New chair hog policy on carnival wish RCL would follow

Just posted on facebook...

Let’s talk everyone’s favourite subject. No, not my hemorrhoids……………seat saving. It has been a subject discussed over and over again and it has been so because it continues to be a concern. But now is not the time to dwell in the past but in the future and that future is today. The Carnival Breeze is the test ship for a new commitment to stopping this and we started today.

As you can see, this screen shot was sent to every cabin TV. The same announcement was made by me three times a day and live on the morning show. It was also placed on the Seaside Theatre Big Screen. So the message is loud and clear.

We went with 4o minutes as we felt that this was a fair amount of time if guests get up to eat, drink, pee, swim or slide.

The big difference here is that we are now staffed and able to police this. Our crew will walk the decks and if they see a chair unused but saved with towels, books, shoes, baby Yaks or underpants they will place a sticker on the chair with the current time. Then, they will check 40 minutes later and if the chair is still reserved and unoccupied then they will remove the articles and take them to the towel station by the main pool making sure a note is left for the guests that they have done so.

This is step number one in a new drive to make this work and once we finish the test here this cruise and next, we will make adjustments and then add to the rest of the fleet. It has been noted by the beards who read this page how important this was to you and I have pushed hard to the most senior beards to get this done and my thanks to them for listening and acting.

The comments here are fantastic and guests truly appreciate the effort and it has really, absolutely made a difference. We still have work to do but we are on the right path and I would like to thanks Marcin our Housekeeping manager and Pierre the Hotel Director and all the wonderful deck staff who are making this work.

Comments please.

Might be a good idea.

Our recent AOS trip we were amazed at people reserving loungers in the sun and in the shaded area. Then going off for breakfast for 2 hrs. Returning to spend some time in the sun maybe for an hr or so. Only then to move to thier shaded loungers.

Did they give up the sunny seats? of course not.

Cracked me up to watch the games they were all playing.

I always thought that if you are caught "chair hogging" that said chair should be strapped to your rear end and you be forced to wear that chosen chair around the ship for the remainder of the cruise. I haven't worked out the elevator situation yet but I'm working on it.;):D

We are always able to find chairs, even on busy sea days.

You just need to walk around and keep an eye out for people coming and going.

Keep asking, it never took more than 10 minutes...

I know I shouldn't be encouraging you,,,, but:

Why the heck should I spend even 10 minutes of my vacation looking for a lounge chair so some jerk can get an extra hour of sleep?

Love this. It is unbelievable the amount of chairs that are saved for the majority of the day without use. We are very happy to hear that they are going to finally support their own policy.

I have never seen the deck crew enforce the "no chair hogging" rule but it would be a welcome change. From what I've seen most of the hogging is done early in the morning. All it would take to alleviate the problem would be a few sweeps between 8 AM and 11 AM.

We are always able to find chairs, even on busy sea days.

You just need to walk around and keep an eye out for people coming and going.

Keep asking, it never took more than 10 minutes...

Lucky you. Those circumstances that you encountered aren't universal and certainly don't result in obtaining a chair in what may be the desired location or quantity for a group.

I always thought that if you are caught "chair hogging" that said chair should be strapped to your rear end and you be forced to wear that chosen chair around the ship for the remainder of the cruise. I haven't worked out the elevator situation yet but I'm working on it.;):D

Love it! I think we should figure it out. But how would this work if the saved chairs are the theater seats? ;)

I AM totally against chair hogs, but what about if 1 chair is holding 4 pairs of shoes, 4 towels, and I am in the pool with the grandchildren? Where can I place my stuff? in the middle of the deck? I hate when I see a family go and put all their stuff on several chairs (knowing the kids will never sit!), but I do need somewhere to place our things. I AM a big advocate for these types of rules, I'm actually spending time at a timeshare this week and boy was I made about the number of towels spread out. But what does a family do with their stuff? go back after 40 minutes, sit for a few minutes then back to the pool? try explaining that to a 3 and 4 year old!

Brilliant! As long as they keep the rules enforced. Witnessed a very large family (20+) on Pride of America hog the front two rows at the pool. They would disappear for hours and only used the loungers in penny numbers, maybe 2 then 3, they'd go and maybe ma n pa came along .....you get the picture, you've seen it.

Good luck. I hope it's in use on the Allure......sailing Sunday:D

Would love to see all the cruiselines adopt this policy...I hate it when some selfish people think they are more important than everyone else.

Here here! I couldn't agree more (okay, it's redundant). And, yes, let's add the theatre seat saving as well. Too many times we've seen one person sitting nervously, looking around and telling anyone who tries to sit in that HALF OF AN ENTIRE ROW that those seats are saved and never saw anyone from the cruise line stop it. Ridiculous

Last year on the Oasis they were doing this in the solarium but I think they only gave you 20 minutes

Hey we sailed on the Explorer together this past April hope all is well.

Archived