Have you ever been booted off a cruise?

reporterbabe

The people you have described in your post should have been tossed off immediately instead of waiting until they got to the next port.

DON

Really? At sea between ports and you want them tossed off immediately, not waiting until port? ?? :o

Really? At sea between ports and you want them tossed off immediately, not waiting until port? ?? :o

In some cases they deserve it. However, I might be kind and also toss off a very small rubber raft at the same time.

DON

In some cases they deserve it. However, I might be kind and also toss off a very small rubber raft at the same time.

DON

Don, you are a very nice man. (y)

On my nicest day I might toss off a very small rubber raft with a very big hole in it. :D

We think part of the problem is the "me me me" generation who have spent most of their lives thinking that rules or guidelines do not apply to them... When they are faced with any authority who enforces rules, with no quarter, they are shocked and angry. We older folks (we are seniors) can certainly be arrogant and rude, but we generally respect rules. These folks do not understand that on a cruise ship, the Captain is the final authority and there is no appeal. If he/she says you are gone...you are gone! They can stamp their feet, demonstrate, call the Captain all kind of names....but they will still be gone! This kind of final authority does not exist in much of society these days....but on a cruise ship there is a single final authority.

Hank

So true...especially when their "feelings" get hurt...Funny how often their feelings get hurt when they are thwarted in any way..

So true...especially when their "feelings" get hurt...Funny how often their feelings get hurt when they are thwarted in any way..

Hey, quit being mean and give me back my phone that my parents worked really hard for. I would have done it but that would have required me to get out of bed and get a job so I could buy a car.

Kids haven't changed in thousands of years, and complaints about kids haven't changed in thousands of years. We only think they're different, because we're looking from the outside. Chances are, people complained about us the very same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kids haven't changed in thousands of years, and complaints about kids haven't changed in thousands of years. We only think they're different, because we're looking from the outside. Chances are, people complained about us the very same way.

Socrates (469-399 BC) said (according to Plato):

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Socrates (469-399 BC) said (according to Plato):

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

And it is a continuing, downhill slide - if Socrates was mildly concerned then, what would he think now?

That must have been terrifying to see.
It happened as we were getting ready for dinner. They made the "man overboard" announcement and started turning the ship around. Fortunately people saw him go over and threw the life preservers into the water. We could see their beacons flashing from our balcony. We never saw the kid in the water. Several crew members launched a rescue boat. We saw it head out but it went to the other side of the ship. About a half hour later, the captain announced that the person overboard had been rescued and was OK. We found out later the back story on the incident and about how the whole family left the ship in St. Thomas.

It happened as we were getting ready for dinner. They made the "man overboard" announcement and started turning the ship around. Fortunately people saw him go over and threw the life preservers into the water. We could see their beacons flashing from our balcony. We never saw the kid in the water. Several crew members launched a rescue boat. We saw it head out but it went to the other side of the ship. About a half hour later, the captain announced that the person overboard had been rescued and was OK. We found out later the back story on the incident and about how the whole family left the ship in St. Thomas.

Left - or were kicked off. I can't see them "kicking them off" because a child with learning (autistic) issues did something. The family could have just as easily decided crusing wasn't for them. There is a big difference in the two scenarios.

Left - or were kicked off. I can't see them "kicking them off" because a child with learning (autistic) issues did something. The family could have just as easily decided crusing wasn't for them. There is a big difference in the two scenarios.

Hopefully the family was onboard with leaving in st thomas; but I can't see the captain allowing them to stay onboard. Not kicking them off as a punishment, simply for his safety. Going overboard is incredibly dangerous; if they were allowed to stay on and he went over again and died the cruise line would have some liability. Not to mention that they just really wouldn't want that to happen.

I can.......a situation like that is dangerous to all. It wasn't a punishment, but it still was necessary.

And it is a continuing, downhill slide - if Socrates was mildly concerned then, what would he think now?

Probably that things haven't changed a lick in the past 2,500 years.;)

He might also think: "Why would anyone put the ram in the rama-la-ma-ding-dong?" :mad:

The following was reported on another thread last October about a passenger on the Oceania Insignia's world cruise:

"The person kicked off the world cruise this spring had 26 registered reports by staff of verbal abuse. I talked to several guests that witnessed his behaviour. He was sailing solo on the full voyage and was asked to leave in Singapore. He locked himself in his cabin until Bali so while losing over half the voyage he also had to pay his own way from Bali back to Singapore and then to the US. Insurance would not cover this type of trip interruption."

The following was reported on another thread last October about a passenger on the Oceania Insignia's world cruise:

"The person kicked off the world cruise this spring had 26 registered reports by staff of verbal abuse. I talked to several guests that witnessed his behaviour. He was sailing solo on the full voyage and was asked to leave in Singapore. He locked himself in his cabin until Bali so while losing over half the voyage he also had to pay his own way from Bali back to Singapore and then to the US. Insurance would not cover this type of trip interruption."

Sweet.

A few years ago a woman on these boards reported being put off a ship. The situation was that she ahd her sone were traveling with the son's long time school friend. One night he was found hanging off of the back of the ship and threatening to jump. the captain was finally able to talk him back inside but they were put off at the next port. Apparently, he had been on medication for years, but had stopped taking it recently. He had been raised by and lived with his grandmother. (My conclusion was that he had aged out of her insurance and she couldn't afford the meds). the woman said she was glad they put them off, as she was afraid he would do it, or something similar again. EM

Not totally off topic - the thread header is maybe not well worded?

The OP specifically relates an account of not being allowed to board and asks "Has this happened to anyone else?"

So those are the replies you are seeing.

I think we are mixing "booted off" with "denied embarkation".

Sometimes people don't word their threads to fit their question. Seems to happen a lot.

This reminds me of a poster about two years ago. He came on asking about the fairness of being kicked off just because they were so drunk that they didn't attend the muster drill. They also didn't attend the next two set up for them. They had to get the Captain, head of security and I forget who else but the hallway was crowded. He was from Europe and commented that they were just young people trying to enjoy their vacation.

At first he acted like it was an innocent question. Then it went into his personal involvement and wondered if he was banned from A cruise line, would that mean he would also be banned from B, C and D which were owned by the same group.

If you miss THREE muster drills, including two that were specifically arranged FOR YOU, you deserve to be kicked off. That is outright defiance. If they refuse to follow instructions, they put everyone on the ship at risk.

If you miss THREE muster drills, including two that were specifically arranged FOR YOU, you deserve to be kicked off. That is outright defiance. If they refuse to follow instructions, they put everyone on the ship at risk.

They weren't actually "refusing". They were SO drunk they were passed out. Thus the banging on the door by security. Apparently they were young professionals on a well deserved vacation and it was unreasonable for the ship personnel to expect them to comply. It was, after all, their vacation.

They were put off at the next port with their luggage and banned from the cruise line. The funny thing was, this guy acted like he wasn't involved like "has anyone ever heard" and "were they able to get back on" kind of questions. Since the people on CC aren't stupid it didn't take long to figure out he was talking about himself.

They weren't actually "refusing". They were SO drunk they were passed out. Thus the banging on the door by security. Apparently they were young professionals on a well deserved vacation and it was unreasonable for the ship personnel to expect them to comply. It was, after all, their vacation.

They were put off at the next port with their luggage and banned from the cruise line. The funny thing was, this guy acted like he wasn't involved like "has anyone ever heard" and "were they able to get back on" kind of questions. Since the people on CC aren't stupid it didn't take long to figure out he was talking about himself.

I'm old school. In my mind, that is the same as refusing. You're ALWAYS responsible for your behavior. Being drunk is no excuse.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Those were his words, not mine.

Hey this is CruiseCritic - We always shoot the messenger.....

.... and if they’re still standing, we make walk the plank…..

…..and if the sharks don’t get them right away we toss in a few hand grenades…….

........and...........

:D