Caution on items in your luggage

luxury-lizard

We just got off the Solstice this AM - our first ever cruise on Celebrity - I'll post some comments in another thread. I just want to warn others not to pack knives of any sort in your checked luggage (I'm sure there are other things as well).

We had some kitchen knives as well as a Swiss Army knife in our checked luggage - these were in 2 of our 3 bags. When the luggage was delivered to our suite only one suitcase arrived - after 6 hours of asking everyone we could think of about our missing cases we finally got a call to say we needed to personally collect them in "confiscated luggage" on deck 2. We had to surrender these knives for safe keeping.

Now in hindsight we should have realised these knives would be a problem but we just never thought of it. No where in all the copious documentation was there any warning about this - if we had known we could have retrieved our luggage 5 hours earlier - no one we asked even suggested to check with confiscated luggage.

So if your luggage does not turn up when you expect it - go to deck 2 !!!

Many people experience this during a Alaska Crusie tour that board in Alaska. They will buy Ulu knives and then not be permitted to take them on .

Carrying any knife is now a problem. If you aren't stopped at the ship you may be stopped getting on a plane. Anything that resembles a potential hazard is not allowed.

.🎅🎄

We just got off the Solstice this AM - our first ever cruise on Celebrity - I'll post some comments in another thread. I just want to warn others not to pack knives of any sort in your checked luggage (I'm sure there are other things as well).

We had some kitchen knives as well as a Swiss Army knife in our checked luggage - these were in 2 of our 3 bags. When the luggage was delivered to our suite only one suitcase arrived - after 6 hours of asking everyone we could think of about our missing cases we finally got a call to say we needed to personally collect them in "confiscated luggage" on deck 2. We had to surrender these knives for safe keeping.

Now in hindsight we should have realised these knives would be a problem but we just never thought of it. No where in all the copious documentation was there any warning about this - if we had known we could have retrieved our luggage 5 hours earlier - no one we asked even suggested to check with confiscated luggage.

Actually, item #3 under the Cruise/Cruisetour Ticket Contract section of your Guest Ticket Booklet that everyone gets prior to the cruise (we got ours via email six weeks prior) has this to say about knives (AKA: weapons):

3. BAGGAGE, PROPERTY AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY:

a. Baggage Limits and Prohibited Items. Each adult Passenger is permitted to carry onboard the Vessel or check-in only the wearing apparel and personal effects reasonably necessary for the cruise, including suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and similar items. In no event shall any Passenger bring on board the Vessel or check-in, or in connection with the RCT Land Tour, any illegal controlled substances, fieworks, live animals (except under the terms of Section 12.d below), weapons, firearms, explosives or other hazardous

materials, or any other items prohibited by applicable law or Carrier policy. Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate.

Edited by boogs

I always carry a pen knife basically to use the tiny scissors, the nail file, and the toothpick. Here's a picture of this dangerous weapon.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/swiss-army-classic-sd?zmam=18093142&zmac=25&zmas=1&zmap=SA53001&gclid=CMyphtfNwrsCFYtQOgodvy0AFQ

I spent 26 days on Reflection on a recent B2B Eastern Med/TA. On day 3 while coming back from a shore excursion, I made the mistake of emptying all my pockets of all metal, my cell phone, yada, yada, yada. Security confiscated my pen knife because they felt it was a dangerous threat.

I pleaded my case with the security person to no avail. I even offered up the 5" sharp pointed steak knife that I had used for dinner the night before in Murano. :rolleyes: I guess common sense didn't prevail. They didn't confiscate my cork screw which had a blade used as a foil cutter -- about the same size.

It was just such a hassle getting it back after the end of the cruise.

But yet they sell the Ulu knives in the shops on board! :D I always laughed when I saw them, knowing that people had had them confiscated when re-boarding. Never made a whole lot of sense to me.

Beth .... It never made any sense to me either? :confused:

Wonder if you buy one, will you be allowed to take it back to your cabin with you?

LuLu

~~~~

Unfortunately we live in a time when strict security is necessary to protect us from terrorists and mass murderers. Unfortunately it is often difficult to understand where to draw the line.

I always carry a pen knife basically to use the tiny scissors, the nail file, and the toothpick. Here's a picture of this dangerous weapon.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/swiss-army-classic-sd?zmam=18093142&zmac=25&zmas=1&zmap=SA53001&gclid=CMyphtfNwrsCFYtQOgodvy0AFQ

I spent 26 days on Reflection on a recent B2B Eastern Med/TA. On day 3 while coming back from a shore excursion, I made the mistake of emptying all my pockets of all metal, my cell phone, yada, yada, yada. Security confiscated my pen knife because they felt it was a dangerous threat.

I pleaded my case with the security person to no avail. I even offered up the 5" sharp pointed steak knife that I had used for dinner the night before in Murano. :rolleyes: I guess common sense didn't prevail. They didn't confiscate my cork screw which had a blade used as a foil cutter -- about the same size.

It was just such a hassle getting it back after the end of the cruise.

The difference is that they know that the steak knives that Celebrity provides are so dull that you couldn't cut hot butter with them!:D

This happened to me too. We were on the Summit in May. I had made a sewing kit to take along. There was a pair of scissors in it. My suitcase was locked in a room across from guest relations desk. I had to open my suitcase and remove them. After the cruise I had to hunt them down.

I am asking this only out of curiosity....but why does one need "some kitchen knives" on a cruise vacation? I understand a swiss army knife...but am confused by the rest. Just curious! :)

Good question - I was going to explain in my original post. We were travelling in NZ the 2 weeks prior to the cruise and stayed in a holiday home. Anyone who has rented a holiday home will know that they never ever have decent kitchen knives so I always bring my own.

Also, I did not have an issue with the knives not being allowed - it was the 6 hours it took to advise me that my missing luggage was in "confiscated luggage". Also, I note someone else posted an excerpt from the Ts&Cs where "weapons" are indicated as not being allowed - I guess it's pretty easy not to think of kitchen knives as weapons. If I had been aware of this I would have had the knives in my carry-on and then surrendered them at check-in thus not impacting the delivery of my checked luggage.

But yet they sell the Ulu knives in the shops on board! :D I always laughed when I saw them, knowing that people had had them confiscated when re-boarding. Never made a whole lot of sense to me.

Slightly off topic, but there are many instances of this. For example, you can buy knives on an Army installation (post exchange) which are illegal to possess on an Army installation. The sign on the gate says that it is prohibited to bring knives with a blade length of more than three inches onto the installation.

Beth .... It never made any sense to me either? :confused:

Wonder if you buy one, will you be allowed to take it back to your cabin with you?

LuLu

~~~~

Not really sure as no one I've traveled with has ever bought one on the ship! Good question though. :) The only item I've ever known about that you can't take back to your cabin after purchasing is liquor. That gets delivered to your stateroom the night before you disembark.

I'll almost bet if you buy a Ulu knife on the ship, you can take it with you. Maybe because it's packaged and will be most likely given as a gift to someone? Who knows.........;)

well sounds like you did not take a flight, checked in at the cruise terminal, and the bags went through a scanner.

The funny part is the next time when we have to go through security, will be dropping our draws. Because we did not take our shoes and belts off. Something that has not yet hit the cruise terminals yet?

Also getting back at ports. we just have to do the same?

I guess knitting needles are of no threat. monopoles, canes, you name it

Some of these security measures do not make much sense. Why confiscate a Swiss Army knife when (if you have evil intentions) you can take a steak knife from the Tuscan Grill? A cruise ship is not like an aircraft and in all likely hood cannot be commandeered by a penknife wielding terrorist. A cruise ship is actually more like a city. While I am proponent of gun control measures, I think that sewing kits ans penknives are pretty safe.

My DH was selected for a thorough carry-on baggage check at the Amsterdam airport. He took a suitcase that I knew was clean because I had just packed it that morning and nothing was in it but dirty clothes.

They went through it thoroughly but all they could come up with was a small sewing kit, about the size of an Altoids tin which contained a small pair of scissors (blades not more than 1 1/2 inches) and needles. I had forgotten it was in a zip section along with a few other things like band aids, shoe laces, etc. that I leave permanently packed in the suitcase. By golly, they confiscated them! I guess the inspector felt like she needed to find something, anything, to make it worth her time to pick through the suitcase (lol).

Tucker in Texas

I can't find specifics on www.Celebrity.com, but sister line RCI specifies a maximum of 4 inches for scissor blades.

Specifics copied from the Celebrity site:

What not to Pack

For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors*

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

Alcoholic Beverages**

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

Edited by rwr235

I am asking this only out of curiosity....but why does one need "some kitchen knives" on a cruise vacation? I understand a swiss army knife...but am confused by the rest. Just curious! :)

I had a set of knives in my packed luggage to use in a gift exchange that were confisscated and given back at the end of the cruise.

The steak knives in the dining room were similar (but probably sharper) than those they took from me. Silly rules on ships are nothing new.

Many people experience this during a Alaska Crusie tour that board in Alaska. They will buy Ulu knives and then not be permitted to take them on .

On our Alaska cruise last summer, they simply made people check the knives with security when they reboarded the ship. The knives were given back at the end of the cruise after disembarkation.

My DH was selected for a thorough carry-on baggage check at the Amsterdam airport. He took a suitcase that I knew was clean because I had just packed it that morning and nothing was in it but dirty clothes.

Tucker in Texas

Because one of the questions asked, did you or anyone else packed your bags, your husbands bag and some one else did , you. a good cause to check..

guess if there was a cruise that asked leave everything home, we still bring stuff.

Edited by fishycomics

Unfortunately we live in a time when strict security is necessary to protect us from terrorists and mass murderers. Unfortunately it is often difficult to understand where to draw the line.

That is very true for the safety of others.They did the right thing and I will never give them hard time doing their job as told.;)

That is very true for the safety of others.They did the right thing and I will never give them hard time doing their job as told.;)
I also will not give the inspectors a hard time for doing their job as told - especially since it is very counter-productive as they will proceed to make your experience as miserable as they can.

I do however reserve the right to point out to those who make the rules the utter stupidity of a lot of those rules (eg I can carry on an airplane knitting needles and ballpoint pens which are far more effective at killing people than the one inch keyring Swiss Army knife which is forbidden). Newsweek had an article a few years ago written by the retired head of security at El Al (who have what is almost without a doubt the toughest security system in the world), outlining how most of US aircraft security is for show and is generally pretty ineffective. When you combine ineffective with over 400 TSA employees fired for theft (and those are just the ones who got caught), I am not under the illusion that the system is working.

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” Benjamin Franklin