Pinnacle Class Preview?

InTheWASide

It obviously has only been a short time since the Pinnacle Class was announced (and if anyone noticed, it was never called such in any of the press releases... I mentioned it and for once there wasn't a bunch of bickering... it was just accepted and people moved on... well done :)). Anyway, I think I have an idea of what this ship will look like.

Keep a couple of things in mind.

1) Carnival Corp likes to make a design and use it for a long time. Every ship/ship class being a unique piece of architecture isn't really the "mold" they try to operate by.

2) Princess' Royal and Regal Princess are WAY too big for the announcement. Press release said 99000 tons and 2600 pax. Royal/Regal are 141000 and 3600 pax. That's more than just a minor redesign.

3) At the same time though, you can see that between Royal/Regal and the yet to be named P&O ship, there's a new design they seem to be moving toward.

So could these images of TUI's new ship (recognize the funnel design? It's the same as Thomson... the line where the former Westerdam, Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam all are now use)... so would it be that shocking that there's a bit of cooperative effort in terms of ship design so long as they don't directly compete? And as a German line this would hardly compete with "Nieuw Statendam/Veendam".

The only piece I hve a hard time with is whether or not as a project of STX this design could get moved to Fincantieri or not... but I know that the SPirit/Vista class was moved around and built in multiple yards, so maybe that's not an issue after all.

The hull color is even already set correctly, and the lack of an aft pool in place of two at midship already alleviates one major battle (right?)

Mein-Schiff-3-Modell.jpg

Mein-Schiff-3.jpg

11504-STX-MEIN-SCHIFF-3-247.jpg

Before anyone gets too excited though that perhaps this design is just being transferred to HAL (they are both due out in 2015 as well by the way besides having near identical tonnage and guest counts) TUI has released newer artwork showing this ship as "Mein Schiff 3" with the recognizeable cursive/calligraphy hull design on the former Celebrity ships that make up Mein Schiff 1 and Mein Schiff 2

din_a6_ausschnitt_meinschiff3_web.jpg

It obviously has only been a short time since the Pinnacle Class was announced (and if anyone noticed, it was never called such in any of the press releases... I mentioned it and for once there wasn't a bunch of bickering... it was just accepted and people moved on... well done :)). Anyway, I think I have an idea of what this ship will look like.

1) Carnival Corp likes to make a design and use it for a long time. Every ship/ship class being a unique piece of architecture isn't really the "mold" they try to operate by.

2) Princess' Royal and Regal Princess are WAY too big for the announcement. Press release said 99000 tons and 2600 pax. Royal/Regal are 141000 and 3600 pax. That's more than just a minor redesign.

3) At the same time though, you can see that between Royal/Regal and the yet to be named P&O ship, there's a new design they seem to be moving toward.

So could these images of TUI's new ship (recognize the funnel design? It's the same as Thomson... the line where the former Westerdam, Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam all are now use)... so would it be that shocking that there's a bit of cooperative effort in terms of ship design so long as they don't directly compete? And as a German line this would hardly compete with "Nieuw Statendam/Veendam".

The only piece I hve a hard time with is whether or not as a project of STX this design could get moved to Fincantieri or not... but I know that the SPirit/Vista class was moved around and built in multiple yards, so maybe that's not an issue after all.

The hull color is even already set correctly, and the lack of an aft pool in place of two at midship already alleviates one major battle (right?)

Mein-Schiff-3-Modell.jpg

Mein-Schiff-3.jpg

Before anyone gets too excited though that perhaps this design is just being transferred to HAL (they are both due out in 2015 as well by the way besides having near identical tonnage and guest counts) TUI has released newer artwork showing this ship as "Mein Schiff 3" with the recognizeable cursive/calligraphy hull design on the former Celebrity ships that make up Mein Schiff 1 and Mein Schiff 2

Unless I am mistaken, TUI has nothing to do with HAL and in fact, has more often been associated with RCI. In fact, I'm not sure if RCI still owns part of Mein Schiff I and II.

As others have stated, the new ship is only 10% bigger than the Signature Class ships. I think we should think "evolutionary" as opposed to "revolutionary".

As others have stated, the new ship is only 10% bigger than the Signature Class ships. I think we should think "evolutionary" as opposed to "revolutionary".

I expect that it will have the 160 ft (IIRC) beam limit of the new Panama Canal locks nearing completion rather than the 106 ft limit right now, which could allow some big departures from current deck plans.

I like the look of this ship and with the dark hull looks quite good ;) But it looks a lot like a Solstice Class which leans toward the RCCI family.

I personally was hoping for the larger/wider hull which would open up some new design for HAL but since it is just 10% larger my guess they will be slapping on a few more decks on top of the Vista/Signature Class and calling it an entirely NEW Ship. I honestly would be shocked they make any drastic changes.

Agreed. The Spirit/Vista/Signature platform has already been pushed to > 92,000 GT for other lines.

I personally was hoping for the larger/wider hull which would open up some new design for HAL but since it is just 10% larger my guess they will be slapping on a few more decks on top of the Vista/Signature Class and calling it an entirely NEW Ship. I honestly would be shocked they make any drastic changes.

I sure hope not, otherwise we will have to call it the "rock and roll" ship. A wider beam would make for a more stable ship.

If anyone wants to simulate the new ship, just pack a bunch of people tightly in a room. That would be the the Lido. Now tell them to start pushing and shoving. That would be disembarkation.

igraf

...my guess they will be slapping on a few more decks on top of the Vista/Signature Class and calling it an entirely NEW Ship. ...

• 2 months later...

Mein-Schiff-3-Modell.jpg

Mein-Schiff-3.jpg

Im not sure why you think that HAL's new ship will share any resemblance to the new TUI new build or that they will share a design. They are two separate lines

owned and operated by two separate companies. HAL is owned by Carnival Corp. and TUI by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. It would be as if Carnival used the

blueprints from the oasis class to build their new build. Not going to happen.

Mein-Schiff-3-Modell.jpg

Im not sure why you think that HAL's new ship will share any resemblance to the new TUI new build or that they will share a design. They are two separate lines owned and operated by two separate companies..

I came upon an interesting bit of info today which could explain it? :rolleyes:

Fincantieri completes its acquisition of STX OSV

JANUARY 23, 2013 — Fincantieri reports that wholly owned subsidiary Fincantieri Oil & Gas S.p.A., has successfully completed the acquisition of 50.75 percent of STX OSV from STX Europe,at a price of SGD 1.22 per share, totaling approximately Euro 455 million (approximately SGD 730 million).

In compliance with the rules of the Singapore Code on Take-overs and Mergers, Fincantieri Oil & Gas S.p.A. has also announced its firm intention to make a mandatory unconditional cash offer for the remaining shares at a price of SGD 1.22 per share. The offer must be kept open for a minimum of 28 days from the date on which the offer document which sets out the terms and conditions of the mandatory unconditional general offer is dispatched by Fincantieri Oil & Gas S.p.A., which is expected to occur within the next two or three weeks.

The total value of the transaction, including both the acquisition of the 50.75 percent stake and the mandatory unconditional cash offer, will amount to approximately Euro 900 million (approximately SGD 1,450 million). It will be financed mainly from Fincantieri's internal resources and with a syndicate loan provided by a pool of banks (Banca IMI, BNP Paribas - Italian branch, Carige, Unicredit) and by Cassa Depositi e Prestiti as a lender guaranteed by SACE.

This acquisition marks Fincantieri's entry into a market segment complementary to its current ones. With 21 shipyards in 3 different continents, nearly 20,000 employees and revenues of Euro 4 billion, Fincantieri Group will double its size to become the fifth largest shipbuilder worldwide behind four Korean peers, and the only Western producer capable of competing with the Asian giants thanks to its diversification and presence in all of the high value added segments.

STX OSV, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange and a world leader in the construction of offshore support vessels for oil and gas extraction and production, has approximately 9,200 employees and 10 shipyards around the world (five in Norway, two in Romania, one in Vietnam and two in Brazil, of which one is currently under construction). In the past three years it has generated average revenues of approximately Euro 1.6 billion and EBITDA of approximately Euro 190 million. At the end of the 2012 third quarter its order backlog was Euro 2.1 billion.

It dosen't seem like your concepts match previous HAL design themes like a promanade deck you can actually walk around and HAL has not been into verticality like RCI and NCL I think some pictures will leak out soon

It should be wider to utilize the expanded Panama Canal but I would be surprised if it had 7 indentical decks from front to back like these designs do.

I came upon an interesting bit of info today which could explain it? :rolleyes:

Fincantieri completes its acquisition of STX OSV

STX OSV, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange and a world leader in the construction of offshore support vessels for oil and gas extraction and production, has approximately 9,200 employees and 10 shipyards around the world (five in Norway, two in Romania, one in Vietnam and two in Brazil, of which one is currently under construction). In the past three years it has generated average revenues of approximately Euro 1.6 billion and EBITDA of approximately Euro 190 million. At the end of the 2012 third quarter its order backlog was Euro 2.1 billion.

By my understanding, Fincantieri is not buying the passenger cruise ship division of STX, and instead is only buying the portion of their business related to smaller ships used to support oil/gas drilling, wells, rigs, etc. So, this isn't related to cruise ships.

I'm eager to see the first 'leaked' drawings. Wonder what changes there will be.

If nothing else, I hope they make the passage between Lido serving stations and the first row of tables at leat a little wider. It is so hard trying to pass through.

Based on the only small incremental increase in size (10%) I really don't see HAL building anything other than a slightly larger Signature class. Perhaps a hull that is little wider and a little longer and maybe one more deck. HAL seems to have taken great effort to keep their new builds over the last 10 years very consistent. Somehow, I don't see that changing, but I really have no clue.

I like the look of this ship and with the dark hull looks quite good ;) But it looks a lot like a Solstice Class which leans toward the RCCI family.

I would think it will be different from the Signature Class due to the new SOLAS regulations whereby newly ordered ships have to incorporate extra safety features. Not related to the Costa Concordia as they were devised before that incident.

Yeah - foolproof plumbing and a/c, and nothing silly and un-HAL-like such as rock climbing or surf pools. That water slide on Disney does, however, look like a lot of fun. I wonder if that could be discreetly blended into the overall HAL design. Would be a nod in the direction of HAL's stated new demographic. Maybe they could even have enough room to bring back trays in the Lido!

I would think it will be different from the Signature Class due to the new SOLAS regulations whereby newly ordered ships have to incorporate extra safety features. Not related to the Costa Concordia as they were devised before that incident.
I'm not sure how the new SOLAS regulations would have an impact on the "appearance" of the ship. Seems to me that the new regulations are geared toward making the ship more survivable in the event of a casualty, providing back up propulsion systems, advanced fire detection and prevention measures, evacuation routes and other internal safety features. I'm not sure how any of this would prevent the new ships from being very similar to the newest Signature ships.

I just disembarked the Eurodam on Saturday. During the Q&A with the captain, chief engineer and hotel manager, the new Pinnacle Class ship was discussed. It will be a complete departure from the current HAL layout and will have a double hull as new regulations will require. Was also told that the S class ships are for sale.

I just disembarked the Eurodam on Saturday. During the Q&A with the captain, chief engineer and hotel manager, the new Pinnacle Class ship was discussed. It will be a complete departure from the current HAL layout and will have a double hull as new regulations will require. Was also told that the S class ships are for sale.

First, what the S classes going for? Lemme scrounge up my loose change! :rolleyes: How hard can it be to run a corporation like that? I know how to vertically stack myself to "not" make $ and get more tax $ back than paid in. ;)

As far as the new design, I'm very excited to see how HAL brings their trademark into the "modern" era of cruising. When the Pinnacle class was discussed during our Westy cruise in Oct '12 a lot of folks grumbled about another large ship, but reality is that small ship cruising is going to be a niche market in the 21st century.

I have no doubts that HAL will continue their "brand" on the modern scale.

Derek

I'm very excited to learn there will be new design to Pinnacle ships. Can't wait to see some drawings/renderings.

It isn't 'new' news :) that the "S" ships are all for sale. That has been common knowledge for a while. Hopefully they'll hold onto Maasdam the longest. JMO..

I'm very excited to learn there will be new design to Pinnacle ships. Can't wait to see some drawings/renderings.

It isn't 'new' news :) that the "S" ships are all for sale. That has been common knowledge for a while. Hopefully they'll hold onto Maasdam the longest. JMO..

Yes, I agree. As much as I think HAL will stick with their traditional design and layout, I'm happy to hear there is talk about them doing something different. I know a lot of people don't want HAL to change, but they have to change to meet the demands of the changing market and appeal to younger cruisers. There is no reason they cannot maintain all the things that make us like them on a modern ship with an updated design.

Archived