Cash or credit card when heading to Orient Beach?

01Sweetpea

Our cruise leaves in a little more than 6 weeks and I'm trying to figure out how much CASH I am going to need to bring. :confused:

I know I'll need cash for the taxis, but do I need cash for the restaurants to rent chairs and eat? Will I need cash for parasailing? or can I put all that on my credit card?

Our cruise leaves in a little more than 6 weeks and I'm trying to figure out how much CASH I am going to need to bring. :confused:

I know I'll need cash for the taxis, but do I need cash for the restaurants to rent chairs and eat? Will I need cash for parasailing? or can I put all that on my credit card?

Cash is king out there. Many restaurants take cash only. My friends used cash when renting jet skis, not sure if credit cards were an option.

Cash is king out there. Many restaurants take cash only. My friends used cash when renting jet skis, not sure if credit cards were an option.

Just at Orient Beach mid March..Payed cash (US$) for our chairs/umbrella and used my Capital One credit card to rent our jet skis (no problem they were happy to take it)...Sorry we didn't eat there, opted to wait and eat at Sarafinas in Marigot instead...

Edited by Ashland

• 2 weeks later...

We usually rent chairs and eat at kakao which is pretty nice. Cash for taxi. Cash for chairs. Cash to walk up the beach bar to grab one drink to take back. To your chair. Credit card is fine for lunch seated at the restaurant. I'd guess the more casual places would probably want cash for food too.

personally, i always take cash and never ever use credit cards in any of the ports for anything... too much scamming going on... wouldnt want to lose it or have someone take it to the back and copy it....

I know someone that used their credit card... they ended up having $5000 in charges that they did not make....

• 5 years later...

This seems to be an old thread ,not too many answers ,so hoping for a few more answers. Like the OP I am looking for taxis in Saint Maarten do they take credit cards? I am not interested in the local Safari type taxis -

looking at a regular taxi.

Did they accept credit cards or only cash?

This seems to be an old thread ,not too many answers ,so hoping for a few more answers. Like the OP I am looking for taxis in Saint Maarten do they take credit cards? I am not interested in the local Safari type taxis -

Take....cash ! The only reason I used my Capital One credit card was to rent our jet ski's at Orient Beach...a last minute decision and didn't have enough cash for this...I felt safe using my card for this one thing and luckily had no problem doing so or with billing charge.

Take....cash ! The only reason I used my Capital One credit card was to rent our jet ski's at Orient Beach...a last minute decision and didn't have enough cash for this...I felt safe using my card for this one thing and luckily had no problem doing so or with billing charge.

So are you saying the taxis do not accept credit cards or you did not feel comfortable? I'm not looking to rent a jet ski ,so that really wasn't my question .trying to use a credit card in the taxi ,prefer not to use all my cash or carry around a lot of cash.

I'm trying to find out if credit cards are acceptable in a taxi cab. I realize cash is accepted.

Cash for the taxi. You are not in New York City or Chicago here and I don't recall them having credit card machines or meters in the taxis. All the taxis at the cruise pier are very organized. There is a dispatch area with standard prices posted. All prices are based on location and number of people going. A dispatcher matches you up with a cab and will often match up people going to the same location to share a cab, or a bunch of people going to the same location (especially at a peak time) in a van.

So are you saying the taxis do not accept credit cards or you did not feel comfortable? I'm not looking to rent a jet ski ,so that really wasn't my question .trying to use a credit card in the taxi ,prefer not to use all my cash or carry around a lot of cash.

I'm trying to find out if credit cards are acceptable in a taxi cab. I realize cash is accepted.

I have used taxis in St. Maarten and never saw the option to use credit cards - I suppose some might accept cards but would not bet on it.

Thanks everyone for your answers ,cash it is for the taxis.

I just received a email back from the office of tourism Saint Martin and they say only cash for the taxis and US dollars are an acceptable form of payment island wide according to Saint Maarten ,the friendly island French Caribbean.

So darn ,I need to carry more cash than I am use to.:eek:

Thanks everyone for your answers ,cash it is for the taxis.

I just received a email back from the office of tourism Saint Martin and they say only cash for the taxis and US dollars are an acceptable form of payment island wide according to Saint Maarten ,the friendly island French Caribbean.

So darn ,I need to carry more cash than I am use to.:eek:

Glad the office of tourism confirmed what many of us were posting.

Ok, now how much CASH will the taxi be approximately from the cruise ship dock area to Maho? One way.

Is it per person or total? We will be 2 people.

Thanks.

If you share with others then count on about $8 pp each way from the pier to and from Maho. I think it's about $10 pp each way for each of two people if you don't share. The green thing to do when going somewhere so popular is to share and you not only save the environment a little but you also save a little cash.:)

Ok, now how much CASH will the taxi be approximately from the cruise ship dock area to Maho? One way.

Is it per person or total? We will be 2 people.

Thanks.

Here are the rates per a sign at the cruise port taxi stand these are about 2 years old so they might have increased slightly). The price depends on how many in the cab as rates are per person. The cab lines at the cruise port are more or less organized with a dispatcher assigning cabs. If you leave the cruise port for a popular destination during busy times the dispatcher will ask you go share a cab.

IMG_2358.JPG

We discovered SXM and Orient beach on a cruise several years ago - now travel there for two weeks every winter -

On Orient - cash for the chairs - depending on which bar you go to expect to pay anywhere from 15 bucks for two chairs and umbrella to 25 bucks for the same - the difference is in they type of chairs/cushions - the distance between chairs and frankly the service on the beach - We usually start our morning with double espressos - then a nice glass of champagne - lunch - a bottle of wine or two - they will run a tab for you all day without running your card first and you just settle up when the day is over - usually we are the last to leave our chairs...:-)

We've eaten in beach chairs at KonTiki - Bikini - LaPlaya and Kakao - have used credit cards each time - they are happy to take Visa and Master Card - have found NO ONE on the French side who accepts AmEx (which is generally our go-to card) - Also most of the operators of the jet skis/trampolines/snorkeling/scuba are affiliated with one of the beach bars and also accept Visa or Master Card - - if you can, get a card that does not charge foreign transaction fees.

Orient is the most wonderful beach we've ever been to - we always have in mind to explore the island and do more stuff - generally end up in Grand Case for Harmony Night once and then spend the rest of our days on Orient - we rent a condo within walking distance of KonTiki/Kakao... pure heaven

Edited by Jborosara

We discovered SXM and Orient beach on a cruise several years ago - now travel there for two weeks every winter -

On Orient - cash for the chairs - depending on which bar you go to expect to pay anywhere from 15 bucks for two chairs and umbrella to 25 bucks for the same - the difference is in they type of chairs/cushions - the distance between chairs and frankly the service on the beach - We usually start our morning with double espressos - then a nice glass of champagne - lunch - a bottle of wine or two - they will run a tab for you all day without running your card first and you just settle up when the day is over - usually we are the last to leave our chairs...:-)

We've eaten in beach chairs at KonTiki - Bikini - LaPlaya and Kakao - have used credit cards each time - they are happy to take Visa and Master Card - have found NO ONE on the French side who accepts AmEx (which is generally our go-to card) - Also most of the operators of the jet skis/trampolines/snorkeling/scuba are affiliated with one of the beach bars and also accept Visa or Master Card - - if you can, get a card that does not charge foreign transaction fees.

Orient is the most wonderful beach we've ever been to - we always have in mind to explore the island and do more stuff - generally end up in Grand Case for Harmony Night once and then spend the rest of our days on Orient - we rent a condo within walking distance of KonTiki/Kakao... pure heaven

You love Orient and it shows. I have to laugh because there is a poster on here that absolutely hates it and discourages EVERYONE from going there because they chose it for a vacation once and they didn't like it. They were surprised at how busy it was mostly at least that's what I have gotten from their many posts referencing it over the years. I think that listening to what people are looking for and the time of year that they are going really helps people find the right beach for them. With that said there is a beach that I love to have lunch at but I never recommend people to swim at it because I believe that at times it is polluted and it's really difficult to know if and when it's not.

At Orient do you find that the closer you go to the clothing optional section the cheaper it is and that more of the beach bars run the $=e or 1:1 specials? A few years ago we found this to be true.

You love Orient and it shows. I have to laugh because there is a poster on here that absolutely hates it and discourages EVERYONE from going there because they chose it for a vacation once and they didn't like it. They were surprised at how busy it was mostly at least that's what I have gotten from their many posts referencing it over the years. I think that listening to what people are looking for and the time of year that they are going really helps people find the right beach for them. With that said there is a beach that I love to have lunch at but I never recommend people to swim at it because I believe that at times it is polluted and it's really difficult to know if and when it's not.

At Orient do you find that the closer you go to the clothing optional section the cheaper it is and that more of the beach bars run the $=e or 1:1 specials? A few years ago we found this to be true.

Yes - we love Orient - as far as things being cheaper further south on the beach - not sure - probably though - a couple of years ago the French govt tore down all the shacks and built sturdier (if less individual) buildings to replace them - I've not been there yet when they were all open during the high season - last winter a few of them were opening while we were there... but not all - not even most, so I can't answer that for now...

and yes, Orient is not the beach to go to if you are looking for secluded and peaceful - but there is a great vibe there - a great energy... I'm middle aged (maybe a bit past) - have had three kids and have never been particularly comfortable in a swimsuit - but I don't feel uncomfortable on Orient - there is just something so warm and frankly, so very French there... my only irritation comes from drunk, unruly Americans who get very obnoxious - many of them are day trippers from cruise ships, but I won't over-generalize... there is no better place in the world to people watch -

Yes - we love Orient - as far as things being cheaper further south on the beach - not sure - probably though - a couple of years ago the French govt tore down all the shacks and built sturdier (if less individual) buildings to replace them - I've not been there yet when they were all open during the high season - last winter a few of them were opening while we were there... but not all - not even most, so I can't answer that for now...

and yes, Orient is not the beach to go to if you are looking for secluded and peaceful - but there is a great vibe there - a great energy... I'm middle aged (maybe a bit past) - have had three kids and have never been particularly comfortable in a swimsuit - but I don't feel uncomfortable on Orient - there is just something so warm and frankly, so very French there... my only irritation comes from drunk, unruly Americans who get very obnoxious - many of them are day trippers from cruise ships, but I won't over-generalize... there is no better place in the world to people watch -

Thanks for the info and I do agree that it's a great place to people watch.