Historical Trujillo By Tram

LAWTONCRUISE

• 1 month later...
Did any of you first to Trujillo cruisers take this tour. I was wondering if it is worth the time and money.

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply but I never noticed this thread until now. I was on the second Jewel cruise and did the tram tour.

The big thing that turned out to be different than advertised was that they didn't actually have trams. Instead they used small buses that held a couple of dozen people. I can't remember what the issue was that caused them to not have the trams but they said it was temporary, just not how temporary.

The buses had AC, but it wasn't the greatest. I actually think it would have been better to leave the bus windows open. Our tour guide was a little nervous and his English was lacking in a couple of spots, but I'm sure with practice they'll get better.

We left the port about twenty minutes late because they wanted to fill up the buses. We all thought they should have stuck to the advertised time even if the bus wasn't full as it wasn't the most comfortable place to wait. Besides being warm inside, the buses were made in Korea for people with smaller physiques and shorter legs.

Once we finally got going we wound our way up the hill to the town center. Once there we stopped for about fifteen minutes to allow people to visit the cathedral, the fort, and some vendors. There was a Caribbean festival of some sort going on at the time as well. After we loaded back on the bus we proceeded to visit various parts of the town while our guide told us about the history of the area. Towards the end, we passed the old cemetery (which I would have liked to see) and the guide offered to stop and let us off. I think most of the passengers were tired and overheating by that point so the consensus was to not stop and head back to port.

If I had to to do over again I would have just caught a taxi to the town center, looked around for a while and listened to the music, then walked back to the port. We passed numerous decent looking restaurants along the road behind the beach, but after getting back to the port we didn't feel like walking back to get lunch.

We talked to numerous people who did walk and none said they felt unsafe. There are police on just about every street corner in Trujillo right now as they want the port to be successful. I'd love to visit Trujillo again and just walk around.