Spa treatment for 6-year-old

klepton

I'll be sailing the Carnival Victory next April with DW, DD (age 6) and DMIL. I was thinking that a good Christmas present for all 3 of them might be a spa package where they could all go get their nails done together or something. Honestly I don't know what they could all do, but I'll figure that out later.

My question is, has anyone had a spa treatment for a 6 year old on a carnival ship? The FAQ on the website when asking about minimum age says:

"Once you are onboard the ship, you will have the opportunity to book a treatment from our YSPA menu for teens, a selection of services for guests between the ages of 13-17, or simply ask the Spa Manager about other treatment options for younger guests."

So looks like I'll have to wait until we board and ask the spa manager. But just wondered if anyone has ever taken one so young to the spa.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Haven't done it but I would think you can get your 6 year old a mani/pedi. I don't know this for sure, but I would think anyone younger than an adult might be restricted from spa services that require taking clothes off (like a massage/wrap/etc.)...but I wouldn't see anything wrong with nails...hopefully you can do something like that.

I could have sworn when I was on the Glory, I saw a little girl getting her nails done, couldn't have been more than 7. I think for legal reasons, they wouldn't do a massage, and for the little kids, they may not be very comfortable with a massage. But a mani/pedi shouldn't be a big deal.

Just a forewarning though, mani/pedi's on the ship are expensive. Even a polish change is a lot more expensive. If you want it done on the ship, that's your decision, I get a massage on the cruise all the time even though I can get it cheaper at home. But did you think about maybe treating them to a spa day at a local place before you go on the cruise? This way, it's something that will get them in the mood for the cruise if you do it hte day before you leave, they get to board with pretty nails, probably gotten a better mani/pedi, and you saved some money. I know you weren't asking other suggestions, but might be something to think about, so I guess your real question si that I have seen small kids getting their nails done.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I do certainly appreciate the alternative options, as I really have no idea how any of this goes. I was thinking a mani/pedi (as you all call them :)) would be good, I wasn't thinking massage so much. The problem with pre-cruise is that DMIL lives in another city and it wouldn't be convenient. I'd really like to include DMIL, as I think both DW and DD would enjoy the memory much more with DMIL there. And DMIL would really enjoy it too. She made a point to do this cruise with us so she could be with DD for her first cruise.

I could maybe look for a place in Old San Juan where they could do it the morning of departure, not sure if that would be any cheaper though.

According to Carnivalwiki.com, mani/pedi looks to be $65/pp for both services. I would assume if they would take a 6-year-old that the price would be the same, or possibly cheaper, but definitely not more. I guess that's not the end of the world. I just wish I could have it booked and promised by christmas time rather than being an unknown until sailing.

Well, thanks again for everyone's help!

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I do certainly appreciate the alternative options, as I really have no idea how any of this goes. I was thinking a mani/pedi (as you all call them :)) would be good, I wasn't thinking massage so much. The problem with pre-cruise is that DMIL lives in another city and it wouldn't be convenient. I'd really like to include DMIL, as I think both DW and DD would enjoy the memory much more with DMIL there. And DMIL would really enjoy it too. She made a point to do this cruise with us so she could be with DD for her first cruise.

I could maybe look for a place in Old San Juan where they could do it the morning of departure, not sure if that would be any cheaper though.

According to Carnivalwiki.com, mani/pedi looks to be $65/pp for both services. I would assume if they would take a 6-year-old that the price would be the same, or possibly cheaper, but definitely not more. I guess that's not the end of the world. I just wish I could have it booked and promised by christmas time rather than being an unknown until sailing.

Well, thanks again for everyone's help!

I just checked their website and it is 45.00 for a manicure and 65.00 for a pedicure. For your little girl you would just get a polish change for her nails and toes as pedicures can hurt a little and I don't think she'd enjoy it, nor would she likely want to sit still for so long. You will pay about 40.00 for her.

To get to the spa menu go to your booked reservation, click on plan activities - Spa Carnival will be one of the choices that comes up. Click that, then click reserve now, and use the drop down list to select the preferred type (ie massage, nail services etc). That will give you details about each spa treatment and the prices. You can just browse or you can book.

You sould like such a nice man looking after all the ladies in your family. They will have a great time.

I know the spa offers a "Princess Party" for young girls, so I am sure they have some services that they can offer for your daughter. What a fun Christmas gift idea! Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! Do you have any more info on these princess parties? I tried a google search but couldn't find anything.

To get to the spa menu go to your booked reservation, click on plan activities - Spa Carnival will be one of the choices that comes up. Click that, then click reserve now, and use the drop down list to select the preferred type (ie massage, nail services etc). That will give you details about each spa treatment and the prices. You can just browse or you can book.

Thanks! I scoured their website looking for these prices and came up empty handed. I never thought to actually login and take a look. :)

You sould like such a nice man looking after all the ladies in your family. They will have a great time.

It's purely selfish... getting them all occupied somewhere else will give me a chance to enjoy my balcony in peace. :D:D:D

I just checked their website and it is 45.00 for a manicure and 65.00 for a pedicure. For your little girl you would just get a polish change for her nails and toes as pedicures can hurt a little and I don't think she'd enjoy it, nor would she likely want to sit still for so long. You will pay about 40.00 for her.

My 6 year old loves pedicures...of course they don't do as much on little girls as adults (like cuticle trims and stuff like that)...but you should ask them if they would give you a mini-pedi or something like that for your DD, since she really wouldn't need the full pedi but would get more than just a polish change...couldn't hurt to ask the spa manager once you get on board.

You could also get them a hair style in the salon for elegant night. I was thinking of doing that with my DD-11 on our cruise in a few days. I just logged into my cruise manager on CCL website and tried to book the salon visit. It said you can't book online when you are within 7 days of your cruise date. Can someone look through their cruise manager and tell me what getting your hair styled costs? Thanks.

I would ask Mary or Mischelle on the Carnival forum (Carnival website) "looking for Carnival assistance" to see what could be done for your DD and maybe they could also help you pre-book your appointments. I know they have been very helpful to me with my questions and to others as well :). And if not, it doesn't hurt to ask....

Hope this helps!

Talli

The Pride had a sign up sheet in the spa for an ice cream - mani/pedi party. The party took place in camp carnival and all of the polish smelled like chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. They danced and snacked and had a blast. My daughter loved it and it was $20 -$30. Go to the spa and ask if they are doing anything like that.

You could also get them a hair style in the salon for elegant night. I was thinking of doing that with my DD-11 on our cruise in a few days. I just logged into my cruise manager on CCL website and tried to book the salon visit. It said you can't book online when you are within 7 days of your cruise date. Can someone look through their cruise manager and tell me what getting your hair styled costs? Thanks.

My hairstyle on elegant night was $90 (plus tip)...kept it in for about 4 hours and washed it out...looked nice but took a lot of time and in the end, not worth it, could have done something nice myself and save that for something else...

Getting a manicure, and hair done is fine. I would definitely have concerns over massages for a child under 12 or anything other "spa" treatment where they remove their clothes. A teen is well aware of "boundary issues" with people and personally I think it is confusing to teach good touch/bad touch issues to a child under 12 getting a massage. Keep the undress issues to "doctor visits" until she is old enough to understand the process.

My hairstyle on elegant night was $90 (plus tip)...kept it in for about 4 hours and washed it out...looked nice but took a lot of time and in the end, not worth it, could have done something nice myself and save that for something else...

:eek: Holy cow, that's expensive. Nevermind! Will bring my flat iron and hope it makes it to my cabin.

After seeing the prices of the updos in the spa on our first cruise, and the time involved, I learned to cheat. For the cost of 1 updo on the ship, I bought a bunch of pretty curls that match my hair. Since we like to dress for elegant night but, I don't want the expense or taking of that much time, the hair goes up in a ponytail and I braid it to make a nice covering for the rubber band and I pin the mass of curls on it.....takes five minutes and I look like I spent the last couple of hours in the spa.:p In reality, 30 minutes earlier, I was in the pool. Best money I ever spent!

Archived