Tahiti inland tour- how bad on back?

mjthecruiser

Hi there...we took an inland Tahiti 4WD Sept. 2015. The trip not particularly rough. It was very dusty. We were covered with this road dust. We did it on day of disembarkation then took the ferry over to Moorea for our post cruise stay. You can imagine the embarrassment traveling the ferry after this trip! We cleaned up and brushed off the best we could in the ferry terminal restroom.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

From my experience on that inner island road it was rough. When we went it was slippery as it had been raining and the road was a mess.

Though I admit the tour is well worth it but it would appear different people experience different things.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

We did not do the inland tour because I too have a bad back.We just did the circumnavigation on pavement.

That said,we say a variety of in land destined tour vehicles, which would be my main concern. Some were flatbed trucks with bench seats(some wood) fitted in the back that made me cringe without even riding in them. Most of the trucks would be bouncy, especially over the rear axle. There were a few small private tours with Jeep type vehicles which with the off road options that be a lot better for shock absorption.

Good Luck

We did not do the inland tour because I too have a bad back.We just did the circumnavigation on pavement.

That said,we say a variety of in land destined tour vehicles, which would be my main concern. Some were flatbed trucks with bench seats(some wood) fitted in the back that made me cringe without even riding in them. Most of the trucks would be bouncy, especially over the rear axle. There were a few small private tours with Jeep type vehicles which with the off road options that be a lot better for shock absorption.

Good Luck

How long did it take you to circumnavigate the island? I assumed you rented a car?

Thanks,

Greg

Actually we signed up for a mini bus tour with the tour company at the Intercontinental. The duration was about 6 hours with lunch at a nice oceanfront restaurant near the Gauguin area. The tour director was very accommodating and added some stops. That was beneficial for "back breaks" In general the people in Tahiti were very friendly.

If you drove a rental, you could do the trip in 4 hours without lunch.

Actually we signed up for a mini bus tour with the tour company at the Intercontinental. The duration was about 6 hours with lunch at a nice oceanfront restaurant near the Gauguin area. The tour director was very accommodating and added some stops. That was beneficial for "back breaks" In general the people in Tahiti were very friendly.

If you drove a rental, you could do the trip in 4 hours without lunch.

Thanks! so much! Appreciate the in quick response.

Greg