Bus system

MrsElizabeth

I've seen lots of talk about the bus system on GC. Are they buses or passenger vans? We'll be traveling with 2 babies in our group and are not comfortable driving without car seats.

Thanks!

Hi,

They are passenger vans and they get very crowded. For $2 more ( $4 per person each way), I would take a taxi van and then you can bring whatever you need.

they are a type of van not sold in the US . . . . but very common in the 'islands'

" Buses are minibuses up to 12 passengers"

http://thebusschedule.com/EN/ky/#.VOZUW_0tHcs

bus.jpg.441x0_default.jpg

The bus terminal is located adjacent the Public Library on Edward St. in downtown George Town and serves as the dispatch point for buses to all districts. There are 38 mini-buses operated by 24 licensed operators, serving eight routes. Daily service starts at 6 a.m. from the depot

Licensed buses are identified by blue licence plates. To maintain consistency in fares, each bus must display a fare table outlining standard government-authorized fares.

http://www.sunsethouse.com/island-info/island-bus-system.htm

they are a type of van not sold in the US . . . . but very common in the 'islands'

" Buses are minibuses up to 12 passengers"

http://thebusschedule.com/EN/ky/#.VOZUW_0tHcs

bus.jpg.441x0_default.jpg

The bus terminal is located adjacent the Public Library on Edward St. in downtown George Town and serves as the dispatch point for buses to all districts. There are 38 mini-buses operated by 24 licensed operators, serving eight routes. Daily service starts at 6 a.m. from the depot

Licensed buses are identified by blue licence plates. To maintain consistency in fares, each bus must display a fare table outlining standard government-authorized fares.

http://www.sunsethouse.com/island-info/island-bus-system.htm

Do they have seat belts to install car seats? Or are they like a US bus that wouldn't need a car seat?

I can not remember EVER seeing a seat belt in a van like this .... they typically have 'jump seats' that block the aisles .....

btw ... most time I've taken a taxi in Cayman .... it was the same type vehicle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What's a taxi van? Is it different than a taxi?

It is a van that serves as a taxi. Usually they try to fill up all seats before heading to the requested destination.

I rode a public bus this past week 3 times during a trip to Grand Cayman and can confirm there were no seat belts in any of the 3 bus vans I rode in.

It is a van that serves as a taxi. Usually they try to fill up all seats before heading to the requested destination.

I rode a public bus this past week 3 times during a trip to Grand Cayman and can confirm there were no seat belts in any of the 3 bus vans I rode in.

That seems a bit scary, did you feel unsafe?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Especially along the Seven Mile Beach stretch, they really don't go very fast. It's about the same level of scary as driving along the main street in a typical small or mid-size town in the U.S. (As in, not scary at all. I believe the speed limit on that stretch is 25mph, but due to traffic you never get up even close to that speed.)

Driving in NYC, Vegas or LA, or even Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, etc. is much scarier. :-)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Just a tad bit worrisome because I always wear my seat belt when a drive or ride in a car, but like someone else posted, they don't go excessively fast.

They do go faster than 25mph though bc I glanced at the speedometer or whatever it is called that measures velocity.

I tried to think positive thoughts and hoped for the best :)

PS: No seatbelts in the taxis I rode in Jamaica, St. Kitts, or Cozumel either in my personal experience. And in those places... it is definitely scary fast driving on 2 lane roads and passing other vehicles and mopeds and pedestrians with an inch to spare!

Edited by CocoCandy

They do go faster than 25mph though bc I glanced at the speedometer or whatever it is called that measures velocity.

You might have been seeing the speed in kilometres per hour, which would look "bigger" than 25 mph...

You might have been seeing the speed in kilometres per hour, which would look "bigger" than 25 mph...

It is a possibility.

I lived on the island though for a few years and had a car there, so I am familiar with the area and kph.

Especially along the Seven Mile Beach stretch, they really don't go very fast. It's about the same level of scary as driving along the main street in a typical small or mid-size town in the U.S. (As in, not scary at all. I believe the speed limit on that stretch is 25mph, but due to traffic you never get up even close to that speed.)

Driving in NYC, Vegas or LA, or even Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, etc. is much scarier. :-)

Speed limit along West Bay Road is currently 40mph. It is slated to be reduced to 30mph soon.

And yes, many buses and taxis are imported from Japan and still have speedometers that read in kph. 40mph = 64kph. 30mph = 48kph