This year we are breaking the rules

This year will be our fourth cruise with RCCL. We have cruised with other cruiselines but are now devoted to Royal.

As a family, we have always enjoyed the MDR - we like to do MTD and have a table to ourselves - no, we are not antisocial, we just like dinner time to be 'our' time :)

Last year, as always, we enjoyed three formal nights - and my daughter and I wore floor length dresses.

I have to admit, on quite a few occasions, my daughter and I felt quite over dressed walking through the MDR, as we opted for dresses each night (this was a decision based on the fact that our dresses were lighter, as we always struggle with overweight baggage).

This year, I have decided to rebel and not 'do' formal nights at all. I am FAR from scruffy, but even on formal nights last year, we felt like we were in the minority. Many of the women wearing the same clothes as any other night and the men not wearing a jacket or tie.

It does go against my nature to 'break the rules' but last year we felt there was no difference to most guests between 'formal/casual/smart casual' and I felt uncomfortable not being in jeans or casual skirts like most of the other guests.

Also, most of the guests who wore formal, got changed immediately after dinner, which made me feel that I stood out even more! :eek:

I think that cruises are becoming less formal and my age range (late 40s) are choosing to be more casual.

Has anyone ever been ejected from the MDR on formal night when wearing smart casual instead of formal?

Mixed really

on one formal night on one ship they tried to sit us next to 2 ladies in jeans and fleeces and we refused to share the table after flying these outfits 5000 miles

On another we have seen them refuse entry as the guy did not have a tie on

Pick another restaurant - on formal you can eat in the specialty or the buffet without doing formal clothes or enter in resort casual

What he said............lol.

As I am not a natural rebel, I thought I would 'test the waters' by posting here

I am not a judgy sort of person, if someone is in jeans in the MDR on formal night and I'm dressed up to the nines, I don't care. I am on my holiday, not theirs

But this seems to be such an issue with some people, I would be so embarrassed to be ejected for improper dress code.

As I said, last year I felt like I stuck out a mile just wearing a simple pretty dress on casual night - almost like I SHOULD be wearing jeans!!!

My family really like the MDR - so maybe I will have to pack a dress or two...

This year will be our fourth cruise with RCCL. We have cruised with other cruiselines but are now devoted to Royal.

As a family, we have always enjoyed the MDR - we like to do MTD and have a table to ourselves - no, we are not antisocial, we just like dinner time to be 'our' time :)

Last year, as always, we enjoyed three formal nights - and my daughter and I wore floor length dresses.

I have to admit, on quite a few occasions, my daughter and I felt quite over dressed walking through the MDR, as we opted for dresses each night (this was a decision based on the fact that our dresses were lighter, as we always struggle with overweight baggage).

This year, I have decided to rebel and not 'do' formal nights at all. I am FAR from scruffy, but even on formal nights last year, we felt like we were in the minority. Many of the women wearing the same clothes as any other night and the men not wearing a jacket or tie.

It does go against my nature to 'break the rules' but last year we felt there was no difference to most guests between 'formal/casual/smart casual' and I felt uncomfortable not being in jeans or casual skirts like most of the other guests.

Also, most of the guests who wore formal, got changed immediately after dinner, which made me feel that I stood out even more! :eek:

I think that cruises are becoming less formal and my age range (late 40s) are choosing to be more casual.

Has anyone ever been ejected from the MDR on formal night when wearing smart casual instead of formal?

We have never had a problem with smart casual in the MDR,the maitre d does not care maybe the people dressed to the nines are bothered but I feel so sorry for them go enjoy yourself !

You know I don't think it is only on cruises that people have become more casual

I do not think it is only cruises that have become more casual. I weny to a New Years dinner and normally most people would be in traditional Scottish dress but this year I was horrified to see that I was the only person there who was dressed formally. Most folk had on shirt & pants. Oh everone commented how smart I was but that did help my embarasment at sticking out like sore thumb I think it is more to do with society and your right formal dress is becoming less I am for the first time ever not taking my Highland dress with me on my next cruise in two weeks, although I will be taking a suit. I just wonder that if a company boos said to there employees that a suit should be formal at a dinner, how many employees would turn up in jeans and T shirt. I sympathise with you completely.

Wear what you want, pay no attention to what other people are wearing. I can't imagine why it bothers anyone what I'm wearing. I think the lines are scaling back on requirements since people have a baggage allowance when they fly.

I do not think it is only cruises that have become more casual. I weny to a New Years dinner and normally most people would be in traditional Scottish dress but this year I was horrified to see that I was the only person there who was dressed formally. Most folk had on shirt & pants. Oh everone commented how smart I was but that did help my embarasment at sticking out like sore thumb I think it is more to do with society and your right formal dress is becoming less I am for the first time ever not taking my Highland dress with me on my next cruise in two weeks, although I will be taking a suit. I just wonder that if a company boos said to there employees that a suit should be formal at adinner, how many employees would turn up in jeans and T shirt. I sympathise with you completely.

My husband and I run our own business in London.

Finally summer has started here and you should see what some people are wearing to work!!! :eek:

For my business I have to wear very formal clothes and suffer in heat and silence. I will probably end up making my mind up when we start packing! :D

....... not taking my Highland dress with me on my next cruise in two weeks.......

NO! Do take your 'Highland dress'. Two of the things I love about formal night are the Scots in Highland clothing and the many military dress uniforms.

Raina

We always dress up on formal night as a group. We have about 16 of us, so we all look great together. Typically we do a 'formal' night the first night (and do hair and makeup for each other) and then if there is a second night later on, we do 'cocktail' elegant.

I think if you wanted to bring a cute cocktail length number, you are covered either way. Not too over dressed and a fun opportunity to wear something cute you might not get to wear that often.

Also, a black velvet skirt does numbers. It can go VERY dressy, or just dressy and is easier to pack than a prom/wedding formal.

Wear what you want, pay no attention to what other people are wearing. I can't imagine why it bothers anyone what I'm wearing. I think the lines are scaling back on requirements since people have a baggage allowance when they fly.

You don't have to dress formally on formal nights. It is merely a suggested attire for that night and is no way a requirement.

I do not think it is only cruises that have become more casual. I weny to a New Years dinner and normally most people would be in traditional Scottish dress but this year I was horrified to see that I was the only person there who was dressed formally. Most folk had on shirt & pants. Oh everone commented how smart I was but that did help my embarasment at sticking out like sore thumb I think it is more to do with society and your right formal dress is becoming less I am for the first time ever not taking my Highland dress with me on my next cruise in two weeks, although I will be taking a suit. I just wonder that if a company boos said to there employees that a suit should be formal at a dinner, how many employees would turn up in jeans and T shirt. I sympathise with you completely.

I honestly don't understand this. If the suggested dress is formal, and I am the only one dressed to the 9s, I don't feel embarrassed, because I know I look good. If I am underdressed, that's a different story.

I will bet you looked fantastic.

Oh my, walking on the WILD side for sure! Haha

We retired the formal wear a few years ago and make reservations early at an alternative dining choice. Hubby just not a tux kinda guy. He is preciously adorable in his dockers and LLBean flannel shirt (Alaska).

Oh boy, here we go........ sigh

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Why did I come in here to see what rule they were going to break only discover this is just the latest weekly Formal Wear Thread???? I'm a sucker....I fall for anything! :rolleyes:

Oh my, walking on the WILD side for sure! Haha

We retired the formal wear a few years ago and make reservations early at an alternative dining choice. Hubby just not a tux kinda guy. He is preciously adorable in his dockers and LLBean flannel shirt (Alaska).

Didn't you know?

All us Brits love queuing and hate to break the rules! :rolleyes:

:D

Why did I come in here to see what rule they were going to break only discover this is just the latest weekly Formal Wear Thread???? I'm a sucker....I fall for anything! :rolleyes:

regretting the title already..... sorry

Even though I meant it in a light hearted way - I am looking for opinions as a lot of the formal MDR threads are not targeted towards European cruises.

In my social life here in the UK - most people my age will do almost anything to avoid wearing anything smart. It goes against my nature to break even a suggestion, but I want both. I love the MDR on formal night, but I want to wear a less formal outfit.

On our first RCCL cruise I wore a fantastic ladies dinner suit with a bright pink sequinned top underneath - my goodness, that outfit got a lot of attention - almost as if people had never seen anything like it. Obviously, I did not repeat that one.....

Archived