Wich cruise line/ship is best for family with 9 and 6 year old daughters?

TRCYNTHIA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've been on 2 cruises before - one on Royal Caribbean's Allure and the other on NCL Breakaway....Both went to the same ports of call...We're looking to take another weeklong cruise March 12- 19 (give or take a few days here or there) and would love any suggestions as to which cruise line and ship would be the best for our family of 2 daughters aged 9 and 6 that would not go to Nassau, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas....They love hanging out at the kids club in the evening after we visit the port and eat dinner as a family....We prefer a variety of restaurants with no set times, and we love a variety of entertainment - we almost always see every show the ship has to offer....Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you can offer in helping us pick a cruise line and ship that might offer us a different experience than before.

Almost every mainstream cruise line goes to the same ports.....and all of the mainstream lines now have some for of "dine when you wish" set up....

On most lines, nowadays, the variety of restaurants will be "specialties" where you pay additionally to eat there. The main dining room, buffet and usually some sort of sandwich/salad/pizza sort of place will be included in your fare on every line....the other stuff will cost you extra, in almost all cases.

Yes, we recognize that...But are there any ports of call that you'd suggest we go to that you really enjoyed and didn't find as touristy....And any cruise line/ship that you would suggest that would cater to families with children.....And we don't mind paying extra for specialty restaurants as cruise food tends to grow old on us quickly as it always seems to be the same regardless of the rotating menu in the standard dining rooms....

You have been on two of the best ships in the world. If you want to do something really different, have you considered doing a Disney cruise with your daughters? Everyone I know who has done these loved it and your daughters won't be the right age for this much longer. They do a lot of special things like Pirate Night with fireworks and there is also this interesting thing called Fish Extender.

http://www.familytravelmagazine.com/everything-need-know-disney-cruise-line-fish-extenders/

It's a big deal with the kids!

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Here's a possibility:

Carnival Breeze (their second newest ship - I was on it October - it's great - has great water slides for kids! Food is good although the steakhouse and chef's table are outstanding! Italian restaurant is good. Sushi restaurant is also good. Their buffet - I liked the deli station - they make the sandwich and then hand it to you on a plate so people are not all in the food!)

8 days

March 12

Miami

At Sea

Grand Turk (Turks & Caicos)

La Romana (Dominican Republic)

Curacao

Aruba

At Sea

At Sea

Miami

IMO, that is a pretty good sampling of the southern Caribbean. Curacao is one of my absolute favorite islands due to their pontoon bridge and the charming Dutch buildings.

I should mention the steakhouse on this ship is good for several nights - just email ahead for reservations. They have lamb and fish and chicken as well as many types of steak, so it would be possible to eat there 3 or 4 nights and not get bored. On the first night of the cruise they offer either free wine (bleach) or a substantial discount on any bottle from the wine list - so we got Grgich Hills Cabernet Sauvignon.

There were several other restaurants we never tried like Guy's (Fieri) Burgers, Blue Iguana, and a Sea Day BBQ that has a long line. I'm a foodie and squeamish about buffets, so the fact that I could find anything there I felt safe about eating and liked is a pretty high compliment. What I liked at the deli was the turkey wrap. I also noticed then pizza station was handled in a similar way where you don't serve yourself - you are handed 1/2 of a pizza on a plate unless you ask for more. I don't normally eat pizza, but if I were going to, I would be OK with getting it that way.

If you decide on this one, email the steakhouse for Chef's Table Reservations - OMG it is AMAZING they do some molecular gastronomy techniques and it is held in the galley and you get a galley tour. It is really something to remember.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Here's another good itinerary, this time on Royal Princess which is one of Princess Cruise Line's newest ships.

Sun Mar 13 Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:00pm

Mon Mar 14 At Sea

Tue Mar 15 At Sea

Wed Mar 16 Dominica 10:00am 8:00pm

Thu Mar 17 St. Lucia 8:00am 6:00pm

Fri Mar 18 Barbados 7:00am 4:00pm

Sat Mar 19 Antigua 9:00am 6:00pm

Sun Mar 20 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 7:00am 5:00pm

Mon Mar 21 At Sea

Tue Mar 22 Princess Cays, Bahamas 7:00am 4:00pm

Wed Mar 23 Fort Lauderdale, FL 6:00am

I must admit St. Lucia is one of my favorite islands. They have the world's only drive through volcano. But then there are also the Pitons and great snorkeling. The best tour to take is St Lucia by land and sea.

Barbados is a great place to snorkel with sea turtles or take a photography tour around the island just to see the sights.

Domenica - very scenic and not so touristy.

Antigua - Snorkeling or the Donkey Sanctuary or Nelson's Dockyard - there are many interesting things to do here.

BTW, don't know if you have done this, but the best thing to do when you are in St. Thomas is to go to St. John.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

As SuiteTraveler suggested, take a look at Disney. The shows on Disney ships are the best I have seen at sea. Their kids program is top notch. There are three main dining rooms onboard and you rotate through them (your servers move with you and they are amazing). Can't think of any cruise line that is more family friendly.

Yes, we recognize that...But are there any ports of call that you'd suggest we go to that you really enjoyed and didn't find as touristy....And any cruise line/ship that you would suggest that would cater to families with children.....And we don't mind paying extra for specialty restaurants as cruise food tends to grow old on us quickly as it always seems to be the same regardless of the rotating menu in the standard dining rooms....

Most of the Caribbean is very touristy. That is what they are selling...... weather, beaches, aqua colored warm water, and touristy tours/excursions including souvenir and jewelry stores. :)

Not everyone likes that but seems many of us do particularly those from cold weather areas.

I too would look at Disney.

Your children are just a perfect age for sailing Disney and it is an absolutely wonderful experience for both the children and the parents.

It's Disney on land but at sea.

I highly recommend it.

Keith

If you can afford it, Disney, hands down. The reason Disney is a bit more pricey is that Disney knows young kids very well. Kids to Disney is what their business is all about and Disney can afford to do it correctly. Remember that kids the age of yours like to step away from their parents every now and then and enjoy their own vacation ;).

I vote this one. Longer, more interesting ports. Will cost less than Disney. Love the ST Lucia river tubing with Antours. Favorite excursion ever.

Is St. Lucia River Tubing safe for 6 and 9 year old girls?

6 and 9 girls

PRIME Disney target group

second choice would be RCCL Freedom class or OASIS class

but really - they are THE age to love DISNEY (but you need the 7 day and I'd even recommend further to say the 7 day WEST if your port 'restrictions' are really strong)

Bibbidy Bobbidy Boop

( kids on Disney versus kids on Princess?????? )

Edited by Capt_BJ