Entertainment

scotslizzy

Our last cruise on the Riveria was 2 years ago and although we both agreed it was outstanding in the food department, the lack of livley entertainment at night was a real minus.

However we are thinking of coming back to Riveria for Caribbean cruise in Feb and wondered if the entertainment has been improved.

We normally sail with Celebrity as a guide and I know that the size of the Ships has a bearing on the level of entertainment that can be offered.

Can anyone who has sailed recently with Oceania offer an opinion please.

Cheers

Scotslizzy

normally we dont finish eating until 9 or 9.30 and after thr shows are finished there was very little to do except drink (no bad thing) but no real entertainment after 10.00 is this still the case ?

Thanks

Scotslizzy

The shows generally start at 9:30 or 9:45 pm in the lounge finish at 10:30pm

they have 4 productions numbers usually & the other nights are single performers

I usually did not like the production shows before but did see some of the new ones & they were good

It all depends on your personal preferences

In January they had things going on up in Horizons but there were not many participants

Each sailing is different due to the passenger demographics

Oceania does offer something after the show but you cannot force people to attend :D

Horizon's usually has something going on but folks go to bed early. However, when the Siglo band played on one of our last cruises (either Riviera Dec 2013 or Marina 2014), there was a good crowd every night dancing until the wee hours. Other times we have gone to Horizons to find no one there. As Lyn said depends on the demographics.

Perhaps they should schedule the ONLY happy hour at 10:30 p.m.

devils-advocate.jpg

I have read that the bars are packed at HH for the cheap drinks ;)

so that might just work

I must have missed those ones :rolleyes:

While it is MOST clear that the FOOD served aboard O ships is outstanding..it is equally clear that their ENTERTAINMENT offerings are consistentely lacking. Why is this so ? These are two seperate issues. Can't pasengers have the opportunity of enjoing BOTH? It sounds since yo are being served fabulous gorurmet cuisine, then you won't need to be entertained? Don't get it!

How much more costly would it be to get a troupe of young dancers/ singers [usually six in total] along with a lead male and female singer and present a few 'production' numbers on sailings? I am not talking about 'broadway quality' productions..nor am I eager to see high school performances!

I know that there are many passengers who would rather go to one of the lounges and have some drinks [ more revenue to O ] rather than attending any 'shows'..I am sure that there are equally as many passengers who would want to do it all! This is not complicated...The showroom is there.so are the lights..the sound system....SHOWTIME! :)

O has a great product, this would only involve a little more expense on their budget allowance and result in a FABULOUS experience for ALL their passengers!

Thoughts?

J

To me the food and meals are the entertainment. I make an evening out of dinner and after dinner drinks. Much better than some singer, comedian or third rate production show. Or God forbid a magician!

Plus 1

Although the 'Illusionist' on our recent cruise was good, well we thought so.:)

The ships are 'quiet ships'. If you want razzmatazz ......then 'O' is probably not for you

Edited by turnip eater

How much more costly would it be to get a troupe of young dancers/ singers [usually six in total] along with a lead male and female singer and present a few 'production' numbers on sailings? I am not talking about 'broadway quality' productions..nor am I eager to see high school performances!

Thoughts?

J

They do have a troupe of singers & dancers so not sure what you are getting at ?? :eek:

They are not Las Vegas I am sure but they were fine for an evening out

It was standing room only so I guess some people must have enjoyed the shows

Some people never attend the shows but seem to comment on how bad they are

Lyn

While it is MOST clear that the FOOD served aboard O ships is outstanding..it is equally clear that their ENTERTAINMENT offerings are consistentely lacking. Why is this so ? These are two seperate issues. Can't pasengers have the opportunity of enjoing BOTH? It sounds since yo are being served fabulous gorurmet cuisine, then you won't need to be entertained? Don't get it!

I know that there are many passengers who would rather go to one of the lounges and have some drinks [ more revenue to O ] rather than attending any 'shows'..I am sure that there are equally as many passengers who would want to do it all! This is not complicated...The showroom is there.so are the lights..the sound system....SHOWTIME! :)

O has a great product, this would only involve a little more expense on their budget allowance and result in a FABULOUS experience for ALL their passengers!

Thoughts?

J

It really doesnt matter how much the cost will be..Entertainment is NOT the focus of Oceania..I suggest you try another cruise line as Oceania after being in business 12 years has their business model set..

Jancruz1

It really doesnt matter how much the cost will be..Entertainment is NOT the focus of Oceania..I suggest you try another cruise line as Oceania after being in business 12 years has their business model set..

Jancruz1

+1

12 cruises and counting and have never been to a show. They certainly don't have to spend any of our cruise dollars on better entertainment!

Edited by orchestrapal

That's about exactly what they DO have, at least in my one-time experience on Riviera. They were really quite good, and nice to have around the ship.

I think the entertainment went up quite a (needed) lot with the hiring of an outside outfit (J. Ryan or something like that from Las Vegas) to produce a few of the 9:30 PM shows a week with singers and dancers. The Andrew Lloyd Webber and flower power shows (yes, we fall right in the demographic!) were well done. However, the comedy shows still were abysmal IMO.

Yes, about a year or so ago, Oceania hired an outside outfit (Jerrie Ryan from Las Vegas?) to put on some shows with a troupe of singers and dancers. We enjoyed those we heard both times on Riviera this year and felt it indeed was a substantial upgrade over prior years. There were four such production shows on our two ten-night cruises this year.

Edited by CintiPam

I have only been on the large ships however I felt the shows in the lounge were good, the one of entertainers were hit and miss as on all lines. My problem is I think the lounge itself is bad, poor sight lines and seats like in Grammer school. I have a hard time sitting there for the length of the show. Beside one show each night there really isn't much going on at night. NCL might change this as they have excellent shows and lots going on at night. If you do not mind a more traditional cruise try Crystal, they do both food and entertainment very well.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I saw 3 shows on our first 2 cruises and thought they were a lot of fun - but with very port intensive itineraries we tended to reserve our energy for long day time activities and were usually in bed 9.30 -10 to be up very early for sail by into the next port which IMO should never be missed.

I thought the few shows we saw were fun but I would rather go to bed early to be up early to watch the sun rise as we sail into port. Sailing towards Kotor at sun rise with the mist rolling down the mountains is a memory I will always treasure.

My husband and I are of the opinion that we can book shows any time we like at home but when cruising a new part of the world we like to take in the scenery and experience something different.

Every one has different expectations and no one cruise line will please every one on board. We are lucky that we have so many different lines to choose from. It is a matter of finding one that ticks all the boxes for you. If shows, parties and nightlife are important to you I would not choose Oceania.

Edited by jakes47