Anthem of the Seas - Bahamas, Bermuda or Sth Caribbean?

Which would you pick for a first cruise?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you pick for a first cruise?

• Anthem // 7 nights Bermuda
    • Anthem // 7 nights Bahamas
    • Anthem // 12 nights South Caribbean

Hello all! First time poster here, apologies if this question has been asked elsewhere already - I've tried searching around and figure it might be worth posting here.

I'm looking to book a cruise specifically on Anthem during March-April 2017 (sister is in the production cast), so the available options to me are 7-8 nights Bahamas or Bermuda or 12 nights Southern Caribbean.

Does anyone have experience of any of these lines and might be able to compare?

Thanks in advance for your help. Looking forward to going on my first cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

My preference would be for the longer cruise. Not only do you get to be on the ship longer, but I find the Southern Caribbean stops more interesting. Plus, you may see your sister in more shows on the longer cruise.

Welcome! I also chose the longer cruise option. The ports in the Southern Caribbean are second to none, and you will be able to experience some of the bluest water and best beaches in the world. Since it will be in April, you will most likely have nice sunning weather for the duration of the cruise, and swimmable weather for a good majority of the cruise.

Like the other poster said, you also get to see your sister perform more! :D

Hello all! First time poster here, apologies if this question has been asked elsewhere already - I've tried searching around and figure it might be worth posting here.

I'm looking to book a cruise specifically on Anthem during March-April 2017 (sister is in the production cast), so the available options to me are 7-8 nights Bahamas or Bermuda or 12 nights Southern Caribbean.

Does anyone have experience of any of these lines and might be able to compare?

Thanks in advance for your help. Looking forward to going on my first cruise!

For 2016, the Anthem's first visit to Bermuda was the first week in May; the preliminary Bermuda 2017 Cruise Ship schedule has the same.

SBtS

Thanks all for your replies!

I think we are deciding to go with the 12-night Southern Caribbean option for all of the reasons you guys mentioned above. The ports of call sound much more varied too, and it's definitely a bonus to see my sister more.

The 7 night Bermuda is indeed listed in my options on the site, but as it's on the 29th April it's practically May yes. I decided against that one as the only main ports of call are Bermuda and Boston.

Awesome. I shall go and pester other related groups for accommodation tips. Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks all for your replies!

I think we are deciding to go with the 12-night Southern Caribbean option for all of the reasons you guys mentioned above. The ports of call sound much more varied too, and it's definitely a bonus to see my sister more.

The 7 night Bermuda is indeed listed in my options on the site, but as it's on the 29th April it's practically May yes. I decided against that one as the only main ports of call are Bermuda and Boston.

Awesome. I shall go and pester other related groups for accommodation tips. Thanks so much for your help!

For accommodations - East Coast Departures. Try to fly in and out of Newark. JFK is a long way from Cape Liberty and expensive to get to and from New Jersey. Look at all your flight, hotel and transportation/transfer costs before you commit to anything.

I was on the Anthem in October for 9 nights. The Anthem is huge. 7 nights would not have been enough to experience everything she has to offer.

12 nights would be awesome and if i had time left, I would think about doing one, though I don't think I could ever get away for longer than 10 nights any more :(

For a 1st cruise, I would recommend a 7-day or shorter cruise. Also if you do Southern Caribbean 1st, you may very well likely be disappointed when you try Eastern or Western Caribbean or the Bahamas.

Hear you ... BUT ... it's also possible that going to the Bahamas or Bermuda might be so much of a disappointment they would never want to cruise again. :o

I don't know if the OP has ever cruised before.

If it were me, I would always want to select the longer itinerrary.

More places to visit.

More time to explore and enjoy the ship.

Plus! More time to spend with the sister that the OP may not always get to experience.

Edited by IWORK2CRUISE

I don't know if the OP has ever cruised before.

If it were me, I would always want to select the longer itinerrary.

More places to visit.

More time to explore and enjoy the ship.

Plus! More time to spend with the sister that the OP may not always get to experience.

Saying that someone shouldn't visit the Southern Caribbean on their first cruise because it may make ports like Nassau not as enjoyable is like telling someone not to go to Europe because they have never left North America. I personally wouldn't recommend a brand, flashy new ship for a first cruise, because that could distort your image of the entire cruise industry, but if you by chance get to enjoy St.Kitts on your first cruise, that doesn't mean you will not appreciate Nassau on your 2nd. That is also assuming that they will not like Nassau, I for one enjoy a port stop there and continually visit the same beach, and always find good shopping deals there. But that's just me.

The OP also never specified whether or not it was their first cruise. The OP didn't ask for our opinion on where we though they should cruise first, they asked which itinerary we thought was the best between the options listed. :)

OP, I'm glad to see you are leaning for the 12 night. You should get great weather and a nice time with your sister! What are the ports?

Edited by OceansOfTravels

The main ports are:

• San Juan, Puerto Rico
  • Philipsburg, St. Maarten
  • St. John's, Antigua
  • Fort de France, Martinique
  • Bridgetown, Barbados
  • Basseterre, St. Kitts

Oh and yes I briefly mentioned in my post that this will be my first time. We are based in the UK usually and have never been on a cruise before, especially not to the Caribbean. We anticipate a trip like this will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime type thing, but that we might do some other European cruises closer to home in the future. Our logic is that we go big and go home - quite literally. :D Even if we do decide to do future cruises, I think we'd prefer our first one to be a showstopper. So far we've plumped for the balcony room, too, and will get normal cabins on future stays.

Hopefully my sister can qualify for an employee discount too, in which case the price hurts just a little less!

Really appreciate all your input. I came into this pretty much clueless and now am much more confident about my trip! :)