How to Secure a Waterproof Camera While Snorkeling

Hello folks, I hope this is the right place for this. I enjoy amateur photography, and snorkeling. A few cruises ago, I bought a cheap underwater camera to use while diving (FUJIFILM Finepix XP120). It is definitely a cheap model, but it has served me well so far (two cruises), especially after some post processing. Though I know it won't last forever, I want to protect my investment. Here is my problem.

It came with a wrist cuff/flotation device that I can attach to it. I am a very strong swimmer, but it is incredibly awkward to swim with the camera in my hand, or hanging off my wrist. The camera hanging off my wrist bouncing around, and paranoia of losing it is very distracting. I would like to be able to swim without the wrist device, but still have a place to secure the camera on my body when not taking pictures, like a zippered pocket, holster, or something else. I also wondered if snorkel vests with pockets, or attachments to holster a camera are available.

Does anyone know of anything like this, or have you encountered similar issues and how did you solve them? I may go to a local dive supply shop and ask there, but I thought I might check here first.

Thank you so much!

I've thought about this in the past but never acted upon it...

My possible solution is one of those compression sleaves for your arm, but in a size too big. Maybe it would give the right amount of tension when the camera is slipped into it and keep it from flopping around while I swam.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you have a pocket in your trunks, you could attach the floatie with a bungee. Then you could put it in your pocket, but know if it worked its way out it would still be attached. If you wear a rash guard you could slip it up your sleeve.

I usually just let it slide up my arm or flop around, but I only snorkel (no diving). I've pretty much decided I like "from shore" snorkeling much more than from boats, usually from boats the water is too deep for any decent photography (at least with my little Nikon).

Vic

First thing I did was to toss the wrist strap in a drawer. Got out a old lanyard and hooked that onto the camera.......that way I can just hang it around my neck and then am free to use my hands to swim, etc. What can I say, it works for me. :D

First thing I did was to toss the wrist strap in a drawer. Got out a old lanyard and hooked that onto the camera.......that way I can just hang it around my neck and then am free to use my hands to swim, etc. What can I say, it works for me. :D

Depends on if it is just a wrist strap or a floaty strap. Floaties keep the camera from sinking if it comes loose. I have "dropped"

my camera in the water and the float strap saved me!

Vic

Save

Save