White dinner jackets on a Cunard cruise black and white ball

Drunkensailor123

The list of dress codes and which nights are balls for all the ships is here:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Click on the link for the QM2

Thank you so much for this ; -)

However, from a purely logical point of view, waistcoats (vests) or cummerbunds are not necessary on double- breasted dinner jackets - because such jackets are never unbuttoned (except when they are taken off :))

Barry

Shhhhh. Don't let Himself hear you. He is of the firm opinion that double breasted dinner jackets are for when the belly is a bit more robust than usual. Camoflauge don't you know! all that extra overlap is for a slimming/concealing effect....

Have just read through this thread as we're toying with the idea of trying Cunard for 2015.

I have to post to say thank you to all posters for a really entertaining 15 minutes - have laughed out loud for a variety of reasons and it is great to see posters with a sense of humour. :) (You were joking eh?:confused:;))

See some of you on board sometime I hope.

• 2 months later...
attachment.php?attachmentid=303520&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1393343081attachment.php?attachmentid=303521&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1393343081

I'm sure that the denizens of Downton would conduct a far more elegant omnibus. (Refer to

for the proper definition of omnibus.)

Good heavens - another Flanders & Swan afficionado! (with, one presumes, your bottle of afficiolemonade :D) Let me see... I believe the definition runs along the lines of "to or for, by, with or from everybody" :D

Good heavens - another Flanders & Swan afficionado! (with, one presumes, your bottle of afficiolemonade :D) Let me see... I believe the definition runs along the lines of "to or for, by, with or from everybody" :D
Definition correct, but my bottle is Madeira.

Definition correct, but my bottle is Madeira.

"Now if it were gin, you'd be wrong to say yes,

The evil gin does would be hard to assess..." :-)

...and perhaps I ought not to continue, lest I be tried by centre court and found guilty of thread-jacking. :D

Edited by Jackytar

My husband wore a cream tuxedo on a TA, nobody commented and said it was wrong, there were two gentleman who wore cream, pink and blue tuxedos and very smart they looked.

All this tropicals waters is ridiculous, gone are those halcyon days, as long as it's formal attire on a formal night whether you're in the Tropics or the Baltic shouldn't matter,

My husband wore a cream tuxedo on a TA, nobody commented and said it was wrong, there were two gentleman who wore cream, pink and blue tuxedos and very smart they looked.

All this tropicals waters is ridiculous, gone are those halcyon days, as long as it's formal attire on a formal night whether you're in the Tropics or the Baltic shouldn't matter,

I wouldn't volunteer a comment about a pink tuxedo, but if the wearer asked me what I thought of his tuxedo I would tell him that I thought it ridiculous. And I'd try to say that with a friendly smile because he might think the same of my black-on-black bow tie, or my lay-down collar, or my non-patent leather dress boots, etc, etc.

What would you fashion experts say to a white DJ, black shirt and white bow tie?
I believe that the purpose of men's formal wear is to provide a more or less uniform and non-distracting background to the attire of our lovely ladies. Miss Manners puts it this way: "Gentlemen exhibit their taste by the exquisiteness of their tailoring, rather than by wearing ruffles or funny colors."
  • Like 1

I believe that the purpose of men's formal wear is to provide a more or less uniform and non-distracting background to the attire of our lovely ladies. Miss Manners puts it this way: "Gentlemen exhibit their taste by the exquisiteness of their tailoring, rather than by wearing ruffles or funny colors."
Or as they say around here, the Lady is the show.

What would you fashion experts say to a white DJ, black shirt and white bow tie?

My Mama taught me that only mobsters wear black dress shirts.

And I know she was right because my Uncle Dom wore one to my wedding.

My Mama taught me that only mobsters wear black dress shirts.

And I know she was right because my Uncle Dom wore one to my wedding.

Different country, different culture.

My DH wore a pink sweater when we took some of our US friends on a tour after we picked them up from a ship in Greenock. Our friends told us that a man wouldn't generally wear pink over there. There is nothing unusual about it in our country.

I'm not a fashion expert, but have seen this combination worn several times. The wearer invariably looks like a mad vicar.

Mary:D

Oh thanks... now I'm going to be thinking of "The Vicar of Dibley" for the rest of the day... :D

Oh thanks... now I'm going to be thinking of "The Vicar of Dibley" for the rest of the day... :D

she is a woman.

I would love to see you all posting photos in formal wear - really!!!

Edited by caber