Early or Late dining??

JEN5508

Up to you. Either of the traditional dining times will give you show time choices that should work with the dining time.

If you would rather have more time to get back on the ship after a port and get ready for dinner, then take the later time. If you don't want to eat at 8:30pm, take the early time.

If neither of these choices are good for you, then consider My Time Dining.

There are 6 of us going...if we do My time, will we be able to sit together?

Yes, with My Time, if you show up together, you can sit together.

Note that you have to be assigned to My Time, so contact whoever booked your cruise to change if you like.

Edited by clarea

What's the downsize to My time then? Why wouldn't everyone book it that way??

You may have to wait to be seated. You may have a different table and wait staff each night. The dining time may not be convenient for shows. The cruise line won't automatically assign you to a table with others, should you like to meet new people.

Edited by clarea

Some folks enjoy the traditional seating....same waiters/ table nightly...And anyone who enjoys tablemates is best doing traditional, as MTDer's aren't keen on eating with others. The shows are basically scheduled around the 2 traditional dining times (especially on smaller ships), so there's no guesswork, or finagling your meals to make a show...

Edited by cb at sea

...And anyone who enjoys tablemates is best doing traditional, as MTDer's aren't keen on eating with others....

Incorrect, again. Every time you say this, I will correct your misinformation. You can absolutely sit with others in MTD - we have done so many times. Tablemates in Traditional Dining, tablemates in MTD. You can sit with just your party in MTD, or sit with others. I fail to see WHY you just don't get this. :(:confused::(

Incorrect, again. Every time you say this, I will correct your misinformation. You can absolutely sit with others in MTD - we have done so many times. Tablemates in Traditional Dining, tablemates in MTD. You can sit with just your party in MTD, or sit with others. I fail to see WHY you just don't get this. :(:confused::(

Don't bother. CB is too busy trying to be the poster with the most posts EVER to check back on what s/he posts. Or bother to post correct information. Ever.

You may have to wait to be seated. You may have a different table and wait staff each night. The dining time may not be convenient for shows. The cruise line won't automatically assign you to a table with others, should you like to meet new people.

Bob - is it different with the Oasis/Allure?

We book MTD, but only have sailed on the Freedom Class. MTD is actually two different types -

Type One:

You simply show up at any time - like you would at a land restaurant - meaning if there are a lot of people like you - you may wait for a bit.

Type Two:

You make reservations (online before, or even on the ship once you board) at a specific time for each day. Then, you walk past the people who took did Type One, and they take you to your table. You can book different times on different days depending on what time the ship leaves port, and what time the shows are, etc etc.

We have always done Type Two- and have been put at the same table, and had the same waiter every night. For all of our cruises where we picked MTD. Was this a fluke?

Bob - is it different with the Oasis/Allure?

We book MTD, but only have sailed on the Freedom Class. MTD is actually two different types -

Type One:

You simply show up at any time - like you would at a land restaurant - meaning if there are a lot of people like you - you may wait for a bit.

Type Two:

You make reservations (online before, or even on the ship once you board) at a specific time for each day. Then, you walk past the people who took did Type One, and they take you to your table. You can book different times on different days depending on what time the ship leaves port, and what time the shows are, etc etc.

We have always done Type Two- and have been put at the same table, and had the same waiter every night. For all of our cruises where we picked MTD. Was this a fluke?

Todd, what you described is the same on other (non-Quantum) ships. Not a fluke. If you make standing reservations, you will usually get the same table and wait staff.

That's why I said "You may have a different table and wait staff each night". I didn't want to overwhelm with details.

We love late seating on FOS because they usually will have the main show before dinner at 7pm. Early seating dinner is 5:30 which is way too early to be showered and ready. It's also a lot easier to squeeze in another meal with late seating, like a 4pm snack. There's not too many options on Freedom class for a 4th meal at night after an early seating dinner.

We are from the Mountain time zone so that is also a factor, 8:30 is really 6:30 for us.

We like traditional to not have to worry about all the planning. MTD increasingly seems to be encouraging folks to come at one of the "standard" times anyway, so I've heard.

Edited by DrD

What's the downsize to My time then? Why wouldn't everyone book it that way??

I travel alone and potter around alone all day, but like having dining companions. Fixed time suits me because I have the same wait staff and same companions every night, which I happen to like. I pick 8.30, as I generally eat late at home.

To answer the OP's question - we do MTD - and book for 6:30 or 7:00pm. It's the perfect time for us - giving us plenty of time after a port day to prepare for dinner, and perfect timing to hit the 9:00pm theatre show. We MUCH prefer the later theater showings - sitting down and watching a nice show with a full belly is a nice feeling :)

We like the traditional dining times for no other reason than it is habit and one less thing to schedule. When the kids where little, we booked the early seating and now they are older (14&17) so we do the late seating. The fun part about a cruise is everyone can do different events during the day and then we can come together as a family for dinner. DW and I enjoy coming back from the pool or a port day, having a drink in the lounge, then enjoying the balcony, eventually getting ready for dinner, followed by another drink in the lounge before going to dinner at 8:00 or 8:30. It is usually my favorite and most relaxing three hours of the day ;)

Are you a night owl or do you go to bed fairly early (say, before 11pm)? I'm a night owl and usually do late dining, although we are doing early dining on our March Liberty of the Seas because we have grandkids going with us and late dining is too late for them. Also we are diamond members -- It's usually easier to find a seat in the diamond lounge and enjoy our free drinks and Hors d'oeuvres after the early diners leave the lounge.

We just booked the Oasis of the Seas for June...Do you recommend early or late dining?

Jennifer

We eat early at home, but prefer later dining when we cruise for a few reasons.

1. We tend to eat more for breakfast and lunch on a cruise so we're not as hungry early!

2. When we attend a show, we prefer the early show before dinner with less crowds.

3. We enjoy the quiet time on board once early dining starts...crowds die down and it's very relaxing to explore the ship or enjoy a drink in one of the bars.

I always pick late, every time I go to Cozumel and I take a long excursion they always arrive late to the port and the people taking the water taxi are always talking about getting late to dinner because they r running late. Also early dinner is way to early for me specially if you go to the gym and or like to get in the pool after a port.

I don't have any experience with my time dinning but I read sometimes you have to wait for a table, if you want an specific waiter can be a hassle etc. I just know I have to be ready for 830 late seating with same waiter and location. For 30 before 830 or after I rather stick with late seating.

Note that dinner in the main dining room (MDR) often take 90 minutes to 2 hours. Also if you are in a hurry, or want to eat at a time different than your MDR assigned time, the buffet is an alternative. Often it is quieter and better than at lunch. And you can wear shorts to the buffet. I know some cruisers who only eat dinner in the buffet.

Talking about dining times -- I remember when we first started cruising in 1997 that breakfast and lunch were also assigned times and tables. Now, for most (maybe all) cruises breakfast and lunch is open seating in the MDR. Also lunch in the MDR is usually on sea days only.

As I said before, if you stay up late to partake of the ship's nightlife, I'd go for late dining. If instead you get up early, you might like early dining.

One more option: Many ships offer my-time dining. The name varies, but it means you go to the MDR like you would any land-based restaurant -- when you want. Of course, like any land-based restaurant, there could be a wait for a table. I prefer the fixed time dining with the same wait staff each night, but others really like my-time. Whatever you want, it needs to be assigned well in advance of your cruise. You usually can't switch during the cruise unless a slot opens up.

And still another option is to go to a specialty extra-pay restaurant, if your ship has one. Often reservations are required, and these can take 3 hours or more to really enjoy the experience. Similar to the buffet, I've know some cruisers who only eat at the extra-pay restaurants. It's nice to have a choice.

If you have fixed-time dining and know you are not going to the MDR that night -- say, because you eat in the buffet or a specialty restaurant or room service -- then as a courtesy let your maitre'd know, so others at your table don't wait for you, and/or it can free up the wait staff to do other functions.

Edited by Jimnbigd

We love traditional dining. Same time, same waiter, etc. We also eat late because if we eat early, we end up going to bed afterwards & missing the shows. [emoji39]

As far as a 2 hour dinner...as soon as you sit down tell your wait person that you want it all served at once. You'll be done in 45 minutes!

Edited by tanyaheart