Chankanaab vs Money Bar vs Playa Uvas

Endless Summer

I've been reading and reading about each and now looking for opinions on which people think is best. I'm going with a group of 3. Two of us love to snorkel but the third just wants to relax on the "beach." May be able to tempt her if snorkeling is easy from shore. Help, please.

Shore snorkeling is easy at both Chank and Money bar (sorry, never been to Playa Uvas). The beach is much nicer at Chank as there is only a sandy area for sunning at the Money Bar (you enter the water via steps) - but there's an admission fee for Cahnk that you need to factor into your decision.

You might consider stopping by the Money bar to snorkel and then heading out to one of the other beach clubs to keep everyone happy. Good luck! :)

If you have one who does not want to snorkel, Money Bar may not be the right choice.

It was not TOO difficult from shore, but the currents were there, and getting in the water on the stairs was a little difficult. There is a pretty good area you can stand in though, so that is a good way to ease into snorkeling. The snorkeling was amazing, and drinks and food are reasonably priced- chairs free.

However, the beach is just trucked in sand.

Chakanaab seems the best bet for a non-snorkeler, but it is expensive for entry. We only have experience with Money Bar.

Thanks JohninDC and skittl1321. Appreciate your opinions! I kinda like the idea of splitting the time between snorkeling and a beach club. Originally, I'd been leaning toward Chankanaab, but I heard it can get crowded on a day with a lot of cruise ships in port, which just happens to be the day I'll be there. My ship is the last in port, so I won't be able to get there early. That's when I started looking at other options.

I am a HUGE fan of Money Bar.

We had a decent deal for $60- hour of snorkeling, thirty minute massage, lunch & drink, cocktail and full use of the facility- which I guess is free anyways :)

The snorkeling was awesome..but yes, the current was STRONG. When I was done- I was exhausted..but then it again it doesn't help that I had a lot sun exposure, alcohol intake and not enough water since I had gotten on the ship!

I would highly recommend it. Here are a couple of pics from our trip!

225624_218662768146782_100000091828636_910545_3244844_n.jpg.6a2e0f1da5f8e1234ce0d58a8a596a3a.jpg

227830_218663078146751_100000091828636_910562_4518134_n.jpg.6f1d2369b9412371b87b329b1c3198ca.jpg

230237_218662861480106_100000091828636_910550_4653745_n.jpg.8be39c40f54e736a303bb48760367785.jpg

230431_218661684813557_100000091828636_910488_427105_n.jpg.8bbd40d4b61b01f319166df931799890.jpg

That is a great picture of you snorkeling! Our experience at Money Bar was very similar- fish EVERYWHERE. We left the camera onshore except one trip out. Of course, that trip out we never got a picture of more than one fish at a time...

Just back from the magic today. We have been going to both Chankannab and Dzul-Ha for years. I shot a bunch of HD video at the Money Bar (Dzul Ha) I will post it under cruise videos as soon as I edit it..It was windy there Friday but still good snorkling. Look for the video in a couple of days.

HoustonVIP

We went to Chankanaab last July with our twin boys 13 and 21 yr old DD. We sat under a thatched umbrella drinking mojitos while the boys snorkeled and my DD lounged in the sun. Snorkeling was great for beginners and we saw some very pretty fish, not to varied, but we didn't venture out too far. Snorkeling groups were way out there and seemed to have a great time. We chose to snorkel on our own without a group.

We also loved the pool area. The area for snorkeling was a bit rough for one of my boys so he cooled off in the pool. They also have sea lion shows and swimming with the dolphins.

We ordered our admission tickets directly from their website in advance and saved about 20%.

Whatever you choose have a great time! :)

If you are considering Chankanaab...we absolutely LOVE this place.

Here is my review from Sept: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

My review from March: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

There are links at the bottom to additional pictures. There is a lot to do here and things to see. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I am a HUGE fan of Money Bar.

We had a decent deal for $60- hour of snorkeling, thirty minute massage, lunch & drink, cocktail and full use of the facility- which I guess is free anyways :)

The snorkeling was awesome..but yes, the current was STRONG. When I was done- I was exhausted..but then it again it doesn't help that I had a lot sun exposure, alcohol intake and not enough water since I had gotten on the ship!

I would highly recommend it. Here are a couple of pics from our trip!

Would you consider this current to be too strong of a current for a first timer adult snorkeler? Thank you.

Would you consider this current to be too strong of a current for a first timer adult snorkeler? Thank you.

Currents there vary, probably with the tides. Wear an inflatable vest (they rent them and the rest of your snorkel gear there) and you should have no issues. Good luck! :)

Archived