Disembarking in Fort Lauderdale - flight from Miami?

almostnewtocruise

On our fall cruise we'll be disembarking in F. Lauderdale, but the (much) better option to fly home is from MAP. It will be a first for us - so I have some questions;

Do cruise companies provide shuttles from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami Airport? If not - what other options are there?

How long does it take? (in other words - considering everything - does a 5 pm flight seem doable?)

any advice will be highly appreciated!

Miriam

I know HAL has shuttles @ $30 pp

If you have a late flight you might check if your cruise line offers tours then drop you at MIA later in the day

Other options rent a car for the day

Miriam, a 5:00 PM flight is most doable.

Since you will be flying back Internationally and Miami is a very busy airport I would arrive there by 2:00 PM which will provide more than enough time. Some people might say by 3:00 PM but again I would just arrive early and you could always have lunch there after you check in.

The drive itself is around 45 minutes. Precise times varies.

You could be one of the first people off the ship if you want to sightsee or you could be one of the last people off the ship and just leisurely head to Miami and maybe stop off somewhere for lunch in Miami and then go over to the airport.

You can post on the cruise line board to see if the cruise line has shuttles between the port and the Miami airport or you could hire a private car or take a shuttle or a taxi. I would probably go with the private car. Maybe they can include a little tour for you of Miami.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Thanks, guys - you were very helpful!

I discovered that my cruise (Celebrity) does indeed offer a transfer to MIA - with a short excursion (and presumably one without it too :)).

We've done only 2 TA cruises that ended in the US .. and on one of them the experience of disembarking was so bad, that I don;t know if I want to take the chance of an excursion.. not sure if we'll manage to get to the airport at 2-3 PM as suggested! :o

miriam

Cruise shuttle bus transfers from PE to MIA typically charge $30-35+ per person; private shuttles are about the same unless you have a big group (8-10) travelling together. A taxi on the run from PE to MIA will charge you about $80+tip on the meter. If there are 3 or more travelling together a cab or private car service (check with Larry's Limos and Go Airport) will be a better deal. For parties of two or solo cruisers the cruise bus will save you some $$.