What's with the piano?

OctoberKat

The Celebrity Largest Suites have them.

They are quite nice.

You should try it/see it before you rush to judgement.

Keith

I am familiar with baby grands, they can be handsome indeed. But they are a gratuitous feature at sea unless situated in a lounge. It's an outmoded relic of 1950's ostensible sophistication.

Edited by OctoberKat

Interesting question; I doubt that the cruise lines spend much money keeping these instruments in tune, so it would seem that their purpose is mostly decorative. That's a lot of weight to carry, and a lot of space eaten up (in an environment where space is particularly limited), for decoration.

I am familiar with baby grands, they can be handsome indeed. But they are a gratuitous feature at sea unless situated in a lounge. It's an outmoded relic of 1950's ostensible sophistication.

Sorry. We had in in our suite. I thought it was quite nice. We never viewed it as a relic.

If you don't care for it, don't book a suite with it. On Celebrity most suites do not have it but a few do so there is plenty of choice.

Edited by Keith1010

Interesting question; I doubt that the cruise lines spend much money keeping these instruments in tune, so it would seem that their purpose is mostly decorative. That's a lot of weight to carry, and a lot of space eaten up (in an environment where space is particularly limited), for decoration.

The suite we were in was so large that the Piano was minuscule. It was quite nice.

Keith

cb at sea is right.

You can either play them yourself or they will play for you.

Life is short.

If you don't like them either don't book the suite that has them or ignore them.

But as someone who has been in a suite with one of the pianos it was a nice feature and it added to the look and the ambience of the suite.

And as I say often, we are not buying the suite so we go with the flow.

Keith

cb at sea is right.

You can either play them yourself or they will play for you.

Life is short.

If you don't like them either don't book the suite that has them or ignore them.

But as someone who has been in a suite with one of the pianos it was a nice feature and it added to the look and the ambience of the suite.

And as I say often, we are not buying the suite so we go with the flow.

Keith

Okie dokie, strokes and folks. It's a legitimate query and your response is legitimate input.

They are kept in tune and when you're in a suite that's 1200sqft, there's more than enough space.

Related question, what would increase poshness but not pretention in a grand suite?

For us: hot tub and day bed on very large veranda with shaded and unshaded areas; a pair of high-quality comfy chairs with hassocks for reading accompanied by great floor lamps; bath sheets (not just bath towels); flowers and plants; dimmer lights; and a cat but I know the latter won't be happening.

Why wouldn't they keep it tuned, they tune multiple other pianos on a regular basis, so what's an extra 1/2 hour to do the one in a suite.

Mostly because it's not cheap to tune a piano, and the cruise lines don't spend any money they don't have to.

The baby Grand in the suite on my ship is a player piano.

You simply insert a special DC into the machine and the piano plays whatever song you choose. We offer a wide array of CDs with many different types of music. The piano actually plays the music - rather than a recording.

We have all our pianos tuned twice a month - regardless of where they are located on the ship.

If requested, we send our piano bar pianist to the suite to play for parties, etc.

You simply insert a special DC into the machine and the piano plays whatever song you choose. We offer a wide array of CDs with many different types of music. The piano actually plays the music - rather than a recording.

We have all our pianos tuned twice a month - regardless of where they are located on the ship.

If requested, we send our piano bar pianist to the suite to play for parties, etc.

Thank you, Bruce, good to know. For me, a Bose sound system that plays CDs is preferable and requires rather less space.

Edited by OctoberKat

On our last cruise, we heard that this same thing - that if requested, they would send the piano bar pianist in to play for the Royal Suite guests (the cabin with the baby grand).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, Bruce, good to know. For me, a Bose sound system that plays CDs is preferable and requires rather less space.

That's fine. I might agree with you.

But remember that we are still talking about Mass Market here.

When Chevrolet designs a car or when a cruise line designs their product, they rarely ask what OctoberKat or BruceMuzz might prefer.

Instead they intelligently ask what 95% of the demographic that might buy that product would like.

That's why we have the piano.

Edited by BruceMuzz