How easy/hard to walk from ship into town for shopping or restaurants/bar.

PBC29

Is it a difficult walk from the ship pier to the town boardwalk? Many hills? paved sidewalk most or all the way? Rather go by foot than load up in a water taxi when we already have 2 tender ports on the trip or wait for a taxi.

Easy walk, flat and paved all the way.

It takes us a brisk 20 minute walk to get to the vicinity of Holland House, and a bit longer to get to the Little Pier, near the center of town shopping, etc., but there are many bars along the way before you get that far.

gary

Out the main gate and turn left.

Follow the sidewalk/crowds/signs.

I would expect two chairs and an umbrella to be around $20. That may come with a bucket of beer or drinks. Just check when you see comfortable looking chairs along the beach.

I still have concerns over water quality, so I don't go in here.

gary

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry to hijack the post, but we’re thinking of walking on the boardwalk on an upcoming cruise. What bars/restaurants and shopping do they have? How big is the boardwalk? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s all bars and restaurants and shopping. Probably 3/4 to a mile long end to end, although we usually don’t make it past the Lazy Lizard:D:D

where do you recommend to catch a water taxi at Vicky? Whats the cost? Do they charge for small kids (2 and 3 yr olds)?

The water taxi is right at the end of the cruise pier, although they have some construction going on at the time we were there. Maybe 5 minute walk from ship to taxi. $7 for unlimited all day crossings.

Is it a difficult walk from the ship pier to the town boardwalk? Many hills? paved sidewalk most or all the way? Rather go by foot than load up in a water taxi when we already have 2 tender ports on the trip or wait for a taxi.

I know you have other answers, but years ago I mapped it out on a running app I use. Depending on where you pick your start/stopping point it is almost exactly 1/2 mile. Since then we have walked it 5 or 6 times. Its sidewalk protected by a guard rail most of the way and a quick security checkpoint to get in the port. If your physically able, its easy.

Flat easy walk. Water taxi is quick. Not sure what is left after the hurricanes. I really enjoyed the boardwalk. Hope is comes back to life quickly!!

Prior to the hurricane they had golf carts on the pier that would take you to the water taxi or visitor center to catch a cab. Are they still available?

It’s all bars and restaurants and shopping. Probably 3/4 to a mile long end to end, although we usually don’t make it past the Lazy Lizard:D:D

We love the lazy lizard!! Is it up and running again since the hurricanes?

Just back from St. Maarten. It's very easy walk for adults. Most of the palm trees outside of the ports were cut down so could be hot. Since we were with son & DIL with two small kids, we took, for the first time, a water taxi to the end of board walk at $7.00 returns, $5.00 one way. We were planning to go to Marigot just ourselves, we only paid for one way.

We played at the Great Bay beach, the first time, and the son's family took the water taxi back. We waited for maybe 15-20 mins for the water taxi then we walked back without going to Marigot. It took 10 mins to the port gate and a free shuttle was waiting inside so we took that . We were ahead of my son's family because they went to the town centre to pick up more passengers. But you can tell it is easier/faster to walk.

The lazy lizard was open and a lot of rebuilding was going on. Although I read the chocolate shop has moved and are open, I could not find it. St Martin/Maaten is my favourite place and we always visited the French side, but due to the time restrain, I could not go to Marigot this time. We did see a lot of new van taxis for locals up and running. We were told that regular taxi to Marigot from the port for two was $20.

Edited by TOCruisers