traveling with someone on a ventilator update.

Hi Everyone; For all those who helped with suggestions as to how to manage the issues of someone on a ventilator going on a cruise, thanks. Unfortunately we've had to cancel the trip for Robin. Her nursing home will not allow her to take the ventilators she uses there away. And, no one will rent a ventilator-not surprising. Nor will the nursing home provide any training at all never mind the amount that would be needed for us to be prepared to care for her for over 2 weeks on our own. And, her medical needs were more involved than she'd admitted to previously. The staff at the nursing home really accentuated how dangerous a trip like that could be. I'm very sad for Robin as she really wanted to go on that cruise. But, in a way it's a relief. I can now just relax and not worry every minute about the finances and how much we have to organize. I've asked the nursing home if they could bend the rules that say they can only train immediate family members. I visit her way more than her family does. That was I could do day trips with her.

Hi Everyone; For all those who helped with suggestions as to how to manage the issues of someone on a ventilator going on a cruise, thanks. Unfortunately we've had to cancel the trip for Robin. Her nursing home will not allow her to take the ventilators she uses there away. And, no one will rent a ventilator-not surprising. Nor will the nursing home provide any training at all never mind the amount that would be needed for us to be prepared to care for her for over 2 weeks on our own. And, her medical needs were more involved than she'd admitted to previously. The staff at the nursing home really accentuated how dangerous a trip like that could be. I'm very sad for Robin as she really wanted to go on that cruise. But, in a way it's a relief. I can now just relax and not worry every minute about the finances and how much we have to organize. I've asked the nursing home if they could bend the rules that say they can only train immediate family members. I visit her way more than her family does. That was I could do day trips with her.

This comes as no surprise. However please take comfort in the fact that though disappointed, Robin does understand the heartfelt effort you made to attempt to have her dream come true. You're a wonderful friend! I'm certain that you understand that the nursing home is unable to bend the rules. It's not a matter of who visits her most but rather it who has legal guardianship as well as Power of Attorney for Healthcare for Robin. (By the way issue Power of Attorney for Healthcare was not previously brought up but would have been important for you to have if the cruise did materialize. You're quite fortunate that the nursing home has allowed you to take her on day trips.

My 94 year old mother is in a nursing home and sadly my 70 year old sister was moved into the same home last week. My siblings are allowed to take my mother out of the facility. However we are only able to take my sister outside for a walk around the nursing home's ground. Only my sister's Husband and Children are allowed to take her on day trips.