Sleeping arrangements for a tall toddler

vkwo

My husband, 21 month old daughter, and I will be sailing on the allure of the seas next month and I am trying to figure out her sleeping arrangements. I have already requested a crib for her, but she's recently gone through a growth spurt and will likely be too tall for the pack n play / playard that rcl provides. The pack n play is only for kids under 35 inches tall.

Do you have any suggestions for what travel

Crib or bed to bring with us on the cruise? Or did you put your young toddler in the sofa bed somehow?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could you check on the RCI forum to see if the couch turns around? If so, that might make a nice bed for a toddler. Also, some people just take cushions and put them on the floor and make a bed out of that.

The ship pack n plays on HAL and Princess seemed to be the size of a regular pack n play. Could you check with a friend to see if they'd let you put your daughter in their pack n play for a few minutes to see if she can fit in it comfortably? I wouldn't suggest buying one when she's close to the limit, but she might be able to sleep in it for a weeklong cruise even if she is a little over the limit. My son was probably about 37 inches and 3 years old on his second cruise, and he slept in the pack n play comfortably on HAL (technically HAL is not supposed to not give you a crib over the age of 2 but we were lucky and they filled our request. If they hadn't we would have built him a bed on the floor out of pillows).

If you can avoid bringing a bed, that would be helpful.

My 15 month old is tall, on carnival their cribs are only 30 inches long so I am just going to bring our pack n play so he can be comfortable. Turning the couch I don't think would work, probably lean over and fall out and I would be to worried about him getting into things if he slept on the floor. If you don't have a pack n play could you borrow one? Or even look for a second hand one. We found a brand new one in the box at goodwill for $30, it was a salvage item from target and a small loop I ripped off but does not affect it at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we sailed on Allure with DD when she was 2, we initially tried the fold out bed, but it took too much room and just didn't work well. After the first night, our cabin attendant made a bed out of all the bedding for the sofa bed on the floor by the sofa. It worked out great!

We take a blow up ready bed for our daughter who is a tall 3 year old. They don't take up too much room in the cabin and they can be easily put under the bed/stood up in a corner when not in use. They fold up pretty small. My only additional advice is to take a cheap puncture repair kit incase you get a leak, like we did!

Edited by moqui_girl

We take a blow up ready bed for our daughter who is a tall 3 year old. They don't take up too much room in the cabin and they can be easily put under the bed/stood up in a corner when not in use. They fold up pretty small. My only additional advice is to take a cheap puncture repair kit incase you get a leak, like we did!

That is a great idea for my boy when he gets older!

Do they have bed rails? We were able to do couch with bedrail, but that was on Disney and it worked fine.

Also bring a pool noodle and you can put under sheet. It helps work as a bed rail too and easy to pack.

Edited by martikus

We ended up with our 27 month old sleeping in bed with us on our last cruise when he unexpectedly refused to sleep in the pack n play. He never sleeps in our bed at home, but has done it on several vacations since then and it has always worked well for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We ended up with our 27 month old sleeping in bed with us on our last cruise when he unexpectedly refused to sleep in the pack n play. He never sleeps in our bed at home, but has done it on several vacations since then and it has always worked well for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We end up doing this half the time too. The beds are pretty big as long as you don't have a serial wriggler! [emoji23]

We end up doing this half the time too. The beds are pretty big as long as you don't have a serial wriggler! [emoji23]

My son is a crazy sleeper!!! I tried having him in bed with us one night when he was sick with a really high fever but he would not settle down and go to sleep, ended up in the recliner with him on my chest and he still only slept for maybe a half hour at a time. The boy needs his space! Which is funny because for the longest time the only way he would sleep was on my chest...

We have the lotus travel crib and were given a baby bjorn travel crib just recently. Both are about 42" length. They fold up tiny and are extremely light. We check them when we are flying as they fold into a bag. The lotus we got almost 5 years ago and we have used it for both girls traveling and staying at grandparents house and it has held up great. My almost 3 year old still sleeps in in when we travel. The baby bjorn that we were given was used with two kids before they gave it to us and it looks brand new. The mattress seems more comfortable in the baby bjorn. Might be something to look into. You could just pull it out at night because they both fold so small and so easy you could put it in the closet during the day so you have more space in your room if needed.

Edited by Jennilee17

• 1 month later...

We used the shrunks toddler air mattress for our son when we stayed in hotels when he was 2 and 3. He was too big for the pack and plays and too small for the bed or couch.

It came with a great pump and carrying bag. We bought it through amazon but bed bath and beyond also carries it.