Dialysis While Cruising

Singer4Him

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from Explorer of the Seas with dialysis for DH... Been on dialysis for about a year and first try at cruising with dialysis. All went VERY WELL. Neuphrologist and nurses were the friendliest and professional. Dialysis time was at 6AM and finished up by 10 which left the rest of the day to do whatever we wanted.

As far as the insurance coverage; Medicare does NOT pay and we are waiting for bill from Dialysis At Sea to submit to health provider. From as much as I have read, most pay out of pocket....which can become pretty pricey (9 days was $4,100) almost the same price as the cruise. We love to cruise and it was worth it for us to try....being the first time and not knowing how would effect, we chose a balcony cabin. One of the best moves we made as we are not beach people and sitting on the balcony in the afternoon was fine. There are other forums concerning dialysis; but 'twinbee' hit it on the head; get a hold of Dialysis at Seas.....they offer this service on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Holland America...BUT only certain sailings and certain dates AND you are to book thru them (DAS) They do have a calendar and you can check all dates and itineraries. We have booked two more cruises for 2015.....saving our money and changing our "will".:D

• 1 month later...

Just want to enforce how well dialysis went for DH. Have been in contact with nurses from Explorer of the Seas and they are going to try and be on one of the cruises with us in March 2015. Have posted on two threads....all "my" fears were, for nothing, just have to book thru Dialysis At Sea or pay extra to go thru TA..... Judy

• 2 weeks later...

My DH has been on home hemo dialysis for 4 years. He does dialysis 5 days a week. We travel with the machine and most of the supplies. I have the dialysate and saline delivered directly to the ship. On board he does the treatments while we sleep so no time is lost during the day. It's very convenient. We have done three cruises and I just booked a cruise for next May.

If you need a good dialysis website, I suggest Ihatedialysis.com

Yoletta

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Granny&Pap, Do you have private Ins.? If you don't mind me asking. We are trying to book a cruise for my Daughter, who is on Hemodialysis. Have been in contact with Dialysis at Sea people, and getting ready to book. Would love any info you might be able to pass on, thanks !:)