A Cheap Charley pick for Dubai

barante

We'll be taking a Christmas/NYE cruise from Abu Dhabi to southern India and back. I was looking for a cheap hotel in Dubai, where we'll disembark without staying on to Abu Dhabi.

Two hotels peaked my interest: Arabian Courtyard and Pearl Creek. The former looks like a splendid hotel but I liked the price of Pearl Creek, a brand-new building. Got a cancelable booking for three nights for $310. Overlooks the creek, with an outdoor swimming pool. https://www.hotels.com/ho639594/pearl-creek-hotel-dubai-united-arab-emirates/

Check out the IBIS Deira City Center.

It is part of the Accor family of hotel brands.

http://www.accorhotels.com

I have stayed there many times on business (when the cheap boss is paying). Rooms are a bit basic but immaculate. The IBIS is sharing a building with the more upmarket NOVOTEL, and the facilities such as restaurants, the bar, the outdoor pool etc are accessible to guests from both hotels.

Very decent breakfast buffet for a cheap price, especially when pre-booked with the room booking.

Very good location. Less than 10 min by taxi from the airport, a good shopping mall directly across the road (supermarket, cinema complex, department stores, fashion etc). The metro is a 3 minute walk away and can whisk you to all the mega malls and sights easily.

There are lots of other accor hotels in Dubai and the UAE. The website gives a listing and also shows the properties on a map.

IKEA of hotels

Thanks for your recommendation. Although we'll stay at Pearl Creek we are Ibis people at heart.

We began a Christmastime Antarctica sail-by by staying two nights at Ibis Valparaiso. (In Spanish, Ibis is pronounced eeves). In another two months we'll be returning there. Good value.

We also stayed two nights at Ibis Congreso in Buenos Aires. Again, good value.

Ibis is developing several cut-rate brands. While all its hotels are clean and spartan, room sizes and amenities vary greatly. It's the IKEA of hotels.