'm looking for any suggestions as to any specific areas to avoid if anyone has suggestions. I realize that there is no guarantee, and this was not an easy decision to make. Any advice about places/times to avoid is much appreciated.

I've been to St Kitts 3 times in the Jan/Feb timeframe and have yet to encounter a mosquito; in fact I have been bitten precisely 1 time in 6 trips to the Caribbean.

If I were you I might consider Cockleshell beach on the south end. It's wide open to the wind, which holds down flying insects, and to my recollection doesn't have any bodies of stagnant water close by.

Your chances of catching any arbovirus are higher around populated areas with both litter to breed in and a human reservoir to support the disease. The latter is pretty much absent in beach areas.

Edited by Lard Greystoke

Thank you all. On the advice of my doctor, I did cancel the trip, however my other family members have decided to continue with the trip as Royal Caribbean would not refund their money as the travel restrictions at this time only apply to pregnant women and Royal Caribbean will only offer cruise credit to those in the same room as pregnant travelers. I will pass the information on Cockleshell beach along to my family members, as given the other neurologic conditions that now may also be linked to Zika, they are looking to avoid mosquitoes as much as possible too.