We got a balcony!!!!! 4/1/07

surrocruiser

Called out of curiosity to find out the cost of upgrading our inside room to a balcony. They said they were in the process of closing out the inventory and could do it for $100/pp!!!! We are so excited. If you are sailing with us, now might be a good time to try for a better cabin.

Called out of curiosity to find out the cost of upgrading our inside room to a balcony. They said they were in the process of closing out the inventory and could do it for $100/pp!!!! We are so excited. If you are sailing with us, now might be a good time to try for a better cabin.

Sounds like a great deal. We're on the Armonia on 4/8.

Ours is April 1 too. What catagory were you before you got "promoted"? I'll still be happy with O.V., couldn't do an inside for the length of this cruise (I guess i'd survive), but I can at least look out and see if it's day or night. Had a balcony last cruise, it was nice to have someplace to go to relax.

OMG!!! I just found out that my TA lied to me again. She got us an OV not a balcony. I could cry. I really wish I had not booked with a TA. This was my first time and it has been the worst experience ever. I thought she had redeemed herself with the balcony, but now I want to report her to the BBB.

Hi Rachel,

Maybe you should call MSC with your concerns about your TA and how she misled you. Maybe if/when MSC does their "free upgrades", they will consider you because of the deceitful nature of your TA.

MSC recently upgraded us from a category 9 to a suite, no charge. THANKS MSC!! We received our docs and our cat 9 cabin was listed and that afternoon we received an e-mail from our TA saying we were upgraded and gave us our new cabin number.

I believe I know why they did this, our TA called to get us a price reduction before final payment and MSC refused. (We could have cancelled and re-booked but at the time, it wasn't worth the hassle.) MSC said they would upgrade us to a cat 10 but had none available. Our TA tried to get a SBC but to no avail. So, I think MSC probably referenced us for an upgrade and when going over final inventory they had a suite cabin available and they upgraded us. I didn't expect this, but it certainly was a nice gesture :)

Alot of times, when a sailing date becomes close, a cruiseline will upgrade passengers to make "cheaper" cabins available for last minute sales. Lower category cabins sell better last minute. If all of the suites are not sold out for your cruise, you may get considered given your situation.

You can also ask your TA to make it right. Suites are alot more expensive than OV's, so it is probably unlikely. At least ask for a SBC or something for her error. Would you have upgraded to the OV for the $200 anyway? If not, argue that point. I would speak to her supervisor and not deal with her anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I just called MSC to get our cabin number for the 4-1-07 Opera cruise and was upgraded from a catagory 2 to a catagory 9 with no extra charge. I asked what it would cost to get a catagory 10 with a balconey and was told none were available. :)

Archived