Chilled Strawberry Bisque on RCCL?

sanibel

Didn't even know RCL made it. I've never had it before, but I've heard great things about it on the Carnival boards. Here is the Carnival recipe:

Strawberry Bisque w/ Picture

strawberry8ix.jpg

Strawberry Bisque

3 c strawberries, washed and hulled

1 ½ c water

¾ c sugar

3 T lemon juice

1 t grated lemon peel

1 ½ c red wine

1 c. sour cream

fresh mint leaves

Directions:

Combine strawberries, ½ c water, and sugar in a blender. Cover and blend the mixture until pureed. Stir in lemon juice, peel, 1 c. water and wine. Stir in sour cream until blended. Chill for several hours before serving and garnish with mint.

Thanks for the recipe but I think it's very different. The RCCL chilled strawberry bisque is bright red and I'm almost positive it doesn't have red wine.I'd be surprised if it had sour cream. It seems to be primarily strawberries, some sweetener, and something else, perhaps a little lemon juice.

But thanks for your recipe!

• 2 weeks later...

That Carnival recipe doesn't sound right - too many ingredients, I think. I've had it on every cruise, and enjoyed it very much. However, I've found a shortcut, and can barely taste the difference. Don't laugh, but this is how I make Strawberry Bisque:

1 16-oz. pkg. frozen sliced strawberries and juice

1 12-oz. Cool Whip, thawed

3 tbls. confectioner's sugar

2 tbls. sour cream

Put strawberries and juice in blender or food processor. Mix other ingredients and whisk till smooth. Chill an hour or so before serving. Delish. I'm a retired chef from N.O., and these days I tend to do shortcut cooking.:D

That Carnival recipe doesn't sound right - too many ingredients, I think. I've had it on every cruise, and enjoyed it very much. However, I've found a shortcut, and can barely taste the difference. Don't laugh, but this is how I make Strawberry Bisque:

1 16-oz. pkg. frozen sliced strawberries and juice

1 12-oz. Cool Whip, thawed

3 tbls. confectioner's sugar

2 tbls. sour cream

Put strawberries and juice in blender or food processor. Mix other ingredients and whisk till smooth. I guess you could add a few drops of red food coloring, if you want it red instead of pink... Chill an hour or so before serving. Delish. I'm a retired chef from N.O., and these days I tend to do shortcut cooking.:D

I've found a shortcut, and can barely taste the difference. Don't laugh,

No reason to laugh about a shortcut. I use them too when I find one, and sometimes I find one that is BETTER than the hard version. Ice cream, for example...I serve a homemade ice cream each afternoon, different flavor each day, and rather than cooking a custard base, I use sweetened condensed milk for the base. I found it to be better, and a lot easier, than the "cooked and cooled" version. I'll have to try your strawberry bisque recipe. I served that dish just this past Sunday evening - did it with freshly whipped cream, though and then folded the confectioner's sugar-sweetened, pureed berries into the whipped cream. It was delish! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the strawberry bisque is my all time favorite item on RCL ships. I asked if I could have it another night and our head waiter said he's see what he could do. Sure enough, as soon as I sat down, here come two bowls! I asked for the recipie and on our last night, my head waiter handed me a sheet of paper with the recipie! I thought, GREAT!! Then...as I read it later I saw it listed in the ingredients "fruit syrup" and strawberry topping". Now what the heck if that???? Maybe I'll ask on my next cruise. Anyway, here is it for 100 Servings!

CHILLED STRAWBERRY BISQUE

8 kilograms frozen strawberry topping

3 kilograms fresh strawberries

6 liters Fruit Syrup for chilled fruit soups

500 grams lemon juice

4 liters vanilla ice cream

garnish

100 grams mint leaf, julienned

Blend all ingredients in mixer until smooth and keep refrigerated

Serve in chilled soup cups and garnish with julienne of frest mint.

------I'm going to try the posted quick recipie !!!

• 1 month later...

This is from Cruise Critic LibertyBelle and is the RCCL recipe that was posted a while back on the RCCL boards.

She posted:

Strawberry soup.

1 pint (150G) Fresh Raspberries (gently washed)

1 pint (150g) Fresh Strawberries (gently washed and trimmed)

2 cups (500ml) sour cream

1 cup (250ml) whole milk

1 cup (250ml) Ginger ale

1/4 cup (60g) Granulated Sugar

2 tablespoons triple sec ( Triple Sec is an alcohol... It is a very refined, white Curacao and tends to be very sweet.)

2 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice

Fresh Mint leaves (for Garnish)

1. Reserve 6 of the strawberries and 12 of the raspberries for garnish. In a blender or food processor combine the remaining berries and puree until smooth. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve over a nonreactive bowl, pushing through as much of the pulp as you can, leaving the seeds behind.

2. Whisk the remaining ingredients, except the reserved berries and mint, into a puree. Cover and refrigerate until cold. To serve, divide the soup among chilled soup bowls and garnish with the reserved berried and mint leaves.

We made it one time and while it was not exactly perfect it was really good. Can't wait to sail again just to have it.

I rec'd this from our waiter years ago while we were on the Tropical.

2 cups frozen strawberries

2 cups of milk

1 cup whipping cream

1/2 cup sour cream

sugar to taste

I have fixed this many times and it is just like what you are served on the ship.

Hope you enjoy

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the RCCL cookbook and they have the chilled red berry soup receipe in it. Here is the receipe just in case this is the one.

1 Pint fresh raspberries, gently washed

1 Pint fresh strawberries gently washed and trimmed

2 Cups sour cream

1 Cup whole milk

1 Cup ginger ale

1/4 Cup granulated sugar

2 Rablespoons triple sec

2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Fresh mint leaves for garnish

Reserve of the strawberries and 12 of the raspberries for garnish. In a blender or food processor combine the remaining berries and puree until smooth. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve over a nonreactive bowl, pushing through as much of the pulp as you can, leaving the seeds behind.

Whisk the remaining ingredients, except the reserved berries and mint, into the puree. Cover and Refrigerate until cold. To serve, divide the soup among chilled soup bowls and garnish with the reserved berries and mint leaves.

Enjoy!

Hope this is the receipe you are looking for. This is directly from their cookbook.

Happy Sailing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived