Epic heading back to Miami

bled01

Sorry to hear that. Dont let it spoil your vacation. On the bright side you did not get that far from Miami. You still could make all your ports or just shorten one of them.

I hope the person/persons involved are ok. Just think of them and their family and how horrible it must be to be on such a nice vacation for tragedy to strike.

These things happen, I just hope it has a happy ending and not tragedy. If you do miss a port, the Epic is the ship to be on if you miss a port with all the on board activities.

I remember a few months ago a RCCL employee jumped overboard and was never found. The Oasis turned back in desperate attempts to try and find the person. The ship missed a port. And there were some horrible people that had no sense of humanity. Someone lost their life and people were complaing about missing a port. It is so cruel and selfish.

I hope everything turns out ok.

I am on board as well. My son and I were in the show with comedian/magician and they called a CODE ALPHA to a cabin on the 11th deck. About 15 minutes later they paged three guests (all with the same last name) to call 00 or go to customer service immediately. About 15 minutes after that the cruise director came on and said we were headed back to Miami for a medical emergency. The Captain came on about 45 minutes ago and said we will get into Miami around 11 p.m. and dock at 12:30 a.m. No word on what has happened, but hope everything will turn out OK for all involved. Captain also said all ports and itinery will stay the same and not change and that we will not get anymore announcements tonight.

Thanks for the update.

I feel for the family involved and hope everything is ok.

Glad you can keep all the ports. You only lost about 7 hours. With a change of course and a pick up in steam, it looks like the captain can make up that 7 hours.

I hope the family is OK and I hope no mass panic occurs on-board among the other passengers. I am watching her on Marinetrafic.com and she's is close to the Miami Beach coast now and is aligning herself to enter Government Cut to enter port...amazing the power of technology and the internet!!!

The ship typically cruises around 16 knots, and with a top speed of 22 knots she can easily make up this time. I just hope the affected and their family is ok. I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't call the coast guard to evacuate the person if it was a medical emergency warrantying immediate attention.

Unfortunately, it's sad.. From what I've been told it was a 21 yr old that had some kind of allergic reaction to something he ate and the end result was not a good one. The family of 6 is due to get off as soon as we dock. We're about to spin at the basin by the Herald building.

Our hearts go out to the family. What a horrible thing to happen on your vacation.

Unfortunately, it's sad.. From what I've been told it was a 21 yr old that had some kind of allergic reaction to something he ate and the end result was not a good one. The family of 6 is due to get off as soon as we dock. We're about to spin at the basin by the Herald building.

Our hearts go out to the family. What a horrible thing to happen on your vacation.

Gosh. A "horrible" outcome would explain why they needed to return to port and not airlift someone out. I hope that report is incorrect. :(

We are sitting here in Miami on the Epic wondering what is happening?

If this was just a medical emergency, why would there be so many police officers from Miami coming on board? Just saw a bunch of them on the 10th deck aft heading forward through crew passages.

Things do not add up.

I wonder if they will ever tell us what really is going on? The medical emergency story seems weak at the moment.

Wow, that is just horrible news. Very sad.

That explains why they did not need the coast guard then. It appears there was nothing anyone could have done. I guess they dont want to panic or upset people and call it a medical emergency. The story about the food reaction could be made up too.

Police and detectives will always respond like that. Even though it may not be a crime scene, they will make sure. I dont know if anyone saw the news but there are new tight rules and laws that govern cruise ships and the way they report crimes and accidents or deaths.

Horrible situation

So sorry to hear this & my prayers go out for this family.

Since someone mentioned this happened possibly due to an allergic reaction-

Just a reminder for those with food allergies:

Be very careful & don't be afraid to ask questions.

I have an allergy to shell fish & when I was on the Dawn everyone told me to try the fried rice at The Blue Lagoon. I ordered it & mentioned to the waiter about my allergy. He came back & told me that they use the shells from the shrimp to give the broth flavor when they make the rice. Another example is the stir-fry stations & sushi bars. Though I wouldn't be asking for shrimp, the person before me may have & the wok or cutting board & knife is now contaminated.

Archived