Cozumel to Cancun

Busman723

Why lunch in Cancun? The tourist area of Cancun is a hotel zone and works for land vacations but not for day visits. Is there someplace in particular you want to go?

You would need to ferry and bus and it would leave very little time there. I'd figure at least 5 hrs in transit including wait times...

We plan to take the ferry and then a bus, both ways. I can not find any flights.

Don't forget to factor in taxi to and from ferry if you are at southern piers.

Air is Mayair but doesn't look much use for your schedule although time of year and ship/local time may factor in.

I think fitting in with ferry times would be really difficult on such a short cruise ship day.

It is certainly doable with 9 hrs in port and not that expensive, but the question is why would you go that far for lunch? Is there a special reason like you are meeting family who is staying in Cancun? If that were the case it would be nice to meet them in Playa.

Just trying to understand the "why"...It may just be that you aren't aware of the distance? And are you thinking of Cancun or the "hotel zone"? I assumed the latter earlier but I may be wrong...please clarify. If this is something important you can get much more help with the ADO bus schedule on the Playa Del Carmen forum on TripAdvisor.

Edited by blue_water

Taxi to the ferry, and then the 45 minute ferry trip to PDC followed by an hour in a taxi to Cancun. 2+ hours each way if you are lucky.

Be sure to leave Cancun in plenty of time - you do not want to miss the ship! :eek:

It would be better for you if they are willing to come down to Playa Del Carmen for a few hours. It's about an hour ride from Cancun. They can easily and inexpensively take the Colectivo for a few bucks.

You could ferry over and meet someplace on the beach or 5th ave. That's probably going to be the best bet!

It would be better for you if they are willing to come down to Playa Del Carmen for a few hours. It's about an hour ride from Cancun. They can easily and inexpensively take the Colectivo for a few bucks.

You could ferry over and meet someplace on the beach or 5th ave. That's probably going to be the best bet!

I agree! Far less stressful.

You're getting the same advice over and over only because you would be spending much of your time in transit and the bus ride isn't particularly interesting in itself. As I mentioned you'll spend a good 5 hrs with no major delays just to have a lunch and that wouldn't be our idea of a nice day. The ferry is 30 min and the bus ride about an hour + any wait times.

So why don't you invite your friends to meet you at a fun restaurant in Playa? That would give them (and you) an opportunity to see Playa if they haven't already. We can recommend great spots to meet in Playa (off 5th Ave or on the beach) depending on what you want.

Otherwise if you've already toured Coz come over to the Yucatán and explore a bit there away from town...

But if you do go to Cancun or they come to Playa we'd recommend the ADO bus over the collectivo to save precious time. The ADO bus is inexpensive, only stops in Puerto Morelos and is very comfortable with AC.

Good lunch whatever your choice!

Edited by blue_water

It would make more sense to have them meet you in Cozumel since you are on a schedule and they are more flexible with their time. If that's not an option meeting in Playa is the only other option I would consider not going to Cancun. You would spend more time in transit and stressing over getting back on time

Thanks for the great advice. We are meeting Playa.

Thanks again

Great - anyplace in particular you are meeting? If you want to meet for a lunch and great cocktails on the beach, Indigo at the El Taj hotel would be our first choice. Zenzi is another great spot, as is Wah Wah. Otherwise there are several fun restaurants right on 5th Ave which is a pedestrian walkway with shops and restaurants. Just walk from the ferry to 5th and go right for wherever you decide to meet.

http://www.indigobeach.com.mx/

http://zenzi-playa.com/

https://www.facebook.com/wahwahbeachbar/