Cruise terminal to train station in athens

guccibaby

I'm assuming you mean the cruise terminal to the Metro station in Piraeus to get to Athens?

I consider myself a very good walker and even at that, it took me 25 minutes to walk to the Metro station. I actually timed it.

It is quite the walk, but it is on flat even surfaces.

I did the walk in the morning because I didn't want to bother with the bus, and the weather was still cool. In the afternoon when I returned, I took the bus back to the port.

If you want to walk, take the free port shuttle from the ship to the port entrance. Walk out of the port area and keep the water to your left hand side. Keep following this road all the way around the port, always keeping the water to your left.

Eventually, you'll come upon a traffic circle, and beyond that a big and busy intersection. When you hit the intersection, look to your right. You should see down the block a fairly big, silver pedestrian foot bridge that allows people to cross the street without dealing with traffic. See the picture below, this is what the bridge looks like. If you see in the picture, on the right hand side, the multi-storied yellow building, that's where the Metro is. The second picture is a better picture of the building itself.

There are automated ticket machines inside, or there is a ticket booth with a person selling tickets. The tickets are 1,00 Euro each, good for 75 minutes on a bus, train, metro, etc. Remember to validate the ticket.

Walk straight to the track and get on. The train only goes to one place. There are Metro maps once you get inside the terminal.

If you want to go to the Acropolis you can either 1) ride the train you are getting on to the Thission station, 2) ride the train you are getting on to the next stop Monistiraki, or 3) ride the train to the Omonia station and change to the red line and get off at the Akropoli station

484114120_Alisa2(168).jpg.df274dbd8ce9106fc26bfba14f7bbcdc.jpg

353687098_Alisa2(169).jpg.c8a13ae4e745e29bbcb617542e178b08.jpg

We followed instructions given by the wonderful Fafos - who is a mine of information on this site. We caught the 843 bus from the cruise terminal to the metro. I downloaded some pictures from Fafos showing exactly where to catch the bus but have done a search and can't find them. Perhaps Fafos will come on here and be able to give the link again. This link also has some really useful information as well - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1036215&highlight=

We also followed Fafos' instructions for the 843 bus. It was very easy. There are several bus stops as you walk along the road next to the water. Just look for 843 on the bus. Once on the bus we asked someone to let us know when we got to the metro station, but it was actually easy to tell because of the walkway over the road. The only problem we had was getting the bus tickets. We were off the ship shortly after 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday, and the newstands that sell the tickets weren't open yet. We had to walk for quite a while before we found a place to sell us the tickets.

Also want to mention that we used Fafos' walking tour of Athens and had a great day. It was a perfect guide for our day in Athens. Thanks, Fafos!!!!!

We were off the ship shortly after 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday, and the newstands that sell the tickets weren't open yet. We had to walk for quite a while before we found a place to sell us the tickets.

Actually we tried to buy tickets at the newstand just outside the terminal building and the one right by the bus stop but neither of them said they sold them- not a problem as you can buy them on the bus.

Actually we tried to buy tickets at the newstand just outside the terminal building and the one right by the bus stop but neither of them said they sold them- not a problem as you can buy them on the bus.

Are you certain that you can buy them on the bus? That was not our experience last fall.

• 2 weeks later...
We also followed Fafos' instructions for the 843 bus. It was very easy. There are several bus stops as you walk along the road next to the water. Just look for 843 on the bus. Once on the bus we asked someone to let us know when we got to the metro station, but it was actually easy to tell because of the walkway over the road. The only problem we had was getting the bus tickets. We were off the ship shortly after 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday, and the newstands that sell the tickets weren't open yet. We had to walk for quite a while before we found a place to sell us the tickets.

Also want to mention that we used Fafos' walking tour of Athens and had a great day. It was a perfect guide for our day in Athens. Thanks, Fafos!!!!!

Hi

By any chance do you still have a copy of the walking tour of Athens by Fafos or can you post the thread?

Many thanks

Hi

By any chance do you still have a copy of the walking tour of Athens by Fafos or can you post the thread?

Many thanks

Search function on the site is actually working fairly well today:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1032477&highlight=fafos

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=940363&highlight=walking+tour+athens+fafos&page=3

We also used Fafos' instructions and our only problem was finding tickets. We finally found them near a church after walking along the route the bus takes for about 5 minutes. Note: The 1 euro ticket is good for 75 minutes so you just need one ticket for the bus, the train and the metro (if needed) to get to your Athens destination.

Archived