Booking excursions ahead of time

terryscf

I'm quite sure this was asked before but is it cheaper to book excursions before getting on the ship? My husband and I are about to take our fourth cruise and we are undecided about any excursions this time. We don't really do excursions so many m not sure of the normal costs.

Ship excursions are the same price whether you pre-book them or wait until you are on the ship for most cruise lines. Rarely are there any specials for excursions as the cruise lines sign contracts with various vendors.

If there is a particular excursion you are interested in, I would pre-book it. There are times when certain popular excursions sell out before the ship sails. And many times the cruise lines can not book extra buses, etc. through the vendor.

Not aware that any cruise line discounts excursions if purchased prior to boarding. On the contrary, popular and limited capacity excursions do sell out prior to boarding. If you haven't purchased for your Jan 4 sailing, some are sold out by now, I am sure.

Best to ask on the board for the cruise lines you are going on- NCL is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

And RCI is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

The price of ship's tours does not change no matter when you book it. I have never seen prices change at all no matter what tour.

But you will find tours that are not the ship's to be usually a lot less that the ships! We cruise a LOT (only 8 in 2015) and I can't remember the last ship's tour we took.

We now take private tours. Join your Roll Call here and find out what tours people are taking there. Often you can join them. Check the ports here and see what you might want to do. Let us know what ports you'll be in and the type of tour you like. You'll get lots of answers when you ask what's to do in each port. Private tour leaders will make sure you won't miss the boat so they don't get an unreliable review.

We never book the ship's excursions, but sometimes we pre-book a private tour. Quite often if we are not sure if we even want to book a tour, we wait until we get off of the ship and find a vendor near the pier. Never had a problem doing that way. and the price is usually quite good.:):)

I'm quite sure this was asked before but is it cheaper to book excursions before getting on the ship? My husband and I are about to take our fourth cruise and we are undecided about any excursions this time. We don't really do excursions so many m not sure of the normal costs.

Usually the excursion page will mention if you save money by booking ahead of time. The excursions will not be cheaper onboard (unless they cut the price to sell a slow selling excursion, but I would think that would be rare since that just cuts into the cruise line's profit).

Edited by sparks1093

A guidebook can help you in choosing what to do in each port. Libraries have guidebooks....

Many things don't require an excursion at all....beaches, shopping, and other attractions can usually be done on your own, without paying a guide.

So, if you're looking to save money, research your ports, decide WHAT you want to do, and we can help with HOW...

Typically the ship's excursions' prices do not change; however, if you wait, you may find that the excursion (or the most popular morning time slot) is sold out.

Exception: I remember once seeing that if a driver booked the first morning jet ski ride on Labadee, a passenger could ride for free. I don't know that it's an ongoing thing -- I only noticed it the one time we used jet skis. I assume they had trouble filling that early morning time slot, and they wanted other passengers to see people out there on the water having fun.

Note: If you have On Board Credit, you cannot use that 'til you're literally ON BOARD; thus, if you reserve an excursion ahead of time, you must pay out of pocket.

Finally, I have to agree with Husky and anyone else who says, Forget the ship's excursions! Private tours are much better: Smaller groups, more say-so in what you do, and cheaper.

...Finally, I have to agree with Husky and anyone else who says, Forget the ship's excursions! Private tours are much better: Smaller groups, more say-so in what you do, and cheaper.

Excellent advice! Run, don't walk, by the excursion desk on the ship!:D

Cunard's excursion prices increase about 10% if you wait to book after embarkation. If you book earlier they take a credit card number and charge it immediately (fully refundable before boardimg, refundable less 10% if you cancel after boarding).

i booked my ones in advance was actually lucky on one i booked for some reason it went from $139 to $149 not long after i booked it the cheaper price had been locked into my booking so i got it at the cheaper price for the time i picked the later time tour i am not sure if at the time was the cheaper of the two or was at 149 anyway which is possible , but i dont think princess changed it it may have been the operator , but if it was princess maybe they did a typo ?? in the first place

Typically the ship's excursions' prices do not change; however, if you wait, you may find that the excursion (or the most popular morning time slot) is sold out.

Exception: I remember once seeing that if a driver booked the first morning jet ski ride on Labadee, a passenger could ride for free. I don't know that it's an ongoing thing -- I only noticed it the one time we used jet skis. I assume they had trouble filling that early morning time slot, and they wanted other passengers to see people out there on the water having fun.

Note: If you have On Board Credit, you cannot use that 'til you're literally ON BOARD; thus, if you reserve an excursion ahead of time, you must pay out of pocket.

Finally, I have to agree with Husky and anyone else who says, Forget the ship's excursions! Private tours are much better: Smaller groups, more say-so in what you do, and cheaper.

so if i booked a tour and as i dont have to pay for it till the end of cruise those credits cant be used on it ???

am i reading that right

so if i booked a tour and as i dont have to pay for it till the end of cruise those credits cant be used on it ???

am i reading that right

OBC can be used for any tour unless you prepay it before booking. Otherwise it can be used for both tours booked pre-cruise and on the cruise. This applies to Princess that at least until now allows you to book tours before the cruise and have them put on your onboard account.

Edited by ontheweb
added last sentence

We never book the ship's excursions, but sometimes we pre-book a private tour. Quite often if we are not sure if we even want to book a tour, we wait until we get off of the ship and find a vendor near the pier. Never had a problem doing that way. and the price is usually quite good.:):)

I had a big disappointment back in 2008 when I tried that tactic. We walked off the ship in St. John, New Brunswick and discovered that all the jet boat tours were long since sold out. When I returned on another cruise last year, the jet boats were out of business. So no reversing falls jet boat tour for me. :(

OBC can be used for any tour unless you prepay it before booking. Otherwise it can be used for both tours booked pre-cruise and on the cruise. This applies to Princess that at least until now allows you to book tours before the cruise and have them put on your onboard account.

Cool just was getting a tad confused, was going to wait till after to pay but ended up paying before the cruise but handy to know for the next time

Cool just was getting a tad confused, was going to wait till after to pay but ended up paying before the cruise but handy to know for the next time

I would call Princess directly and ask. I haven't sailed them in several years now, but Carnival and RCI make you pay for the excursions when you book them, rather than on board. You can still cancel up to whatever the cancellation window is for those tours.

am i reading that right

If you book a ship's shore excursion (or a specialty restaurant) right now for your next-summer cruise, you pay for it today; thus, no, you cannot use OBC to pay for it.

On the other hand, if you book the same thing once you're on the ship, it'll be added to your bill, and you'll pay for it on the last day of the cruise.

Related details:

If you try to book an excursion within 10 days of sailing, you'll not be able to book with the ship.

If you book a private tour today, you probably won't pay anything until you arrive at the excursion.

Edited by MrsPete

If we REALLY want to do something, we book in advance. It's not often, but if there are any concerns w/getting back on time, or we've got OBC's to use, we'll book a ship excursions.

We have "winged it" in port a few times. Mostly good results w/that, just gotta use your best judgement.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you book a ship's shore excursion (or a specialty restaurant) right now for your next-summer cruise, you pay for it today; thus, no, you cannot use OBC to pay for it.

On the other hand, if you book the same thing once you're on the ship, it'll be added to your bill, and you'll pay for it on the last day of the cruise.

Actually this is not true of Princess. Or at least it has not been in the past. Shore excursions, even if booked well in advance, are put on your shipboard account and paid at the end of the cruise.

So to the other poster -- yes, you can use most types of OBC for this.

Actually this is not true of Princess. Or at least it has not been in the past. Shore excursions, even if booked well in advance, are put on your shipboard account and paid at the end of the cruise.

So to the other poster -- yes, you can use most types of OBC for this.

Ah, I've never done a Princess shore excursion. I suppose, then, the real answer is, Consult your cruise line ... because I know my information is accurate for a couple other lines!

Sometimes, but the savings are minimal, and not worth the effort if you are undecided about a specific excursion.