Waterproof camera vs. Waterproof phone case?

BlueSky73

I love the camera on my phone (Galaxy s6 edge). I love the lack of lag time, the picture quality - everything. But I love my phone, and I don't want anything to happen to it. However, the cost of a waterproof case is a huge difference than a waterproof camera that would be comparable to the camera on my phone.

We're going to Jamaica, Labadee, and Cozumel, but the only shore excursion we are sure about is Dunn's River Falls/Blue Hole/Secret Falls. We may try snorkeling at one of the other ports.

What are y'alls thoughts on this?

I never trust waterproof cases. My phone is too critical to risk (I don't look at it as cost of case, I look at it as cost of case AND phone if case fails).

I have a nice little waterproof Pentax I got for about $250 that does a fine job.

I never trust waterproof cases. My phone is too critical to risk (I don't look at it as cost of case, I look at it as cost of case AND phone if case fails).

I have a nice little waterproof Pentax I got for about $250 that does a fine job.

I feel the same way about my phone. I would not risk it. I'd much rather invest the money in a small waterproof camera. I have a Nikon AW100 (there are newer versions on the market now).

For years I used a cheap underwater case for whatever camera I was willing to risk. I was never satisfied with the pictures. At Thanksgiving I got a good deal on a Nikon AW130. The pictures I got were a big step up from anything else I have ever taken while snorkeling. Go with a dedicated underwater camera, at whatever price point you can afford.

DSCN0051_zps55zjw48a.jpg

Not retouched, very cloudy water.

DSCN0067_zpszytuqi4q.jpg

Vic