Tours without booking on Isle of Pines/Turtle Bay/Natural Aquarium/Brush Island

kippeth

Hello. I'm just wondering if anyone has first hand experience of being able to hop onto a tour bus upon arrival at Isle of Pines (from locals offering them) and if there are people able to take you to specific sites on the island? The sites that we're particularly interested in going to are:

* Turtle Bay/Brush Farm

* The Natural Aquarium

* Visit St Joseph Bay and ride in a native outrigger/Pirogue

Ideally, we'd like the opportunity to be able to get into the water with the turtles if they're around because they're very friendly and it's my daughter's dream to do so. So in saying that, we don't want to just go on a boat ride, we'd like to stop and be able to jump in the water.

Jean and his private tour company are booked for that day and another has yet to respond so I don't like my chances of being able to book a tour before departure. So it would be peace of mind to know that we might be able to get something being offered on the day by locals near the pier. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Angela

Edited by kippeth

Last time we where there May 2015 there were 2 tours being offered by the locals. As you get off the ship turn left and walk for 100 Meters near the beach ware shop they will have signs. The Natural Aquarium is excellent we went with Sam who for $20 dropped us off and collected us 2 hours later. We paid $10 entrance and then a shallow walk through a lagoon signposted with blue flags. Wear reef shoes. No coral but an amazing amount of fish.

You could probably book to do the other tour in the afternoon. It also is very good. It visits the convict ruins, the local village and church and St Joseph Bay with photo stops on the way.

The guides speak limited English.

If your hungry there is food available. I can recommend the Nems Fried Crepe Spring Rolls and the Fish Kebabs.

We have been there 6 times and missed out once due to bad weather. When are you going?

• 9 months later...
Hello. I'm just wondering if anyone has first hand experience of being able to hop onto a tour bus upon arrival at Isle of Pines (from locals offering them) and if there are people able to take you to specific sites on the island? The sites that we're particularly interested in going to are:

* Turtle Bay/Brush Farm

* The Natural Aquarium

* Visit St Joseph Bay and ride in a native outrigger/Pirogue

Ideally, we'd like the opportunity to be able to get into the water with the turtles if they're around because they're very friendly and it's my daughter's dream to do so. So in saying that, we don't want to just go on a boat ride, we'd like to stop and be able to jump in the water.

Jean and his private tour company are booked for that day and another has yet to respond so I don't like my chances of being able to book a tour before departure. So it would be peace of mind to know that we might be able to get something being offered on the day by locals near the pier. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Angela

Hi kippeth, just wondering if you have been on cruise yet and if so whether you went to turtle bay?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Forums mobile app

I know for sure that there were locals happy to give a tour to the Natural Aquarium - $20 for a round trip shuttle and $10 admission to the natural aquarium per person. There were also larger tours that did more stops on the island and were a little more but still pretty reasonable especially considering the prices on board the ship. I don't remember seeing turtle bay specifically, but there were probably 4-6 operators hanging around just as we left the ship ready to offer tours of different types so one may well have gone there.

Are the prices US$ or AUD $. I assume that you are paying cash?

Places that charged in $ were charging Aussie dollars, so the $20 round trip/ $10 admission was definitely AUD. Some actually said AUD/USD on their boards, but of course you'd be best to pay in AUD anyway due to exchange rate.

We did take out some local currency from an ATM in our first port and generally planned to use that when we could. Just seemed respectful of turning up in someone else's country to use their currency. Keep an eye on exchange rates, though, sometimes you actually paid more if you paid in local currency.

And yes, paid in cash.