When not cruising, what other vacations places you like to do?

sue1138

You have reminded me of why winter cruises and land getaways are so important: I spent four (college) years in the Finger Lakes area - downwind of Lake Erie - where the lake effect pretty much assured snow on the ground from Columbus Day to May Day: I am still in recovery these many years later.

Would NEVER survive New York winters. But it was perfect in July!

You need to venture out a tad further to Moab, UT. Home to Arches and Canyonlands NPs, and Dead Horse Point SP! On the way out or back, go via Capital Reef or Zion NPs. This part of Utah is amazing!

On my Bucket List. I think we will be traveling out west every 2-3 years for as long as the Lord lets us and I love finding at least one new place to go every time we go out there.

We are Disney Vacation Club members, so there's usually a 10 night stay at Disney World in the summer. A spring cruise in April each year is the counter to that for relaxation. Being a teacher, my traveling dates are regulated by our school calendar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love doing long road trips. Either round trip from Orlando or flying somewhere first and then renting a car.

Last summer I did an 18 day trip from Orlando to Montreal and back. The year before I flew to Salt Lake City and then drove to Albuquerque, Denver, Cheyenne, and back to Salt Lake City, some 3000 miles in a week.

I've also enjoyed 4 different land based European vacations and next year I'll be doing my first Cruise that involves flyIng to the departure port... Where I'll be staying for a week post sailing, to explore.

In my travels I enjoy going to State/Nash Parks, as well as Zoo's and Amusement Parks.... And little off the beaten path tourist traps or landmarks.

And over the last few years I've become more interested in the game of County Counting. Trying to visit different counties in my travels and marking them on a map along the way. (This summer's road trip involves Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Louisville. All places I've been.... But not for a few years) uh, my county map so far! http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/canobiefan.gif

Time Share in Orlando....

Our families are spread across the continent, so many trips are spent visiting them....

Once did a great drive trip hitting bed and breakfasts up the mid-Atlantic coast....on that trip, we hit St Augustine, Charleston, Savannah, the Outer Banks, Rehobeth, Annapolis.....had an amazing time....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All of our friends go "to the beach" , which means they go to the Gulf coast where they own condos or rent condos.

We mix inexpensive cruises with ground trips to the Baltic, Med or Greek Isles. And we don't spend as much money as our friends.

Our off trips are to the North Georgia mountains where we keep a recreational vehicle. We also own a lake house across town, and spend weekends on our own beach on the Tennessee River.

D.W. loves to get up in the wee hours for a Motorcycle trip.

We start @ 3 A.M. for a 100 mile ride to the Woods Hole Dock's to catch the first ferry to Martha's Vineyard @ sunrise.

Mass. Steamship authority does allows Motorcycles to cross without reservation.

Sitting on my Harley below decks Riding the waves make's me smile every time.

I love being a biker @ sea.:cool:

I generally cruise once a year. For other vacations, I like exploring two things: Roman ruins and large European cities (combining both in one trip = happy times).

Recent trips have included Southern Spain, Tuscany and Umbria, Romania, Lazio (the area surrounding Rome), and Tunisia.

If you like to drive, I second the road trips. They can be a lot of fun.

I did a Trans-Canada train trip from Vancouver to Toronto a couple years ago. It was amazing! It was a travel package, so all lodging and the majority of transportation was included, as well as some excursions. I started off in Vancouver (flew in a day earlier so I could tour the city longer), stayed overnight at the Metropolitan Hotel downtown (all the hotels I stayed at were 4 star and part of the package), then boarded the VIA the next afternoon. I had my own room on the train and all of the food was included when on the train. The trip wasn't all by train--I had 3-4 days in Jasper, Lake Louise, and Banff.

It was a really cool trip and a great alternative to the standard cruise or other types of land vacations.

The company I used to book my train trip does these kinds of trips all over the world, so if you wanted to do something similar in Europe, just google train vacations or rail vacations. I'm sure you'll find them.