Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 25

pierces

Fell under a lucky star... Long story, but somehow I finagled a private meet and greet with Bob Brenly (D'backs manager for 2001 World Series winners and now TV announcer) last night.

7a2312db55bb47a084c6f5706bdc5cc9.jpg

Pics , autographs, and shot the bull for a few minutes. Awesome.

(And another example how modern cellphones make life a little easier)

Edited by shootr

Both the cactus flowers and the bees are back. A record bloom this year! Instead of the usual four to six buds, we counted thirty-four in various stages of development this week. Not sure if there's a cause and effect relationship, but the cactus fell over in its pot a while ago and bruised its side pretty badly. Did this trigger a survival response with a huge increase in flowering? Unknown. Whatever the reason, there have been six huge, one-day-only blooms so far and more poised for their moment in the spotlight. A great reason to drag out the old 100mm macro lens and intrude on the world of the small. I hope the bee enjoyed that drop of nectar from our organic bee feeder.

Bee-25 Bomber

p2389715889-5.jpg

Dave

This was a 'back to the wetlands' weekend for me - so here are a few highlights of a brutally hot and humid summer day in the swamp:

A very close up side profile portrait of a black-bellied whistling duck, from about 6 feet away:

original.jpg

Purple gallinule looking up and stretching to get at a nice juicy flower bud:

original.jpg

Closeup of a red dragonfly:

original.jpg

A big wood stork, just after having a dip in the water to cool off, now trying to dry himself off by spreading his wings to air out:

original.jpg

A juvenile tricolored heron, still brown in color having not developed his adult coat yet, but practicing his hunting/fishing technique in the shallows:

original.jpg

here are a few highlights of a brutally hot and humid summer day in the swamp:

I took out the 70-300mm to dust off the same and when I see your photos, I wonder why I bought that lens - I could never take as great pictures with it like you do!

Nice shots Justin!

This was a 'back to the wetlands' weekend for me - so here are a few highlights of a brutally hot and humid summer day in the swamp:

A very close up side profile portrait of a black-bellied whistling duck, from about 6 feet away:

original.jpg

Purple gallinule looking up and stretching to get at a nice juicy flower bud:

original.jpg

Closeup of a red dragonfly:

original.jpg

A big wood stork, just after having a dip in the water to cool off, now trying to dry himself off by spreading his wings to air out:

original.jpg

A juvenile tricolored heron, still brown in color having not developed his adult coat yet, but practicing his hunting/fishing technique in the shallows:

original.jpg

Absolutely wonderful photos, thank you for sharing them.

• 2 weeks later...