Lynn Valley suspension bridge

Be careful using the Google planner for Lynn Canyon, as Google has programmed some trails without bothering to factor in that the route is steep & difficult! e.g. xlxo's route has you getting off at a secondary entrance to the park which involves walking down part of the Baden-Powell trail - a very steep, poorly-signed, gravel & dirt part which if you make a wrong turn on will have you heading off into the wilds instead of towards the bridge, ecology centre etc. I have friends who are moderately-experienced hikers who ended up walking an extra four hours in Lynn Canyon because of a missed turn - on your first time I strongly suggest not taking the B-P trail!

You actually want to use the 227 if possible, not the 228 or 210, as this goes almost right past the main entrance to Lynn Canyon park. The closest stop is Peters Rd at Duval - using 'Peters Rd & Park Rd' or the actual bus stop number (54239) as the end point should always get you in at the right part of the park to access the bridge on level, easily-followed paths.

The fastest way on transit is the 19/255/227 combo, which is only 45minutes including connections - here's a link to an arbitrarily-chosen July weekday morning route on Translink or the same route using Google Maps directly (translink uses them behind-the-scenes anyway, but they use slightly-different route timings, e.g. in this case Google thinks you'll miss the short 2 minute transfer at Phibbs so slots in an extra 20 mins waiting for the next 227, Translink thinks 2 mins is enough to walk between bay 3 & 7 at the same station...).

martincath gave excellent information. I lived on Peters Road for a while and if you like hiking this is the place to be. BUT like he said, please be careful.

Good heavens....did you happen to go to Argyle when you weren't leaping the fence at the CSB?

While it is a little more convoluted and I know the "trip planner" doesn't detail it but I find it unfortunate that the fastest way to get to the LVSB is thru the seedy east side of Vancouver and who might be on the bus. I would prefer to take a bus heading west, over the Lions Gate Bridge or take the Sea Bus to Lonsdale Quay then transfer to a bus.

Should OP share PDs sensibilities and wish to minimize extra time spent on transit while maximizing scenicness of route, crossing to the other side of Georgia and hopping on the westbound 240 at 8:57am through Stanley Park and over Lions Gate dovetails nicely into boarding the 255 and 227.

At only five minutes longer than via East Van it's much more efficient than the Seabus while still avoiding the more industrial and poorer parts of Vancouver. Frankly though the 210 through East Van (I miswrote 255 in my last post, apologies) isn't a scary bus; biggest issue in this area was enterprising locals collecting cans & bottles for the return fees using buses along the Hastings corridor to reach the bottle bank. Since it relocated to off Terminal a couple of years back you won't find large bags of clinky & potentially stinky bottles taking up seats on the 210 any more.

If you're a fan of breweries and quirky restaurants, East Van is where it's at - especially around Powell/Commercial Drive, where an array of microbreweries and new restaurants are racking up plaudits.

Just noticed today while reading the "buzzer" Translinks info newsletter about there summer changes it indicated that there is a bus starting today and running through to September that will take you right to the entrance to Lynn Canyon Park - you catch the bus at the Lynn Valley Center which I believe is located at Mountain highway and Lynn Valley Road.

Will see if I can find the route number.

Appears to be only a weekend and holiday service and only running from around noon to 7 PM - it is an extension of the #227 Lynn Valley/Phibbs exchange service.

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

I am the first to admit that I am not a frequent transit user and never was. However, my point was that that eastern transit route does not show Vancouver in it's best light and bottles returns aside going through that area you never know who is going to get on. Is it scary, probably not....but it does carry people who sadly suffer from mental illness, drunks, and people who have other substance use problems. The scene is not always pretty and some of the antics of the passengers are not what some people like to see, personally speaking, I would prefer not to see it if I can avoid it.

UT, good call on the LCSB service. Lynn Valley Centre has expanded a great deal in recent years and is rather triangular in shape but it's primary frontage is on Lynn Valley Road so it will be interesting in what you come up with.

Actually the only reason I noticed that bus change was because I opted to take transit out to UBC to work my FIFA shift today rather than worrying about finding a security person to give me a input code so I could park on the street near the practice field and saw a copy of the Buzzer.

Yes the Lynn Valley Center has become a lot more of hub than it use to be.

Cheers!

Dennis

Just noticed today while reading the "buzzer" Translinks info newsletter about there summer changes it indicated that there is a bus starting today and running through to September that will take you right to the entrance to Lynn Canyon Park - you catch the bus at the Lynn Valley Center which I believe is located at Mountain highway and Lynn Valley Road.

Will see if I can find the route number.

Appears to be only a weekend and holiday service and only running from around noon to 7 PM - it is an extension of the #227 Lynn Valley/Phibbs exchange service.

Cheers!

Dennis

That would be great, thank you for the info

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, we will be staying at the Landmark Hotel, can anyone please tell me where from that point we can catch a bus to Lynn Valley and the frequency of them

Thank you

I live in North Vancouver and I believe the most "enjoyable" way to get to Lynn Canyon is to catch the seabus from Canada Place to Lonsdale Quay.:) You can spend some time at the Quay while connecting to the Lynn Canyon bus. As the Quay is a transit hub, any driver can direct you to the proper connection. The Quay is a mini version of the Granville Island market.

I live in North Vancouver and I believe the most "enjoyable" way to get to Lynn Canyon is to catch the seabus from Canada Place to Lonsdale Quay.:) You can spend some time at the Quay while connecting to the Lynn Canyon bus. As the Quay is a transit hub, any driver can direct you to the proper connection. The Quay is a mini version of the Granville Island market.

I lived in North Vancouver for over 50 years and we used to cross Burrard Inlet on the old North Van Ferry for a nickel ....... and I agree with you.

Thanks for that, the sea us it is then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just so that you are aware, if you think you will be travelling around Vancouver for more than the trip to the LVSB and back, you can purchase an all day pass for transit for $9.75 at many drug stores, c-stores and news stands.