Taleri Gorge Train excursion

Crannicky

My parents have just done a NZ cruise on the Radiance and also did the ships train excursion which included Larnach Castle as well. They thought it was wonderful and worth the money. Many people have been able to book it independently for a much lower cost but you will need to catch the train from Dunedin. Have a look through this forum and also the Australian/New Zealand cruising forum for posts about doing the tour independently.

The Trieri Gorge railway tour usually departs from and returns to the Ships wharf . It is one of the World's great railway trips and not to be missed . Very spectacular scenery and engineering . Lunch is usually served to your seat on the train .

If you have an Option that just offers the rail trip then go for that, as Larnach Castle is not actually a castle, rather an old historic homestead masquerading as a castle, a sort of legend in its own lunchtime. A nice old home and gardens in a very spectacular location, but certainly not a castle .

Worth every cent but can be done by yourself at 1/3rd the cost. Ship's price is a ripp off. There are 2 trains -one for the ship that leaves from the dock at Port Chalmers and one for the public from the most photographed train station in the world at Dunedin. If there are 2 ships in port then you have no option but to take the ship's tour.

Very easy to get to the station using the shuttle bus put on by the railway. There is also an optional town tour available for minimal cost at the end of the train trip that takes you all the way back to the gangway.

All you miss out on is a boxed lunch and drinks. The public train has classic carriages and a small cafe/bar. Commentary is given on both trains and they both go to the same destinations depending on the day. See the fares, timetable, booking etc here. Why not send them an email.

Thank you for replying and giving me info on this trip. I really am going to do this trip, but may do it with the ship as I am travelling on my own and think I would feel more secure doing it with people from the cruise. Really appreciate it, thanks again.

anne

Just a word of warning - there will not necessarily be a public train doing the same run on the day you are in port. Both times we have been in Dunedin by cruise ship the public trains did different or no other trip. Do check their website as listed above.

As we live in NZ we will do the trip on a separate visit to Dunedin.

Even the Kiwi's on the cruise ships have raved about the Ship Excursion - so it must be good!

We will be in Port Chalmers with Princess on Friday December 27th. I had planned to rent a vehicle to drive to the Royal Albatross Centre and reserve a tour with the yellow eyed Penguins at Otago Peninsula.

I am then reading about this wonderful train ride.

We have never been to New zealand and want to make the most out of our day.

We are an adult family of 4 and enjoy looking at beautiful scenery and also the wildlife.

My question is, which tour would be better for the time of the year we are going to be visiting Dunedin.

Thanks for all your help.

Steph

Just a word of warning - there will not necessarily be a public train doing the same run on the day you are in port. Both times we have been in Dunedin by cruise ship the public trains did different or no other trip. Do check their website as listed above.

As we live in NZ we will do the trip on a separate visit to Dunedin.

Even the Kiwi's on the cruise ships have raved about the Ship Excursion - so it must be good!

The train timetables are on the website and unless there are 2 ships in port then there is a public train that does the run according to the timetable. Maybe both trains were assigned to large ships such as Voyager or Solstice. On weekends there seems to be a Friday/Sunday double that goes all the way to Middlemarch, otherwise they go as far as Pukerangi twice a day.

The rail people are very helpful when you email them and can tell you directly as to what program is available on your particular day. This is a good roll call tour. Payment is not required until on the day.

What would you rather pay NZ$99 or US$230. It's a no brainer as far as i'm concerned.

We took the ship's tour and the train picked us up right at the dock.

DSC04636.jpg

As to the scenery - breathtaking. We had a great time. When you get to the top they have everyone switch sides so you get a good look at the scenery on both sides of the track. Seating was at tables - 4 people to a table.

DSC04511.jpg

DSC04437.jpg

DSC04619.jpg

We took the ship's tour and the train picked us up right at the dock.

DSC04636.jpg

As to the scenery - breathtaking. We had a great time. When you get to the top they have everyone switch sides so you get a good look at the scenery on both sides of the track. Seating was at tables - 4 people to a table.

DSC04511.jpg

DSC04437.jpg

DSC04619.jpg

Your pics are fab. Thank u for posting them. Really looking forward to this trip.

To be fair it is well worth the extra $ to do the Ships Tour as the train departs and returns to ships side. It is a good 20 minutes by train from the Wharf to Dunedin station .

The train is operated as a Tourist Railway by Volunteers and it is a wonderful day out .

To be fair it is well worth the extra $ to do the Ships Tour as the train departs and returns to ships side. It is a good 20 minutes by train from the Wharf to Dunedin station .

The train is operated as a Tourist Railway by Volunteers and it is a wonderful day out .

The train returns early afternoon - about 1.30pm from memory. There is so much more to see at Dunedin. This can easily be done by doing the train privately. The shuttle to the station costs about NZ$5 and the city tour you can do after the train trip is only about NZ$20 - and that also brings you back to the ship. The private tour saves you at least $100.

Here are a couple of photo's of the station and one of the churches in Dunedin - just in case the OP doesn't make it into town. :)

Dunedin Railway Station

IMGP1151copy_zps8fad4b27.jpg

The First Church of Otago in Dunedin

IMGP1158copy_zps4a107588.jpg

We were just there on Valentine's Day on a HAL ship. They were charging about $250 USD which included being picked up at the wharf by the train. You received a glass of wine, a box lunch and returned to the wharf. Doing it yourself (and make reservations ahead of time) it was about $86 NZD and you need to get to Dunedin yourself. HAL had a shuttle that you could take to town. Both return about 1:30 and you could walk to the octagon center of town and get lunch there. This only works if there is one cruise ship in port - otherwise if there are two they will use both tracks for the cruise ships excursions.

My question is, which tour would be better for the time of the year we are going to be visiting Dunedin.

Steph

If it is beautiful scenery, then take the train. To see something different like the penguins and the albatross, do the wildlife tour. I organized the train ride for our roll call but did a tour with Back to Nature to do the Otago Peninsula, the Penguin Place (you are in trenches viewing the penguins through slats). I would highly recommend Chris, the owner, of the Back to Nature Tour. He was great to work with - we ended up booking two vans of 10 each though you can book individually and join others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh I have a question for you, regarding the Train to the Blue Mountains, when I check the web site for the stations to leave from in Sydney, I have no idea which station I should be looking for. If we are staying on Pitt Street at the Meriton Apartments where should we pick up the train. Thanks. I am not certain if we will do the train option but would like to know incase we do.

Gay

Hugh I have a question for you, regarding the Train to the Blue Mountains, when I check the web site for the stations to leave from in Sydney, I have no idea which station I should be looking for. If we are staying on Pitt Street at the Meriton Apartments where should we pick up the train. Thanks. I am not certain if we will do the train option but would like to know incase we do.

Gay

Hi Gay,

You need to search for the Blue Mountains Line, Central to Bathurst. You would need to catch the earliest possible train - it is about a 2 hour journey each way. Catch any train from Town Hall station (around the corner from the Meriton) to Central Station and you can purchase your ticket at Town Hall.

Check the website in case there is track work on otherwise you will end up on a bus for part of your journey.

Try this link for the Blue Mountains Line

Archived