What's Your Take on Seabourn's New Ship?

Which New Features Are Most Exciting?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Which New Features Are Most Exciting?

• The larger suites (bathrooms have separate showers and tubs).
    • The marina; it's a Seabourn tradition.
    • A redesigned spa with a thalassotherapy pool and aromatic steam
    • The coffee bar -- enough said!
    • The Patio Grill, for more casual fare.
    • Expanded pool areas and a better sun deck design.
    • More variety in evening dining with Restaurant 2 and the more easy-going Verandah Cafe.

Seabourn's revealed much-awaited details about its two new-builds and the ship is clearly more evolutionary than revolutionary. In fact some of the additions -- an extra pool, additional restaurant venues -- are merely a function of its larger size.

But that's probably good news to a lot of folks who'd like to see the traditional Seabourn ambience continue, and so the lack of innovations (there appears to be no massive new space for enrichment classrooms or a poolside movie screen) may come as a relief.

Does it? Which new features are you most excited about (you can vote for more than one)?

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

CruiseCritic.com

The new ships are going to be UNBEATABLE!!! This is so very exciting! I will say that one of the most "important" improvements (not mentioned in the poll) is that there will be real private verandahs on 90% of the suites! (sweet) :)

Host Dan

The description sounds breathtaking. Dan, when I opened the link on Carolyn's post, there were deck plans, but too small to really see anything. Are they located anywhere else on the 'net? Seabourn's website, or...?

I laughed, at the poll, to see the one I voted for (the pool area re-do), was a favorite. That sure will make me happy, I love pool and sun time. I certainly hope I'll be able to cruise on one of the beautiful new Seabourn ships.

Jane ;)

Agreeing with Eric, et al:

Assuming that the quality service staff will not change (my greatest wish!), I sought out a "balcony" listing (gotta love my balcony!), so picked the cabins & the pool(s) upgrade!

Everything sounds, as Dan mentioned, "sweet"!!

Paul

>"... where guests savor multi-course dinner menus designed by acclaimed celebrity chef Charlie Palmer...'

Do you think this means we have to wait until then for a new menu or will they inplement the ones we have now?

Keeping the breadsticks and the twice baked goat cheese souffles of course.

Let me know when you plan to sail on one of these....I will book.

As mentioned earlier...the deck plans appear too small....but at first glance the layout seemed similar to the SilverSeas ships and the Regent Navigator in general layout.

In the meantime I am planning a 1st qtr 2009 Seabourn Caribbean sailing on one of the smaller ships after I get my Crystal Serenity crossing (Nov 2008)under my belt.

Happy sailings

Tom

Totally agreed! But that's not something we can evaluate until later, when we really sail the new ship...and compare the ratio of passengers to crew (which I frankly assume won't change significantly).

I have to say on one hand I was surprised about how little has changed with the new ship (save for the expected stuff -- more options, bigger suites (and bigger bathrooms). On the other hand, what's not, how do you say, "broke" don't fix it.

I absolutely loved my cruise on Legend in March and I'd be happy to go again on any one of the triplets -- even without the "improvements." And it seems that Seabourn gets that....

Carolyn

Balconies and the expanded spa and better pool/sun areas tops my list.

Of course they mean little without the superlative Seabourn service!

I have to say on one hand I was surprised about how little has changed with the new ship (save for the expected stuff -- more options, bigger suites (and bigger bathrooms). On the other hand, what's not, how do you say, "broke" don't fix it.

I absolutely loved my cruise on Legend in March and I'd be happy to go again on any one of the triplets -- even without the "improvements." And it seems that Seabourn gets that....

Carolyn

And that is exactly the point! Seabourn provides a wonderful cruise that has a great fit with high demand. It doesn't need to make big changes...a tweak here...a modification there...balconies (OK that is a big one for some)...but it still "feels" like Seabourn.

The Best is working hard to be better...not different.

In the meantime I am planning a 1st qtr 2009 Seabourn Caribbean sailing on one of the smaller ships after I get my Crystal Serenity crossing (Nov 2008)under my belt.

Hey, Tom:

I've got a deposit on the Legend crossing (April '09), but who knows? The new build will be inviting (somewhat reminiscent of the Radisson/Regent we sailed on). Might have to rob a bank, but we'll see! :D

And that is exactly the point! Seabourn provides a wonderful cruise that has a great fit with high demand. It doesn't need to make big changes...a tweak here...a modification there...balconies (OK that is a big one for some)...but it still "feels" like Seabourn.

The Best is working hard to be better...not different.

Hard to disagree with that! My sentiments, exactly! ;)

Paul

The description sounds breathtaking. Dan, when I opened the link on Carolyn's post, there were deck plans, but too small to really see anything. Are they located anywhere else on the 'net? Seabourn's website, or...?

I laughed, at the poll, to see the one I voted for (the pool area re-do), was a favorite. That sure will make me happy, I love pool and sun time. I certainly hope I'll be able to cruise on one of the beautiful new Seabourn ships.

Jane ;)

Jane--I clicked on the small picture of deck plan--it got bigger--i printed the enlarged picture--it came out good enough to get a much better idea of what it will be like--it looks great!! It appears there will be 25 suites on deck 4 with out verandas--these will probably be a good bet for single passengers! Don

Jane--I clicked on the small picture of deck plan--it got bigger--i printed the enlarged picture--it came out good enough to get a much better idea of what it will be like--it looks great!! It appears there will be 25 suites on deck 4 with out verandas--these will probably be a good bet for single passengers! Don

Don - thanks for the info - the picture was not clickable yesterday. :(

I am SO excited about the new Pool and deck area. I absolutely LOVED my Seabourn Spirit Cruise July 07 (Athens to Istanbul). Gave it high marks on everything but I was so disappointed by the tiny misplaced pool. Having just sailed on SeaDream and enjoyed so much their pool and all the social activity that took place there - it was the only downside.

I can't wait for the new ships and booked the Pride this November in the Caribbean (GREAT SALE) - just so I can be one of those who get first dibs on booking the new ship!

Hi Kate:

Good to see you are having fun. Your mention of the sociability of the SeaDream pool really prompted fun memories. That really is the hub of activities on SD. Hope the new SB ship fares as well pool wise.

Have a great summer.

Jim & Lois.

Although a firm date has not been announced, June 2009 is what has been discussed for a while. As far as where, as the ship is being built in Italy, I would venture to guess it will be a pretty unique 14 day cruise in the Med.

Brian,

The Inaugual 2009 sailing for the new Seabourn ship sold out quickly after Deborah announced it on Oct. 19th (Debbie's fatal heart attack was Sun. afternoon, Oct. 22nd) Do however call and place your name on the waitlist~~~this Maiden voyage should be most exciting, departing from Italy in June-09. Some of us booked the sailing last Oct.~~~I'm certainly looking forward to this new Seabourn ship experience! Both ships are beautiful!!

Have a good weekend!:p

There is a $4,000 deposit to be on the waitlist. There is also another level of priority based upon whether you sailed with Seabourn in 2007 or 2008. If you are interested, I would check immediately as I don't know there was much, if any, room on the waitlist as it was. Now that the announcement has been made that construction is underway I am sure there has been another spike in interest.

Archived