Civitavecchia to Naples

ricki

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting from Civitavecchia to Naples? We are leaving one ship and boarding the other in Naples.

I believe we would have to change trains in Rome if we went by train. I'm not looking forward to that, since we will be schlepping our luggage (one large spinner suitcase each and a single carry-on).

I have contacted a few taxi companies, but the fare is 400 Euros, which seems steep.

I'm open to all ideas! Thanks in advance!

Ricki

It's around 185 miles by road from Civitavecchia, so I'm not surprised the taxi firms want 400 euros. You could rent a car and drive yourself but I'd think that'd be more stressful than just moving your luggage from one train to another at Rome.

You do have one train option that does not require changing trains in Rome. This is the train I generally take when going to Naples from the airport. It's slower than the high speed train, but also less expensive; if fact, this is one of the few times I would recommend paying for a first class ticket, because on the IC trains there is a real difference between the classes. Also, a first class ticket on an IC train is less than a second class ticket on the Frecciarossa (high speed train).

The IC departs Civitavecchia at 9:19 AM and arrives at Napoli Centrale at 12:52 PM (three and a half hours). This is thirty minutes to one hour longer than the combination of a regional train or the IC to Rome plus the Frecciarossa to Naples, which takes two and a half hours to three hours, depending on the connection times.

You do have one train option that does not require changing trains in Rome. This is the train I generally take when going to Naples from the airport. It's slower than the high speed train, but also less expensive; if fact, this is one of the few times I would recommend paying for a first class ticket, because on the IC trains there is a real difference between the classes. Also, a first class ticket on an IC train is less than a second class ticket on the Frecciarossa (high speed train).

The IC departs Civitavecchia at 9:19 AM and arrives at Napoli Centrale at 12:52 PM (three and a half hours). This is thirty minutes to one hour longer than the combination of a regional train or the IC to Rome plus the Frecciarossa to Naples, which takes two and a half hours to three hours, depending on the connection times.

What a helpful recommendation!! That would make it a loss less stressful to take the train if we did not have to change in Rome. Thank you very much! Is the first class ticket in a compartment or just a car of other first class seats? I really appreciate your help!

Ricki

First class in an IC train is a compartment that has six seats (three on each side facing each other). There are storage racks above the seats for luggage. When I've had a bad too large (or heavy) for me to lift up onto the racks I've simply left it in the passageway outside of the compartment.

FYI, this train does stop in Rome (for about ten minutes) but you don't get off or change trains.

Civitavecchia 09:19 (D)

Roma Ostiense 10:05 (A) 10:07 (D)

Roma Termini 10:18 (A) 10:39 (D)

Latina 11:06 (A) 11:08 (D)

Formia 11:50 (A) 11:52 (D)

Aversa 12:26 (A) 12:28 (D)

Napoli Centrale 12:52 (A)

We only have two suggestions. One would be the train and the other would be to simply rent a car (one-way) and drive. The drive from Civitavecchia to Naples is almost all on excellent 4 lane fast Autostrade. As a generaly rule, the major rental car companies do not charge a one-way drop fee as long as you pick-up and drop within Italy. The most convenient rental car company in Civitavecchia is Hertz, but Europcar and Budget are also possible alternatives (a little further from the main port entrance). If you are interested the driving time between Civitavecchia and Naples is only about 3 hours. When we do this drive we usually have a few extra days so we like to spend those extra days on the Amalfi Coast.

Hank

First class in an IC train is a compartment that has six seats (three on each side facing each other). There are storage racks above the seats for luggage. When I've had a bad too large (or heavy) for me to lift up onto the racks I've simply left it in the passageway outside of the compartment.

FYI, this train does stop in Rome (for about ten minutes) but you don't get off or change trains.

Civitavecchia 09:19 (D)

Roma Ostiense 10:05 (A) 10:07 (D)

Roma Termini 10:18 (A) 10:39 (D)

Latina 11:06 (A) 11:08 (D)

Formia 11:50 (A) 11:52 (D)

Aversa 12:26 (A) 12:28 (D)

Napoli Centrale 12:52 (A)

Thank you, again, euro cruiser, for your help. Do you know if there is a later train? I'm just concerned about the ship being cleared in time to make a 9:19 train. It may be a moot point, since the ship overnights in Civitavecchia. Also, do you have the website on which to make the reservations? I greatly appreciate your suggestion.

Ricki

We only have two suggestions. One would be the train and the other would be to simply rent a car (one-way) and drive. The drive from Civitavecchia to Naples is almost all on excellent 4 lane fast Autostrade. As a generaly rule, the major rental car companies do not charge a one-way drop fee as long as you pick-up and drop within Italy. The most convenient rental car company in Civitavecchia is Hertz, but Europcar and Budget are also possible alternatives (a little further from the main port entrance). If you are interested the driving time between Civitavecchia and Naples is only about 3 hours. When we do this drive we usually have a few extra days so we like to spend those extra days on the Amalfi Coast.

Hank

Thank you, Hank! Our only concern about driving is navigating the streets and traffic in Naples.

Ricki

Unfortunately, the only other IC train that doesn't require a change in Rome isn't until 5:22 PM. There are lots of trains inbetween but all require a change in Rome.

The web site to make reservations is http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html.

Keep in mind that it is difficult, and sometimes impossible, to make a change or get a refund if you miss a train. If you are fairly confident that you'll make your train, by all means purchase in advance because you can sometimes get a discounted fare.

If you are overnighting in Civitavecchia there shouldn't be any problem getting off the ship and to the station in time for the 9:19 train. The station is only five blocks from the cruise port.

Off subject here, but I had to say the answers given to the OP's questions here are what I love about CC. Even with all the complaints and flaming we see here everyday, I love it when someone can give great detailed information like this. BRAVO

Thank you, Hank! Our only concern about driving is navigating the streets and traffic in Naples.

I have driven all over Italy, including downtown Naples. One of the key things to keep in mind are the limited traffic zones (ZTLs) in effect in most cities and even towns of a decent size. The fines for driving in these restricted areas are significant. The area around the cruise port is busy with traffic pretty much all day long, every day. Additionally, there is significant construction going on in the area as they are building a new metro line that will have a major station just across from the cruise port.

If you are going directly to the cruise port to board a ship that day I think the train makes more sense. It's a short ten - fifteen minute cab ride from the train station to the port and there is a fixed fare, so no worries about getting ripped off on the price of the cab. The price of the cab ride is Euro 10,50, inclusive of luggage. (You can download the fare chart here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/6665, which I recommend. Carry a copy with you, use a highlighter to indicate where you want to go and the price, so the driver cannot claim he didn't understand you. The cruise port is not listed as a fixed fare location, but Molo Beverello is and it's right next door.)

Thank you again for the detailed and helpful information. We're going to follow your advice and take the train.

There shouldn't be a problem getting of the ship in the early morning, since we will be cleared by customs the day before.

You did us a great favor! Many thanks!

Ricki

Agree with Euro that those Italian ZTLs are a royal pain in the u know what. It certainly does not stop us from driving in Italy (more then 10,000 miles in the country without a traffic or ZTL ticket) but it sure makes us do our homework (the ZTLs are always changing) :) But for the record the ZTLs are not a problem when driving between Civitavecchia and Naples or along the Amalfi Coast (love this region).

Hank

Euro Cruiser,

Would you mind recommending a moderately priced hotel in a quiet and safe area of Naples, please. Any dining suggestions would be appreciated, too.

Um, I may not be much help on the hotel. I generally stay in an apartment when in Naples, one that's incredibly convenient to the cruise port but is, unfortunately, only let by the week.

The two hotels I have stayed in are not what I would call moderate, but both are in very safe neighborhoods. Of the two, my favorite is the Mediterraneo (a Marriott/Renaissance hotel, if you have points with them). It's only a few blocks from the cruise port, in a quiet and safe area, and close to shops, restaurants, etc. Web site is here: http://www.mediterraneonapoli.com/ita/home.htm. I introduced myself to Berlusconi in the lobby one day ... (he was there for a meeting of his political party) and was amazed that his security people let me walk right up to him. I think this was between stints as the PM, not while he was the PM.

The other one is on the waterfront, the Santa Lucia. Web site here: http://www.santalucia.it/en

As for restaurants, my current favorite in Naples is Il Garum in Piazza Monteoliveto (web site here: http://www.ristoranteilgarum.it/). Wonderfully inventive food, beautifully presented and reasonably priced.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Euro-Cruiser,

Thank you again for your assistance. We were able to purchase our tickets on line on the 9:19 train from Civitavecchia to Naples, first class--and got a discount for purchasing early.

We checked with Oceania, and since we are in Civitavecchia overnight, customs will have cleared the ship the day before we disembark, so we shouldn't have trouble getting off the ship early. Kind posters on another thread have posted an aerial view of the area from the ship to the train station and a link to a You Tube video that shows the walk from the port to the train.

Thank you very much for your help!!

Ricki

Archived