which would you do and why?

Susiecruisey

For 3 people a 5 night cruise in an inside cabin on the dream for 450. Or a 9 night wdw vacation in a mod resort with hoppers and the dinning plan for 4070? In june 2015.

Whilst I like cruising the 9 night sounds better at WDW but all food and entertainment is included on DCL

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

Tough one. WDW is bound to be stressful. 9 days in a hotel room and having to make dining reservations to take advantage of the Dining Plan doesn't sound like fun. The heat was so bad the last time we went in June, we said never again. I love WDW, but usually by the time my trip is over, I'm ready to go and thinking I don't want to do that again for a while.

The cruise should be relaxing but a lot of fun. We've cruised DCL twice and LOVED it. Our kids love it, we adults love it. The cruise ends and we want more. I would take a 7 day cruise to nowhere if they offered it (at a reasonable price of course). The ship is the destination for me. So far, there are plenty of things on board that I haven't done so I would go again in a heartbeat.

Edited by BullDawg91

The plan that has a ys a qick service and a snack each day.

Don't forget to add in gratuties for any table service restaurants at WDW, and gratuties on the ship. $12 per day per person..in your comparisons.

I admit I would not want to eat quick service at WDW for 9 days. There is a variety of food if you work at it, but still....

What is your WDW style? Take no prisoners, go till they turn out the lights? (I have friends like that!) Lines will be long, it will be hot. If that's okay with you, go for it. I don't like the combo of the heat and lines. I don't like having to fool with Fastpasses to get to ride things.

We did 10 days at WDW at the Beach Club the end of June leading up to the 3 day cruise on the Dream July 4th weekend. We had a 1 bedroom villa that was like an apartment which was great. We love the pools at the BC, and had the Dining plan and like others have mentioned getting ADRs to the restaurants we wanted is always a hassle. Crowds were high and lines we long. We don't even care much about that we have been to WDW so many times ( 3 in the last year alone!) and had annual passes so we only spent a few hours a day at a park, we have the things we like to do, we get fastpasses and do what we can. We love WDW we really do, but I always say that WDW is all about WALKING and WAITING. Waiting for a bus, the monorail, a ride, a show, a restaurant, etc. Loads of time spent just waiting. The cruise on the other hand, was wayyy too short. The service was impeccable, and yes we had a much smaller room than we did at the Beach club, but it was still great. So many food options, room service included and the alcoholic drinks were cheaper on the cruise also. Of course there is still some walking (which I like walking) but not so much you are dead exhausted after a few days of it. Not nearly as much waiting either. There are lines for some things like the waterslide and to meet the characters, but nothing like the waiting at WDW. For the week after Thanksgiving I figured out it would be within $200 of the same for 7 day cruise on the Fantasy or 7 days at a Value resort with tickets and Dining. The cruise won cant wait to do the 7 day now!

I would choose option c if Disney is your main draw. A few days at Disney and then a cruise on another line for less money. This is a more economical option plus it avoids a lot of time in summer crowded parks, but it lets you get a taste of Mickey. I love Disney but I just think the cost of the cruises are ridiculous. Plus kids love the rides so I bet your kids will rather do the parks.

Only on.your options I says the cruises I prefer them over the parks. I also have an annual pass CA so I am biased to short days in the parks.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Whilst I like cruising the 9 night sounds better at WDW but all food and entertainment is included on DCL

Park hopper passes=entertainmet

Dining plan = food

I am fortunate to have some control over my cruise dates. As such, I can look for bargains, or if I do choose to spend the big money, make sure I'm getting something special for the premium price.

Your cruise price of $300 per person per day is WAY above my "target" price for an inside cabin. Depending on your restaurant choices, the food is significantly better at WDW than on the ship. Stay away from the character buffets and the more popular dinner outlets in the parks (other than EPCOT) and you'll find many hidden gems in the more upscale resorts. EPCOT restaurants tend to be very good as well.

Generally I prefer the ship, but I'd have to be getting something pretty special to pay $300 per person per night in and inside cabin.

Quick service doesn't have to be a burger and fries if you know where to look. The restaurant at Norway and the Pepper Market at Caribbean Beach are examples of GOOD quick service food. Pepper Market salmon is amazing!

With a little effort and just a little supplementation, a snack credit ca almost be a breakfast. Example--you can get a quart of milk as a snack credit. We used to bring a box of my daughter's favorite cereal, purchase a 1/2 gallon of juice, and have a couple days of breakfast on that. No, one box of cereal won't feed you for 9 days, but the food in the stores at the resorts is not badly priced. 1/2 gallon of milk was $2.95 in May, 2014. At home, it is $1.99. Everything I prices was in that similar range--15-30% above home prices. That's not a huge markup for WDW.

I would choose option c if Disney is your main draw. A few days at Disney and then a cruise on another line for less money. This is a more economical option plus it avoids a lot of time in summer crowded parks, but it lets you get a taste of Mickey. I love Disney but I just think the cost of the cruises are ridiculous. Plus kids love the rides so I bet your kids will rather do the parks.

I like that idea. Nothing wrong with cruising another line. Especially, if it's worked around visiting WDW.

As long as expectations are managed.

I would go on the cruise.

However, I live in Orlando. But when I visit the parks often times I look around and think why do people want to come on vacation here.

It is exhausting and there are people everywhere pushing and shoving.

I know I don't have the best perspective...but I find cruising much more relaxing than time spent in the parks.

I am a huge fan of WDW and have recently booked my first cruise (on the Dream) for next July. Before our cruise, we are spending four nights at WDW.

Not sure how helpful my opinion will be as I love WDW and haven't been on DCL yet. Given the prices you stated, I would go to WDW.

We often go to WDW in June/July. Yes it is HOT and crowded. With proper advanced planning, you can get ADR's and Fastpass Plus. We find it to be a great vacation for us.

Have a wonderful vacation, whichever you choose.

I think you would enjoy a Disney Cruise more. However, your price seems really high. If you are flexible, you should be able to get the cruise for a lot less money.

You may want to look at the IGT, OGT and VGT rates. These are much more reasonable. Google Disney Cruise VGT rates and you should be able to find out more information. There are Disney Cruises for $125.00 per person per day using these rates for a balcony cabin.

Disney Cruises are excellent and I think you would really enjoy one.

Best of luck with whichever you choose.

soccer

I'd choose 9 nights at WDW over a 5 night cruise if:

1) the kid likes rides and is tall enough to ride them all (or most);

2) napping is not a requirement;

3) you like to eat a big dinner;

4) everyone is in good shape and walking around the parks won't be an issue.

I'd really pick the cruise if all of the above is correct plus any of the following:

a) you like to swim (not splash around);

b) you really like fireworks (every night somewhere at WDW, only once - seas permitting on the cruise);

c) you prefer different nationality / varieties of food (i.e. if you love to eat around the world in Epcot - you generally won't find that kind of variety on the ship)

For us, I'm not in great shape (wasn't before when we visited WDW but now the idea of walking the parks makes me cringe); my mom uses a wheelchair and can't transfer into ride vehicles (they must be the roll on kind) so it's very limiting for rides; and my dad's knees are shot so there would be the extra expense of an EVC for him.

We also prefer not to be scheduled - preferring to eat, sleep and "be" when and where we choose that day. We've done the scheduled WDW trips and at the time it was great but now, it feels too much like work.

We also prefer the do something / do nothing mentality that the cruise gives you. My parents are both retired so they aren't used to schedules any more and I am over scheduled at work - while on a cruise I *love* the "do nothing" part. :D

I'd choose 9 nights at WDW over a 5 night cruise if:

1) the kid likes rides and is tall enough to ride them all (or most);

2) napping is not a requirement;

3) you like to eat a big dinner;

4) everyone is in good shape and walking around the parks won't be an issue.

I'd really pick the cruise if all of the above is correct plus any of the following:

a) you like to swim (not splash around);

b) you really like fireworks (every night somewhere at WDW, only once - seas permitting on the cruise);

c) you prefer different nationality / varieties of food (i.e. if you love to eat around the world in Epcot - you generally won't find that kind of variety on the ship)

I'm pretty sure you meant to say, "pick WDW."

We have been to WDW many times, but it gets stressful (especially the longer you stay). Also, WDW in June is HOT...and we never could stay all day. I would choose the cruise. While the time may be shorter, the experience will be something you will never forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums