Apple products

Cockatoos

Looks like I will pick up an iPad Air in November given its US prices. Hopefully the iPad air 3 will be released in October as usual and the cruise ship gets it in stock the same time as a U.S. store. Think that's going to be a first day purchase given it should be stocked up sailing out of Miami.

Stocks and supplies of various Apple products on board can be very hit or miss. I was on a 16 day itinerary and there were no iPad Mini options to choose. The iPad Air 2 was available, but only as a 16G storage option. I had friends on the previous leg of the cruise that were doing a B2B2B and they were told then that it was most likely not going to receive a restock in Europe prior to getting to Fort Lauderdale. This was disappointing to hear as we would have been more likely to have bought more items on the ship had they properly restocked for a fresh new set of cruise passengers. I'm guessing there were "circumstances" for why they couldn't provide a full range of products, but Celebrity did lose out on more revenue for not having those products available for sale.

I would not even hold out the slightest of hopes that a newly issued device will find its way to the ships same day as the rest of the country.

Also, I've determined that often the items for sale tend to be the "starting" point of items, lowest RAM, smallest storage, etc.

I have a friend that works for Apple and have texted him photos of the prices and included options, and he's let me know I can get for same price on land, and let me know of the low-endedness of the specifications of the machines sold.

Also, some have stated you save taxes and duty free, but do be aware that the ship provides a list to Customs agents for anyone who spends more than some amount, I think $400, on board, so if you go thru Customs without declaring the items, they will take you aside and ensure the duty is levied, so duty savings are not really of any concern end of the day if disembarking in a US port.

And as others have said, selection and inventory is spotty and hit or miss at best.

I would not even hold out the slightest of hopes that a newly issued device will find its way to the ships same day as the rest of the country.

Also, I've determined that often the items for sale tend to be the "starting" point of items, lowest RAM, smallest storage, etc.

I have a friend that works for Apple and have texted him photos of the prices and included options, and he's let me know I can get for same price on land, and let me know of the low-endedness of the specifications of the machines sold.

Also, some have stated you save taxes and duty free, but do be aware that the ship provides a list to Customs agents for anyone who spends more than some amount, I think $400, on board, so if you go thru Customs without declaring the items, they will take you aside and ensure the duty is levied, so duty savings are not really of any concern end of the day if disembarking in a US port.

And as others have said, selection and inventory is spotty and hit or miss at best.

We will be on the cruise probably up to a month after the general release of the IPad Air 3, custome is not an issue for us as we don't bring back anything and I think the limit before declaration in the UK is around £400 per person, and iPad air comes in at around £370.

I wonder if the Millennium will have iPads for sale. Do they typically? We have a decent amount of OBC, and I would love to buy one when we cruise Alaska in June. I really don't care about RAM or storage. I'd just be happy to have one.

Know your prices at home..USA or UK...for the US you save salestax....That being said I bought an Ipad a few years ago on a RCl ship, guy in the shop assured me it was the best price.... When I got home I found the same Ipad at Target for $5 less and they were giving a $40 target gift card with purchase. Even with NY sales tax I would have been ahead of the game and had the case to boot.

When I purchased mine the guy was nice but no classes or free minutes to set up and "play"...now they offer some classes for Apple Items and give 30 free minutes...

On the Silhouette last fall they had a series of classes including one just on the ISO 8 operating system...nice way to spend and hour or so on a seaday...picked up some great tips...

Edited by seastar2

To date I have bought 2 iPads on Celebrity ships at different times and can answer several of the op' s questions.

1. Don't expect the ship to have delivery at the same time as shore based shops! It is usually months later.

2. Stock is very limited. So, choice is normally limited.

3. BUT, if you live outside the U.S.A., Apple products are cheaper because the retail price abroad is higher. So, you have the benefit of lower US prices! If I lived in America, then I would probably buy there.

I have always found something to suit my needs. Although it might not be my first choice in colour or capacity. :D

Edited by Solon
Mistake

We bought an iPad Mini on Reflection last Summer to use up some obc and we paid the same in $$ as we would have done in ££ in UK - so definitely saved £££ :D

Didn't buy a case/cover at the time though as they were very, very expensive onboard !!!

We bought an iPad Mini on Reflection last Summer to use up some obc and we paid the same in $$ as we would have done in ££ in UK - so definitely saved £££ !

My husband bought 32GB as there wasn't a 16gGB available, although there was a 64GB mini available.

He has no problem with storage, whereas I do with my 16GB, as I take a lot of photos and have had to buy extra iCloud storage. It is also difficult to upgrade (ISO 8.1.1) as either I have to take apps off, or do it via iTunes. I too am hoping to buy either a mini or Air2 with OBC on my next cruise, so the customs limit of £400 needs to be kept in mind. Thanks

I wonder if the Millennium will have iPads for sale. Do they typically? We have a decent amount of OBC, and I would love to buy one when we cruise Alaska in June. I really don't care about RAM or storage. I'd just be happy to have one.

I think it's only Century that doesn't have the iPad 'shop', but she is leaving the fleet in April.

Edited by upwarduk

To date I have bought 2 iPads on Celebrity ships at different times and can answer several of the op' s questions.

1. Don't expect the ship to have delivery at the same time as shore based shops! It is usually months later.

2. Stock is very limited. So, choice is normally limited.

3. BUT, if you live outside the U.S.A., Apple products are cheaper because the retail price abroad is higher. So, you have the benefit of lower US prices! If I lived in America, then I would probably buy there.

I have always found something to suit my needs. Although it might not be my first choice in colour or capacity. :D

If it's months later that probably would not work for us in November, I would not purchase an iPad 2 on the ship when an ipad 3 had been released a month earlier. I can't see many paying full price on board for the older model although Apple will probably cut the price as they usually do and the ship may follow suit.

Thinking about it we are spending Two days in Miami pre cruise and one night post cruise, we might be better just purchasing there.

Edited by yorky

While some of what you say is true, one should keep in mind that the OP is from Australia and folks from many other countries do quite well getting Apple Products onboard. And as to US Customs regulations, not sure what $400 has to do with anything as the current duty free allowance is $800 per person (couples can combine this for a $1600 allowance). And even if you go over the allowance there is only a flat 3% on the next $1000...and we have found that CBP will often allow small overages since its not worth the paperwork to collect a few dollars.

Hank

If it's months later that probably would not work for us in November, I would not purchase an iPad 2 on the ship when an ipad 3 had been released a month earlier. I can't see many paying full price on board for the older model although Apple will probably cut the price as they usually do and the ship may follow suit.

Thinking about it we are spending Two days in Miami pre cruise and one night post cruise, we might be better just purchasing there.

Buying pre-post cruise is a much better idea if the USA prices provide a savings. The only price difference from the ship would be the sales tax (I believe this is 6% in the county where Port Everglades is located and 7% where Miami is) and the cost of transportation to/from a store that sells these. Nearly every mass merchant and electronics/appliance store sells these and there are several Apple stores around Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Generally the mass merchant stores have a slimmer selection depending on the store.

Also, if you buy before/after your cruise you'll be able to set it up using wifi at your hotel or a coffee shop. At an Apple Store the sales associate would probably help you set it up on the spot. The only negative for you would be that the battery charger will have an American style plug.

Edited by Lsimon

Buying pre-post cruise is a much better idea if the USA prices provide a savings. The only price difference from the ship would be the sales tax (I believe this is 6% in the county where Port Everglades is located and 7% where Miami is) and the cost of transportation to/from a store that sells these. Nearly every mass merchant and electronics/appliance store sells these and there are several Apple stores around Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Generally the mass merchant stores have a slimmer selection depending on the store.

Also, if you buy before/after your cruise you'll be able to set it up using wifi at your hotel or a coffee shop. At an Apple Store the sales associate would probably help you set it up on the spot. The only negative for you would be that the battery charger will have an American style plug.

It does make sense in many ways, big problem will probably be the customs allowance in the UK is £390. The iPad air 2 64g without tax is $599, around £388 so all good if purchased onboard. Purchased on land with the sales tax added it's above the limit and you then pay tax on the whole amount in the UK.

It does make sense in many ways, big problem will probably be the customs allowance in the UK is £390. The iPad air 2 64g without tax is $599, around £388 so all good if purchased onboard. Purchased on land with the sales tax added it's above the limit and you then pay tax on the whole amount in the UK.

How much would you save compared with uk price?

How much would you save compared with uk price?

Converted to pounds

U.S. price around £356/£388 depending where you buy.

UK price £479

It's a worldwide guarantee so if you are in the market for a new iPad it's a decent saving.

Edited by yorky

Brilliant. Why didn't I ever think to use OBC to make this kind of purchase on the ship. Guess it's because I never look at the merchandise they have for sale because I never buy anything.

Thanks for the good tip

Marion

Converted to pounds

U.S. price around £356/£388 depending where you buy.

UK price £479

It's a worldwide guarantee so if you are in the market for a new iPad it's a decent saving.

Eg of price on board:$479

Similar price in UK shops £479

With the conversion, this amounts to a considerable saving.

It does make sense in many ways, big problem will probably be the customs allowance in the UK is £390. The iPad air 2 64g without tax is $599, around £388 so all good if purchased onboard.

Looks as though I'll be going for the iPad Air2 64GB purchased on the ship then.

Edited by upwarduk