Mosquitoes

JBrunner

I have been to Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen/Tulum once before on a cruise and I do not remember any mosquitoes bites. I have been told by a local in that area that they are only around in the rainy season. But it seems to me that they would be there all year long due to warm weather. For those that have been there in February and March, have you ever had problems with mosquitoes?

We have not. We were in Playa last March, August, and November and were never bitten. In the rainy season in the jungle and mangroves you'd want to apply good protection. But we wouldn't be concerned that time of year, especially if not in the deep jungle. There is a travel advisory for pregnant women in many areas, including Mexico due to the Zika virus. But for others no real concern.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Obviously there are concerns today throughout the Americas with the zika virus spreading and pe it's very serious, especially for pregnant women. But of all the times we've sister, including last Feb we rarely are bothered by mosquitoes. But you definitely do need to take precautions when in jungle areas. Many folks report problems whe staying at resorts along the Riviera Maya, as many of these are situated in the jungle.